Map addicts!

This ends in a couple of days on eBay:
1764 BELLIN MAP OF TAIWAN or FORMOSA
I can be amused for hours just looking at a map of anything. An atlas is a lifetime of fun.
I shouldn’t show this one cause I might want it, but:
Rare 1933 Map FORMOSA Taiwan & TAIPEI

Taihoku? This is VERY cool.

Why don’t you get one tatooed on your arm?

Wow, that second map is really cool. How much do you think it will go for Wolf? How much will ytou bid for it. I might bid for it myself, but don’t want to get into a bidding war with you and I’d have to register for ebay and all. Just scan me a copy if you get it OK?

I couldn’t save the enlarged pictures of that map by right-clicking. I remember there’s a trick to doing this. Does anyone know how?

I’ve asked before, but does anyone know where to buy or even see old maps of Taipei (don’t have to be antiques or originals - I just want anything from about 1990 and before - I’m a big fan of maps too).

Brian

Alas John, what with the dragon and the naked lady, there simply isn’t any more room.

Depends. Taiwan is, in the words of a former expat, “a food stain on the necktie of the world,” and I doubt that many people are interested. It is a pretty arcane item for people outside Taiwan.

Interestingly, the map of Taipei I use is one I got new in 1985 over by the former main train station. It is pretty used, but still has some gems (it’s in English).
Who can tell me where the “Lunatic Asylum” is? :wink:

zhongshan and zhongxiao? :slight_smile:

some interesting stuff on that old map. interesting what the cks memeroial hall was, the monopoly bureau is still where it was along with a lot of other stuff.

It worked fine for me in Opera.

Several reproductions are on sale at the SMC bookstore and the nearby Taiwan/Daiwan store (whatever the hell it’s called).

This might be a good time to give another plug for Reed University’s excellent “Formosa” collection. It consists mainly of nineteenth-century materials.

It also has a map section.

If anyone here wins that, please let me have a look. I want to examine those street names a little closer.

The bidding is already at US$41, and there’s another day to go. :shock:

Somebody’s going to pay too much for that.

The two bidders of note: one with no purchases and a newbie. Bet I know where they live…
US$41 is only NT$1,400. If you are a real Taiwan-hand, it would make a very cool framed addition to your house. Of course it will go for more than that… :wink:

All right – I’ll admit, I’m one of the 2 bidding for the map. Just wanted to make sure the other person isn’t a poster (no pun intended) here. If you are, please come out and let’s work something out!

How would you work something out?
I may bid, but frankly, if it goes much higher than where it is now, well, good for the winner.
See, if I had kept my big fucking mouth shut, 1) I could have snagged it for a song, and 2) you wouldn’t have even heard of it.
(So when I lose, I should get a free color photocopy of the Taipei section as a tip :sunglasses: )

Well, game theory says we reveal how much our true willingness to pay is, and if yours is higher, you obviously value it more so we stop bidding now. If mine is higher then you allow me to outbid you and stop bidding. This way a Forumosan get it, but doesn’t pay more than is necessary.

Of course if we agree to these rules it’d be in our best interest to say a higher number than we’re really willing to pay…

Honestly, I’m willing to pay about $55.

You need to look at how eBay works. You can make a bid to your maximum and the computer will only bid if someone outbids you. The computer will continue to bid up to your maximum even if you are offline.

So if you bid 100 and then log off, and someone bids 45, the computer will automatically bid you to 46 (or whatever the minimum is to be ahead). This will continue until you win or are outbid past your maximum.

Right, but say we’re the only 2 bidding, and your “sealed maximum” is $100, and mine is $99. If we don’t reveal to one another, you would end up winning, but end up paying $99.50. If we reveal right now, I’m saying I would stop, and let you win at $41.

I still think this is too much for the map, though I don’t dispute its coolness or desirability one bit. First, note that it was removed from a book. (There is a special circle in hell for people who do that, but that’s a separate matter.) Then note that the book – the whole book, not just one map – can be had for as little as 60 euros, though the cheapest copy is missing two general maps of Japan.

I’ll go to 100$ … just joking. Nice map though, would like to have too.

Anyway, when using IE the pictures clicked on and viewed will be in your windows\temporary internet files folder with JPG extension.

Than copy and paste to any other folder to keep them.

The auction’s over. The map went for US$122.50 – way too much money. Seems to be a sellers’ market.

As it happens, I’ll be in Hamburg next week. I will check out the book store.

An update – I got back from Hamburg yesterday, and acquired the Official Guide to Japan from the HAMBURGER ANTIQUARIAT Keip GmbH. Paid 60 Euros. It is in good condition, although a bit faded.

It is definitely interesting. For example, in the history section under modern history, it says

(The book was published in 1933).

Here’s something from the introduction:

Excerpts from the section on Taiwan:

This is where the famous map from eBay falls.

Et cetera. The itinerary continues for 14 days. I will type out if there’s demand.

This goes on for about 10+ pages. Again, if there’s interest, I will quote.

The shop was closed when I went, but some persistent bell-ringing and the pleas that I have come all the way from the United States made the shop owner allow me in to browse. They had many other Baedecker (sp) travel books, including one on the “Deutsch Reich,” published in 1936.

–BAH

Also, it would be interesting to find establishments that still exist today in Japan. Some Inns (ryokan) list their phone number (actually a phone “name”) and prices. I dare someone to go and demand to pay 2 yen for a night because it says so in this guidebook!

Musha must be Wushe, a place high up in the Nantou Mountains. Only went there a couple of weeks ago, there’s a great view on a lake and the mountains.
Wushe is also famous for the Wushe Incident, a revolt by the aboriginals against Japanese oppression. There’s still a monument in the town.