Quit Being Babies!!! (World Baseball Classic)

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2016/10/03/480031/CPBL-withdraws.htm

This is fatal to the team if Lamigo won’t release its players.

No Ake, no Lin Hongyu, no AAA-level slugger Show. No way we advance.

Gosh this country is embarrassingly dysfunctional. Korea is laughing its socks off right now.

Get it together! baseball is really the only sport we stand equal and can compete with on the world stage. I was really looking forward to this years WBC.

Nayaw Ake’ is with the Elephants this season, so you don’t have to worry about Ake’. However, no Lin Hongyu, Chun-Hsiu Chen and Wang Po-rong could be trouble. Even though this is a slugger’s year, Monkeys pitcher Chen Yu-hsun could be really helpful in Team Taiwan’s bullpen.

However, I fully support Lamigo Monkeys decision to not allow its players to participate in tournaments led by the Chinese Taipei Baseball Association.

Last time the Player’s Association have made it clear that the CTBA would only use “national honor” as an excuse to ignore player’s rights and demands. To give into that pressure again just empowers the CTBA.

Remember how the Badminton Association wanted to ban a Olympic badminton player and her coach because she didn’t wear the shoes made by the Badminton Association’s sponsor? She didn’t wear them because the shoes don’t fit and the shoes were just given to her a few days before the Olympics.

The Baseball Association is exactly the same brand of incompetent money grabbing jobless ex-KMT officials who can’t even buy insurance for the players, get them proper meals or hotels to stay in, and asks these professional athletes to squeeze themselves into the economic class seats.

I hope the other teams follow Lamigo’s example. So we lose yet another WBC, it ain’t like Team Tawian made it pass the first round before. At least by taking down the CTBA, professional players can have a peace of mind in the future, instead of just get pressured into these international tournaments.

2 Likes

[quote]The Baseball Association is exactly the same brand of incompetent money grabbing jobless ex-KMT officials who can’t even buy insurance for the players, get them proper meals or hotels to stay in, and asks these professional athletes to squeeze themselves into the economic class seats.
[/quote]

That’s the premise for understanding all official sports organizations in Taiwan. The current president of Chinese Taipei Baseball Association is 廖正井(wiki)

When he was still a legislator in 2012, he took an aid with him to Taipei Railway Station, threatening a female railway ticket clerk, who refused to give another KMT legislator a VIP treatment, that he would get her fired. Did they carry baseball bats with them that time? The news reports did not say. So this instance shouldn’t have anything to do with him getting his current baseball job.

You’re right. I forgot Ake signed with the Elephants. Still a bummer not to have Fatty and the Show.

Thanks for the background on the CPBL’s decision. I tried reading the Chinese news and I thought the CPBL refused because the CTBA picked a coach they didn’t like.

But we did advance past the first round last time. I don’t want to wait another 4 years.

so is this a for sure thing? I’m sure the players might fight back because it’s once very 4 years. I felt like Taiwan could take on Korean and Japan this time around. Our young players have been playing well.

WBC is a professional level tournament. So Taiwan’s professional league should be in charge of putting together a team.

The player’s association is with the CPBL against CTBA taking charge. Last year, TPBPA (Taiwan Professional Baseball Players’ Association) announced to boycott the Premier12 games in Japan after talks with the CTBA broke down. CTBA slapped “unpatriotic” labels on the players, while refusing to answer TPBPA’s 4 simple demands.

1. The players should be insured during training and the tournament.

2. Representatives of TPBPA should be invited and involved with all meetings, organization, drafting, and training preparation.

3. During training and the tournament, a TPBPA representative should be allowed to be present to handle matters related to player’s rights.

4. Any proceeds related to the tournament should be examined by the public and any proceeds derived directly from the players should be shared between the player and TPBPA.

It was CPBL that supported the players’ demands and fought for the players to get equal compensation for the Premier12 as WBC, and finally resolved the crisis. The manager for Premier12 selected by the CTBA, was Kaku Taigen, the same one they want for this WBC.

Kaku Taigen was a hell of a pitcher, but a pretty lousy manager. He’s mentality is stuck in his glory days, and wants his players to play like it’s Japan in the 1980s. He loves to play small ball and abuses reliable pitchers. He famously asked his star pitcher Lin Ying-jie (林英傑) to just take a few pain killers and pitch till the pain stops, when his star pitcher felt constant pain in his arm. He then had Lin pitch in almost every single post season game in 2005. Lin pitched 6 of the 8 post season games (including the Taiwan series), for a total of 21 innings. Kaku San also had him pitch 12 innings within 3 days. Lin’s career was over after 2 seasons playing under Kaku.

So under Kaku San’s management, Team Taiwan did terrible in the 2015 Premier 12. Team Taiwan failed to make it into the quarter-finals, despite the fact that the qualifiers were held in Taiwan, and that Team Taiwan’s hitting and pitching performance both ranked at number 4, delivering 9 team homeruns, the most in the tournament, all without even playing in the quarter finals.

But hey, it’s Kaku Tai-gen, national hero for winning bronze at the 1984 LA Olympics, who cares if more young pitchers get abused or sluggers get forced to bunt.

So in short we are fucked with some of our best players not being able to play? And it doesn’t seem to be able to change anytime soon.

Yeah, but the team is fucked by having a manager stuck in the 80s anyway. I mean they had everything going for them during the Premier 12 qualifying rounds. They had the home team advantage, they had top players from every club, Japan Korean and the US were in the other group… It was just tragic.

The 2013 WBC team was put together by the CPBL. I don’t know why this time CTBA got their hands on the ball, but I’m ready for an unpleasant WBC… more unpleasant than Premier 12.

That’s just silly, baseball is like the only sport that Taiwan can shine in on the international stage. The love for baseball is deep here and for them to screw the national team over some petty shit is just wrong. I wonder if any players have spoken out? I’m guessing getting to play in the WBC representing their country for any athlete is one of the greatest things you can do. And plus i’m guessing there will be plenty of MLB scouts in those stands, it could be a shot for guys that really do well to get contracts in the US instead of these shitty 1 year contracts here.

Tell that to the CTBA.

You can’t lord “national pride” over the players year after year. Especially if the players’ rights are not treated with respect. In this information age, fans and players knows how players from other countries are treated, and to see a bunch of money grabbing morons deny the basics to the players just so they can put more money in their pockets is not good for moral.

I’m with the players, and even though the other 3 teams have now said they will permit their players to participate, I hope the Players’ Association will stand up to the CTBA again this time.

Either CTBA gets scrapped, or CTBA leaves professional tournaments, or Taiwan’s baseball will continue to suffer.

There is hope. Freddie Lim, the hip young metal star legislator is defending the Players’ Association’s demands. Someone who can read better tell me if he’s actually rolling out legislation.

Coach Kaku has already rolled out the 50-man roster, with no Monkeys on it due to “respect for the team.” But the roster can change.

I’m really hoping for Fatty and The Show to participate.

We have enough depth among pitchers.

Then there’s this teaser:

談到明年經典賽時,陳偉殷表示可能得由協會通知球隊,先讓球隊知道這件事,之後的討論可能是尊重球團的安排。