Let's list all the places that won't accept ARC

Considering the amount of Vietnamese women married to Taiwanese, I would think they should know what an APRC is. Must have been an untrained employee, for which I would blame the airline.

Would imagine the vast majority of Vietnamese women married to Taiwanese are on JFRV’s rather than APRC’s. Can’t see their husbands splashing out 10K in order to make it easier for them to stay in Taiwan in the event of a divorce!

3 Likes

After 3 years, they often go to naturalization directly.

2 Likes

Permanent APRC means you need to change the ‘permanent APRC’ when your passport expires and changes the PP#. :face_with_raised_eyebrow::scream: FOR FREE, but you need to spend half a day away from work.
Really smart move of the government, :smirk::thinking: no need to put a PP# on the APRC, an APRC should be a proof of ID in itself, it also should not have all the crap printed on that allows people that find it when lost are able to steal your ID if they wanted to.

6 Likes

I would imagine that it would make sense to put a 10 year period expiry date on APRC cards so they do not confuse anyone. Most would need to have details changed within that time-frame anyway, as Passports are rarely valid for longer than that.
But that would be too easy :thinking:

Most likely untrained staff. Never had a problem with full-service airlines. When I pointed out it says “permanent” he tried to tell me my birthdate must be the expiration date. Yes, it makes perfect sense I’m holding a card that expired in the 80s. Then he insisted the issue date must be the expiration date.

In the end, unsurprisingly, it was a matter of “there’s a box on the form for a date and I need to write something in it”. Made me feel like I was already back in Taipei :slight_smile:

I think China Airlines or EVA - one of the biggies- did have questions. And definetively Delta.

Ever since the visa-free entry program started, I rarely even get asked to show APRC. The only place I can remember getting asked was the Asiana counter at LAX. God I hate LAX…

Yeah… Right on… Actually for most banking here they could not give a d**** about my APRC. They just wanted my passport and then they will throw me any form that F*** uncle sam is asking them to fill out.

But really, please type out the Chinese Title of the Card. And then tell us which word means “permanent”.
Also, I’d love a sarcastic way in Chinese to say… “When does Permanent have an expiration date?”
My daughter says Chinese don’t really have a way to be sarcastic that give you that nice biting feel that English does.
Ask my wife. Twenty years plus of this needless BS gets even most caring person discouraged.
Last question… Does the Taiwanese ID card expire? If it doesn’t, that can be added to the sarcastic package.

I’m in Bit Coin limbo. I can’t access my US bank account via Bit Coin because CoinBase does not accept US passports as ID. I can’t get a state ID since all my documents expired. I got by because the family had a home. But now they passed and the home was sold.

外僑永久居留證

永久居留證從什麼時候開始註明居留期限?

2 Likes

some better than expected news -

I was at the Maokong Gondola earlier today. The guy at the turnstile said they accept ARC for the Taipei resident discount. (I asked, though I still paid full fare because I left mine at home.)

Happened to me in Kansas City. It was a United/Malaysia Airlines deal. ARC wasn’t good enough. They demanded a return ticket.

What do you call an intelligent person in Kansas City?

A visitor.

1 Like

Thanks.

Go Royals!

Yeah, I had a very pleasant experience paying the local fare and also jumping the queue last year (you can go straight to the turnstile if you is local).

Forward Taiwan just posted this to their Facebook page.

Please submit information about websites, apps, and other places where you cannot use your ARC number to the National Immigration Agency Director’s Mailbox.

Please double check that your ARC number still cannot be used and give them enough detail and screenshots to follow up effectively. They are quite responsive but please be patient if the English is not perfect.

This ‘platform’ was designated by the NIA for this issue a couple of years ago in response to a request by the European Chamber of Commerce Taipei but many members of the international community are unaware of its existence.

We apologize for the delay in reporting on the meeting on this issue in late May. It will be up soon. Thank you for your great response at such short notice.

https://www.immigration.gov.tw/sp.asp?xdurl=bossmail%2FmailfEN.htm&mp=2

4 Likes

One of my favorites is the Taiwan mobile promotional site. $499 a month unlimited data on a one year contract… after entering in all the data it says sorry you’re a foreigner , you need to go to the shop directly where they then say, oh that’s an internet only promotion, not for foreigners
I should send that one on

I don’t think this is about discrimination against foreigners. If you look at it from a programming perspective, it seems more likely that whoever programmed the systems didn’t think to include ARC type IDs. They probably only account for the first character being a letter and everything else a number.

I don’t think it’s active discrimination, but it’s an alarming trend that needs to be stopped. The most recent update to the Taipei Police app now requires a citizen ID number to file a report. The “oh we just didn’t think about it” excuse doesn’t hold when it’s access to police services being denied to non-citizens.

2 Likes

So is this a smartphone app or a general purpose application that police use when taking reports from anybody including tourists?