Move Taiwan to a different time zone!

Move Taiwan to a different time zone (ahead)?

• Great idea, let’s file a petition
  • Leave as it is
  • Move it in the opposite direction

0 voters

Having been to Germany recently where it was still bright until 9pm I was wondering if we shouldn’t move Taiwan to a different time zone, say one or two hours ahead (so 6am would become 7 or 8am).

That way it would be longer dark in the morning - which shouldn’t be an issue since most companies start work late - but it would be longer bright in the evening so we can enjoy more of the day (in particular those leaving the office a bit late).

What do you think? :eh:

Maybe the typhoon will move us over a couple of zones.

Georgia just changed time zone from GMT+5 to GMT+4

That’s a splendid idea, Rascal. At least we could do so for three or four months in the summer. It gets light before 5 a.m. at this time of year, and unless one is a habitual early riser, that wastes a lot of precious daylight. If we could shift it a little so that the new day dawns at about 6 o’clock and we get an extra hour of daylight in the evening, that’d be very nice indeed. I really miss the sun-kissed evenings and 10 p.m. twilight of English summers. :frowning:

Moving Taiwan to GMT -9 would surely have us heading for the bomb shelters. Interestingly, China has one time zone. :astonished:

Great idea. Let’s do it just to piss China off! :smiling_imp:
But seriously, it’d be great to have another of twilight to go exercize outside :slight_smile:

I’ve often thought it would be fantastic if Taiwan had what we call ‘Daylight Savings’ in NZ and the Brits (I think) call ‘British Summertime’. That’s basically where you put the clocks back an hour at the start of Summer so that you get an extra hour fo daylight in the evening. The farmers don’t like it thoug, because they say it disturbs the cows.

Brian

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]I’ve often thought it would be fantastic if Taiwan had what we call ‘Daylight Savings’ in NZ and the Brits (I think) call ‘British Summertime’. That’s basically where you put the clocks back an hour at the start of Summer so that you get an extra hour fo daylight in the evening. The farmers don’t like it thoug, because they say it disturbs the cows.

Brian[/quote]

The US and Canada do this too (at least I think Canada does) and we call it Daylight Saving time. However, there are a few holdouts, even in the US. I used to live in Indiana and most of the state, with the exception of a small section, didn’t change. Just like living in Taiwan, that made it difficult to remember when to call the folks. Part of the year, I’d be on the same time, part of the year I’d be an hour behind. Here I’m 12 hours ahead during the summer and 13 hours ahead during the winter. :loco:

taiwan used to have daylight savings. but for some reason they eliminated it. (when this was - i’m not sure). oh it’s spring forward and fall back.

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]I’ve often thought it would be fantastic if Taiwan had what we call ‘Daylight Savings’ in NZ and the Brits (I think) call ‘British Summertime’. That’s basically where you put the clocks back an hour at the start of Summer so that you get an extra hour fo daylight in the evening. The farmers don’t like it thoug, because they say it disturbs the cows.

Brian[/quote]

Don’t the farmers know that cows can’t read clocks?

An extra hour to sleep in? Where do I sign? :bravo:

[edited]

Wait a minute…I’d have to get up an hour earlier? :loco:

Whose bright idea is this anyway?

Of course Americans have Daylight Savings time. Every American kid learns about it as one of the 101 Great Ideas the Smartest American Dude Ever came up with.

webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/franklin.html

Uh… I know this is a super old thread, and this topic has also been discussed in the Tsai’s Go South policy thread:

but I guess this thread title is still more relevant, so… here’s to reviving a post from 2004… wow, I was still stateside back then…

The point is, now there really is a petition to move Taiwan’s time zone from +8 to +9.

I’ve sure many have pointed out in the past that geographically it makes sense for Taiwan to be in the +8 zone, however, in terms of utilizing sunlight, it makes more sense to be in the +9 zone.

I doubt that’s ever going to happen but it’d be good if it does.

1 Like

I prefer having extra time early in the morning than in the evening. Kids must have an extra buxiban hour and lose an hour sleeping time if it happens.

They already have buxiban classes to 10PM. How would moving the time zone mean more or less time for the kids at buxiban?

I agree. But the current time zone is beneficial for kids who wake up early and make their way to school. I’m stunned seeing the number of kids out very early in the morning commuting to school. Currently Taiwan is also on same zone as one of largest trading partner, China.

"Go South"countries like Philippines, Singapore, Malaysia, a big part of Indonesia, and Western Australia are all currently on same time zone as Taiwan.

But which “Go South” countries is Taiwan trying to line up with?

I expect they just put kids at buxiban till 11pm, current 10pm.

Taiwanese don’t appreciate sunlight as mush as European do.
Many of them do some exercise in a park before the sunrise or after the sunset.

Taiwanese are children of the night, they love dark apartments.

1 Like