Solution for the mold :|

Has anyone figured out how to keep control over never stopping mold growth in the house?

Run dehumidifiers all the time when it is wet, and/or turn on your aircon for an hour.

You can’t let your place stay wet all the time.

Get a humidity gauge so you know the relative humidity in your place. When it gets above say 80% turn on the machines.

Absolutely. Dehumidifiers are vital.

They are quite expensive to run non-stop though, watch out for that.

I thought electricity was dirt cheap in Taiwan.

I can only agree with what is said. Buy a dehumidifier with a MASSIVE collection bucket and then empty that sucker as often as you can. Otherwise, unless you own your apartment you could always try just not giving a crap about the mould. :sunglasses:

Really? I run my all the time and my electric bill in only NT1400 for two months when I don’t need to also use heat or aircon.

So, I need to buy a dehumidifier now :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, they are like 1500nt/2000nt or something. They all work, just get the generic brand at Geant. No need to buy zojirushi or other expensive brands. Also, get one with a large and easy to remove water catcher.

Yeah, they are like 1500nt/2000nt or something. They all work, just get the generic brand at Geant. No need to buy zojirushi or other expensive brands. Also, get one with a large and easy to remove water catcher.[/quote]

Where can I find one so cheap? They are usually over 4-5,000 everywhere I have looked.

Yeah, they are like 1500nt/2000nt or something. They all work, just get the generic brand at Geant. No need to buy zojirushi or other expensive brands. Also, get one with a large and easy to remove water catcher.[/quote]

Where can I find one so cheap? They are usually over 4-5,000 everywhere I have looked.[/quote]

I expect I am remembering wrong. :blush:

hahaha yeah, I guess so. Mine just costs a fortune because I have to run many…have a 4 level house in the mountains. Have a massive tray that fills up overnight! ugh

Open

The

Windows

Where can I find one so cheap? They are usually over 4-5,000 everywhere I have looked.[/quote]

I expect I am remembering wrong. :blush:[/quote]

Nah you’re probably looking at them in Tesco. Is it true what a friend said that they can be picked up for 30quid?

[quote=“monkey”]

Open

The

Windows[/quote]

Those are always open, all four of them :sunglasses:

At the moment we have 80% humidity across the house even with the windows open, and we’re running dehumidifiers for about 16hrs a day. As has been said, get a digital humidity from B&Q or somewhere and get a dehumidifier or run the aircon when you’re out.

What about the mold that’s already growing on the walls? How do you get rid of it? Anyone tried using Clorox to wipe it down?

Open

The

Windows[/quote]
When it’s sunny out. Opening the windows when it’s raining would only let in more humidity.

I wouldn’t run the dehumidifiers when out: they have a nasty habit of occasionally melting. Another reason not to buy the really cheap ones.

There is another thread somewhere in which Icon lists the reputable brands and models.

I’ve used bleach and also Lysol spray.

I have no idea how you can get that kind of humidity indoors (especially at these low temperatures) unless you have pools of standing water in there. Even on the muggiest summer days following a thunderstorm, my place never gets over 70%. The only place I ever lived in that had a mold problem was due to an unventilated bathroom with a soak-the-floor type shower arrangement.

Anyway, I guess the fastest way to fix the problem is to use your A/C in dehumidify mode. Obviously, if you don’t seal doors and windows properly, then you will be fighting a losing battle.

Having been there (see: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=87301&p=1321538&hilit=Battle+of+the+mold#p1321538 ) I can tell you that the dehumidifier is NOT optional. Had great results cleaning stuff with vinegar -better than Clorox, IMHO- and using lots and lots of this buckets of dehumidifiend powder in all closets, cabinets and boxes. Spray on Lisol may also do the trick. I have an organic cleaner, a French thinghie that smells like almonds which is the final touch so your home will be fragrant, not moldy or smelling like a morgue -from naphtaline balls.