Say hello to my little friend

I love geckos. And you are lucky to have one: it feeds on insects.

I used to have so many of them in my first floor apartment. I didn’t mind having them around. I quite enjoyed the little guys. I did not enjoy having so many Brown Huntsman spiders though. I’m from Chicago and we don’t see huge spiders like that where I’m from. Scared the crap out of me so many times. I know, after researching, that they mostly eat insects, but I just couldn’t bare to live in a place with such a huge spider, so i killed so many of them. I also had a bat make itself comfortable on my porch.

A few weeks back we had a bat come and stay in our building’s stairwell for a day. All the windows are left often for ventilation. I thought this bat was being a bit eccentric, hanging out inside our lit stairwell at nighttime when the other bats were outside in the dark, flying around. Perhaps it just wanted to sleep in.

Most Taiwanese I speak to do not believe there are bats in Taipei but I see them all over, flying around streetlights after insects.

Aww, I see bats flying around all the time in Hsinchu too, always wanted to see one up close. They are adorable.

Here in Yilan I live in a 4 floor building that is surrounded by rice fields. At the ground floor we have geckos and ants that keep roaches away. On the stairway it’s easy to find geckos hopping around making their cool clicking sound. And then when the sun goes down and mosquitoes start to show up, hundreds of bats start flying around our building.
Unfortunately they don’t stop rove beetles :confused:

Found one in a cup of tea I’d left out overnight. Fortunately noticed it before taking a sip. Ergh!

In England, we have some bats living around the church. My cat is a dick. He doesn’t even eat them, just chews their wings off and leaves them twitching on the floor so the short-sighted humans step on them while they’re looking for their glasses, in the morning. They scare the dog, too.

[quote=“Ducked”]

Found one in a cup of tea I’d left out overnight. Fortunately noticed it before taking a sip. Ergh![/quote]

For a second, I thought you meant a bat.

Again, I am distressed to report the death, this time by kamikaze jump, of another full grown, huge gecko. There I was, doing the dishes, letting the water run to take come of the gunk away, and when I start moving the dry dishes around, out pops not so bright gecko … jumping into the flowing water and into the drain. To quickly to do anything about it. RIP.

There are many hanging around the dishes at any time, maybe I should really find a way to give them their own, non lethal water dish.

[quote=“Icon”] There I was, doing the dishes, letting the water run to take come of the gunk away, and when I start moving the dry dishes around, out pops not so bright gecko … jumping into the flowing water and into the drain. To quickly to do anything about it. RIP.
[/quote]

Stop showing Finding Nemo to the geckos.

I was hoping he had managed to cling to one of the dishes before being swallowed or maybe something along the way down. Alas, even as I stopped the water, I waited in silence for a little head to appear. No such luck.

Maybe yes, a la Nemo, he’ll come out the other way… or out the other side of the Rainbow Bridge.

Poor thing. I was delighted to find a gecko in my kitchen the other day… but haven’t seen it since. How did you manage to keep your cats away from your friend for so long? I wonder if my cat left it alone.

Nothing. As said, most of the time, roaches, moths, geckos… they all just go over their heads and they do nothing. They are 15 years old, that’s 80 in human years,

Hello little fellow.i have same creature revolving around My room’s ceiling.eat mosquitoes ,small worms and buuterfly etc.

Guys and gals, I really need help in buiding a geecko watering station. We had another unfortunate demise by drowning. Any suggestions? Poor thing, he was huge, but fell in a soup bowl with some water at the bottom… not the prettiest sight early in the morning.

The ball’n’chain managed to do this to our resident lizardy thing in the garden. He is resident no more.

I had to explain to her about frog ladders.

A frog ladder is basically a branch that you put into anything that frogs might otherwise get trapped in. Anything that froggy feet can grip will do the job. One end rests in the water and the other end rests on the rim. Frog falls in, frog climbs out.

Works with geckos too, I guess.

There are reptile pet stores around, perhaps they can offer the best advise. They have one of those in Hsinchu, where it’s all reptiles, from turtles to snakes to geckos. Surely they have one in Taipei as well.

facebook.com/Sailor.reptile/

台北爬蟲類寵物店-水手兩棲爬蟲水族館- 台北市內湖區成功路四段61巷25弄1號 TEL : (02)2793-8000

台北爬蟲類寵物店-新旺水族寵物- 台北縣新莊市中正路853之6號1F Tel : (02)2906-8778 Mobile : 0922-747379

台北爬蟲類寵物店-大毅水族爬蟲專門店- 台北市萬華區和平西路三段14號 TEL : (02)2336-8907 Mobile : 0918-012158

台北爬蟲類寵物店-竑躍爬蟲水族坊-台北市士林區中正路655巷3弄1號1樓 TEL : (02)8811-1070 0913-483720

what I can find online so far.

[quote=“finley”]The ball’n’chain managed to do this to our resident lizardy thing in the garden. He is resident no more.

I had to explain to her about frog ladders.

A frog ladder is basically a branch that you put into anything that frogs might otherwise get trapped in. Anything that froggy feet can grip will do the job. One end rests in the water and the other end rests on the rim. Frog falls in, frog climbs out.

Works with geckos too, I guess.[/quote]

:blush: But, but… I did not do it on purpose. :cry:

However, as a reasonably undamaged specimen, he will live on as part of my colleague’s taxidermic display.

[quote=“hansioux”]There are reptile pet stores around, perhaps they can offer the best advise. They have one of those in Hsinchu, where it’s all reptiles, from turtles to snakes to geckos. Surely they have one in Taipei as well.

facebook.com/Sailor.reptile/

台北爬蟲類寵物店-水手兩棲爬蟲水族館- 台北市內湖區成功路四段61巷25弄1號 TEL : (02)2793-8000

台北爬蟲類寵物店-新旺水族寵物- 台北縣新莊市中正路853之6號1F Tel : (02)2906-8778 Mobile : 0922-747379

台北爬蟲類寵物店-大毅水族爬蟲專門店- 台北市萬華區和平西路三段14號 TEL : (02)2336-8907 Mobile : 0918-012158

台北爬蟲類寵物店-竑躍爬蟲水族坊-台北市士林區中正路655巷3弄1號1樓 TEL : (02)8811-1070 0913-483720

what I can find online so far.[/quote]

Thatnks. I’ll look for one in Xindian. That did not occur to me, but given the endangered current population -though it is difficult to concentrate when you are watching TV and something is scurring about just by the corner of your eye. No, my cats do not scurry. They crash noisily. And Bobby carries a bell on his collar.

Oh, I know. Just sayin’, you can’t stop them falling in, but you can help them get out.

Just get some bits of climb-able wood or plastic and drop them into any pot that animals are likely to get stuck inside. They’ll figure it out by themselves.