Lost and Losing Interest

Man, there’s some cynical peeps in this thread. :confused:

You know most girls you meet in Taiwan aren’t “xiaojie” unless you’re actively trolling clubs for them. People are people. Some suck, but most are normal.

In fact, they all are. Every single loving one of them.

Some of the members have been here awhile and have had very similar experiences. I would agree (and trust) their remedy in making negatives into positives, ignore the haters and pay some dues, you are newbie after all!

No matter what kind of job you may take like an English teacher or even a martial arts instructor, there’s going to be a learning curve since you don’t have experience and you’ve never done it before! Don’t be too hard on yourself!

4 Likes

And we have a very old very unknown Taiwanese saying: “If the chicken tastes good, eat it”

1 Like

@padraig

Don’t lose your hope and faith.
I believe you can get a job one day just keep believing to your self.

When I came here I don’t know a single word and until now still poor in Mandarin.
I even tried to go to free chinese class after work at the end I can’t finish it because I got hectic job at trading company and taking care my kiddo.

Now, his in university and working at the same time so thinking to go back to 1st grade. :rofl:

You see I can’t write and read Mandarin but hey I 'm alive and surviving.

1 Like

Is psychiatric help available in Taiwan?

I thought it was a huge taboo here. Like if an employer finds out you have “issues” then that is more or less the end of your employment.

He can go to the Community Center in Tianmu and they will help him charging a fee according to his possibilities.

Every hospital has psychiatric counselors on staff.
Any employer who terminated someone for that reason would find themselves in big trouble with the government

It’s not 1965, FFS.:roll:

He is eating 50 ntd bientangs and has no job currently.

1 Like

He doesn’t have any money for psychoanalysis and his immediate problems are related to lack of money.

Have, focus on making some money first.
If you get a job offer in China all expense paid think hard about taking it and save some money.

I would have said its easier to make money in the US myself with a certain amount of education or willingness to learn a trade.

1 Like

I think he doesn’t have health insurance here with noARC or contributions.

Hi JB, thank you. This is something I always thought about, and it is really good advice. Do you think if I can get a job teaching “preschool”, do you think that would be good, because it has less steep of a curve, better hours, and allows more free time to accomplish other goals and have a life.

Hi Liub, thank you for the good advice. You are so right and gave good perspective about what priories are important.

You are right Viator. I felt bad when I heard how much Taiwanese people make. Also, your advice was useful, thank you.

Hi Hoffacurse, your advice was good, and I appreciate. I have a friend who runs a Jiu-Jitsu academy in Xiamen, and he works at a university too. He said the conditions are very good. Thank you for also helping to relate

1 Like

Thank you Toe_Save, and also that is very nice for you to say. It also offers perspective that makes me feel better. You are right, it also goes to what @Andrew7 said. When I first got here I was more focused on the short term but then I lost my way and let my negative thoughts consume me. It was like that moment in Inception that he had been in the lower level so long that, although he was the same person, and nothing changed, he let time and negative thoughts take over. Your’s and @Andrew7 comments were really helpful at helping me gain my original perspective from 3 months ago. Thank you

Thank you Greikos, you are so right. Your comment reminded me if something a YouTuber named DaveTrippin said, that no situation is perfect and even if you don’t love your job 100%, it is a means to an end. Thank you for helping me gain perspective

If it makes you feel better, I just finished my first day teaching here and feel like shit. I’m subbing classes, and they added more students to each one after my interview. No assistant. I’m glad I didn’t share any identifiable information cause I’m gonna say… That really helped me realize I hate kids. Really wish I pursued a personal trainer job or something similar.

My wife works the hours you were originally offered. I just finished an entire afternoon and couldn’t imagine doing more. You’re not missing anything. I really just need a smoke and a beer… Or twelve.

1 Like

Hi Tango, you are right and thank you for your comment. I actually train Jiu-Jitsu everyday, and there are some nice foreigners and Taiwanese people there. It does help

Hi The Wanderer, thank you for your advice. It makes me feel a lot better that I am not alone in my situation, and that you had a similar circumstance.