Q: about changing Working ARC to JFRV based ARC

I’m Russian living here in Taiwan and have working ARC. I’m planning to marry soon with my GF and apply for JFRV. Can somebody clarify one question: do i need to leave taiwan and reenter again by tourist visa or i can apply for JFRV and change ARC without leaving Taiwan?

thanks for forum! many useful posts here! although 99% of foreigners here seems are from USA or Canada and seems all are working as teachers and many topics look as “especially for teacher from North America” :slight_smile:

A work based ARC can be changed to a JFRV in Taiwan. This can be done at the MOFA. If I remember correctly, it takes a few weeks to receive your JFRV.

thank you!

sadly can say that funkymonkey is not right.
process of getting JFRV includes canceling working ARC BEFORE getting JFRV. So, after cancel of working ARC you have to leave Taiwan and then apply for JFRV at Taiwan trade mission at your country :frowning:

may be USA citizens have easier rule to change WARC to JFRV visa, but other countries no.
…seems i have to already used to Taiwan Government’s nationalism and discrimination depend on country where are u from…

[quote=“tairus”]sadly can say that funkymonkey is not right.
process of getting JFRV includes canceling working ARC BEFORE getting JFRV. So, after cancel of working ARC you have to leave Taiwan and then apply for JFRV at Taiwan trade mission at your country :frowning:

may be USA citizens have easier rule to change WARC to JFRV visa, but other countries no.
…seems i have to already used to Taiwan Government’s nationalism and discrimination depend on country where are u from…[/quote]

Tairus, this is not correct in general, maybe your country is not being treated fairly, but for most there is no requirement to cancel working and ARC when converting.

This is directly from the BOCA website. Did the rules change? They mention nothing about different rules for different countries.

More information here: http://www.boca.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=1866&ctNode=113&mp=2

Where are you getting your information from? It sounds completely inaccurate to me.

[quote=“tairus”]sadly can say that funkymonkey is not right.

…seems i have to already used to Taiwan Government’s nationalism and discrimination depend on country where are u from…[/quote]
That is rubbish. I’m not a US citizen and I did not need to leave the country. Some local official is either a) lying to you or b) has no idea what they are talking about.
This is Taiwan, so either one of the above could be the case.
They told me I had to pick up my clean criminal record document in person by flying back to the UK. Total nonsense – I didn’t have to do that either.

your words a little bit calming me down.
What i can do? I called boca’s visa department by number 2343-2885 and woman said, that i have to leave taiwan first. Then i asked who can explain me this situation and she asked me call her chief Mr.Lo (anyone here know him?) by number 2334-2891. I called him and get the same answer that i have to leave taiwan first and apply for JFRV in my country (oh, God, i have to pay USD1500 and retire from my current work!). He just said “it’s rule. I suggest you to leave taiwan and apply for JFRV at your country”. I tried to understand why he “suggest” instead “require”, but he didn’t answer, just repeated “it’s rule”.
The funny (if this word can be suitable in my case) thing is when i applied for Taiwan’s working visa 2 years ago in Russia they issued me only visitor visa which i had to change to working visa in Taiwan. I’m sure with JFRV they will issue the same visitor visa and i will need to change to JFRV again here in Taiwan and that expensive roundtrip will look totally useless. just money threw away.
Later, i called foreigner aid hotline (i forgot precise name) 0800-024-111 and they couldn’t answer me need i leave Taiwan or not. after many “may be” and “possible” they ask me contact to MOFA by phone 2343-2885 which i mentioned above… dead-loop…

What can i do now? I will go to MOFA tomorrow morning to try to clarify it.
Last two months Taiwan’s laws according foreigners took so many my nerves, so i don’t know how long i can keep…

P.S:

[quote]This is directly from the BOCA website. Did the rules change? They mention nothing about different rules for different countries.

More information here: boca.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=186 … e=113&mp=2
[/quote]

if you will read Attention number 6 on the same page then you will find that:

There regulations do not apply to those who enter the ROC on landing visas or with visa-exempt entry, or to foreign laborers currently in Taiwan.

if someone can tell me his/her story of changing WARC to JFRV then call my mobile 0911942991 (Alexey). I understand that i could talk with non-competent person, but what to do if this person is in charge of issuing visa? can chief be non-competent?

Actually, i tried to find any official (*.gov.tw) site where clearly written that changing WARC to JFRV doesn’t require leave Taiwan, and couldn’t find. The procedure of changing which passed by many people on this forum from official point of view looks like just rumor. I can not tell to boca’s worker that according information from www.forumosa.com they have to issue me visa without leave.

To apply, gather the documents you need. These are:

1. Marriage certificate (translated into Chinese and authenticated by the Taipei rep office in your home country if you got married there.)
  2. Medical health check certificate. You can get this at many hospitals but I’d recommend Ren-ai, as they’re used to doing these checks.
  3. Your wife’s household registration document (hukou), with your name added to the “remarks” section.
  4. A clean criminal record document from your home country. This one can be tricky, depending where you are from, but if you’ve been here for five years or more and can prove it, you don’t need this, either.
    In order to prove it, you take your passport to the Bureau of Immigration and get a computer printout of all your exits and entries, which you take to the foreign affairs police. They’ll give you a local clean criminal record in return.

That’s it, as far as I can remember. Anyone, am I missing anything? Gather all your documents, take them to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and submit your application. There’s a special area on the second floor for doing this.

You might also ask your BOCA friend why there are application forms and a special MOFA section for issuing JFRVs if they can’t even issue them here in Taiwan!

Once again, your guy is talking complete shite! Just bypass him and make your application.

Oh, and one more thing – if you go back to Russia and apply for a JFRV, the Taiwan rep office there WILL tell you to fuck off. They will (maybe) issue you a 30 or 60-day visitor visa and tell you to apply for JFRV in Taiwan.

[quote=“tairus”]if you will read Attention number 6 on the same page then you will find that:

There regulations do not apply to those who enter the ROC on landing visas or with visa-exempt entry, or to foreign laborers currently in Taiwan.[/quote]

Did you enter Taiwan on a landing visa or with visa-exempt entry? You never said you were a “laborer”. What is your job in Taiwan? We can’t fully help you unless you give us all the relevant information.

The site I gave you http://www.boca.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=1866&ctNode=113&mp=2 is the official BOCA website. What job do you have in Taiwan?

Pretty close.

Required Documents:

1. Original and copies of documents related to marriage (must be authenticated by an ROC representative office stationed abroad), original to be returned after processing.

2. Alien Permanent Resident Certificate;Alien Resident Certificate;or household registration documents or documents showing legal residence for Hong Kong or mainland-area residents in Taiwan.(original and one copy- original to be returned after processing).

3. Health certificate (as above).

4. Passport (valid for six months and with blank pages); one photocopy each of the passport’s basic information page and page showing entry into Taiwan.

5. Visa application form (applicants must personally sign for confirmation; the form can be requested at the counter or downloaded from our website)

6. Two 2x1.5-inch color photographs taken within from the last six months.

7. Other requested documents for certain individual cases.

Surely not, if he has an ARC? And I thought there were strict rules in the government as to what comprises a “foreign labourer” (read “brown-skinned person”). I’ve never heard of a non-Asian “foreign labourer” here.

I was thinking the same thing.

My job is Engineer (programmer). I have Working ARC based on my employer (IT company).
Ooops, I just thought that “labourer” is synonym for “worker” (any worker).
Thanks to pointing me to “labourer”. I think tomorrow, when I’ll go to MOFA, this problem will disappear. Looks like their visa department trying to frighten asking people. I know that every small chief wants to be looked at as a big chief.

Probably this case is the same.

You are definately not a foreign laborer.

I would still print the page from the BOCA website just in case. Government workers are well known for having absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Best of luck.

one more question. They also said I have to provide documents that I’m not maried in my country to any other person. Is it true or again bulshit?

Actually, i tried to register (legalize) our marriage (we maried in Taiwan) in Russia and it turned out that none of the Russian offices privide such service. In Russia I only got one answer over and over again – you already have marriage certificate from Taiwan and this is enough to treat both of you as spouses in Russia. So, I can not obtain such a document in Russia.

I am sorry to inform you that the correct time to get this document (popularly known as the “single certificate” or “certificate of no impediment”) is before you are married !!!

I know of no countries that issue such documents retroactively …

i have this document :slight_smile: i did 2 copies of this document to marry here in taiwan. i’m only not sure that i will finish all documents in 3 monts (counting from date i’ve got this document). I didn’t understand clearly what kind of document they asked. is it the same as single certificate to let me marry or document about russian legalization of our marriage.

strange thing is that no mention neither about CCRD nor this single certificate on official boca page boca.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=186 … e=113&mp=2