Superhero movies from now - 2020

[quote=“jimipresley”]Deuce, you miserable fucker!

You nailed it, dude. :2cents:

Superhero shit for kids.

It’s pretty sad, actually.

Kinda like Star Trek.

Grim.[/quote]

Ehem, wait a minute there buddy. :tic: :rant:

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]

What happened to taking a great book and making it into a movie. Do we gotta wait a decade for Richard Linklater to make another film?

Thank fucking God for HBO, Showtime, AMC and Netflix original programming.[/quote]

Wait, you praise HBO? Whose most popular show is the Game of Thrones, which in your words would probably also be a piece of nonsense dreamt up by a nerd.

Good book or not has nothing to do with whether or not the book is or isn’t science fiction/fantacy/comic book. The same goes with movies. The medium/genre doesn’t determine the quality of the content. Next you are going to say movies are brainless, whatever happened to good writers just writing good books.

Just because someone made a movie out of a really good book, it can still be a piece of crap movie. Didn’t they remake the Great Gatsby not that long ago? You sound as if there are no Superhero movies there will only be movies like the English Patient. In reality, there would just be other kinds of blockbuster visual effects movies to fill the vacancy, and whether literature adaptations gets made or not has very little to do with how many superhero movies are made…

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]I’m going to just go ahead and ignore DD and JP because yeah, there are lots of crappy superhero films, but there are some great ones too, just like every genre that has ever existed.

I’m a big fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, even though I had no idea who most of these characters were before they showed up on the movie screen. (As a kid, the only comic I read was Spider-Man.) That’s because the general quality of the movies is good, the characters are entertaining, and I’m totally blown away by their ability to keep things internally consistent and make references to other works in the series. Instead of only caring about the hear-and-now, the writers of each film drop plotlines and people that can develop into new stories. In other words, it’s the antithesis to the “bring back the bad guy from the first one” schlock we see in series like Transformers. It’s a project on a scale I’ve never seen before, and that makes me really invested in where it goes next.

Now let’s talk about DC and how they will not be able to replicate that success. Captain America is really the only one of the current Avengers who can be called a superhero. While the others take part in superheroics, they are not in the Batman-Superman-Spider-man mold of “put on a costume, dish out justice,” and that’s one of the things that has kept the series interesting. Even more importantly, their origin stories are loosely connected, so it’s not this random and contrived plot of “how do you get the awesomest guys together” as many cross-over films have been in the past.

DC will hard pressed to do this. There is no reason that Superman and Batman and Wonder Woman and freaking Aquaman will have to meet up and work together instead of going about their own crime-fighting lives, and it will be hard to come up with a villain so li hai that we need all of these guys to combine their powers to stop him. Not to mention Superman can do everything by himself, so what’s the point? Additionally, they seem to be taking a “throw everything at the wall and see what sticks” approach instead of a convincing long-term storyline. I also think they don’t have the same sort of one-man in charge thing going on at Marvel Studios, so it will be easy for just one bad film to poison the superhero well.

But even more importantly: They are overestimating our patience. People like comic book movies now, a trend that probably started with Batman Begins (2004). That was 10 years ago. I don’t think the craze over superheroes will be able to last 16 years. So Shazzam and Cyborg and Green Lantern have the the odds stacked up against them.[/quote]

The thing is that they already have awesome movies, heartbreaking movies, challenging movies, seriously awesome movies for the DC Universe… all in animated form. Especially the ones where the main heroes -Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman et al work together … or clash one against the other. These are not our Sunday morning cartoon of our -well, mine- childhood. So, of course, the executives see the reaction from the critics, the fans hollering to have these made in LIVE form… and that is where we are now. If they follow the same stories, it could work. But if not enough guts/budget…

The newest comic books are also a whole new dish. They claim the new TV series are following their lead. I haven’t seen them, so I dunno.

You say Shazzam I think Shaquille O Neal. :roflmao: Which is actually better than Green Lantern’s Ryan Reynold’s.

Cyborg. Mmm, pity Idris Elba already has a role in Thor… :lovestruck:

Isn’t he a bit old for that role? Already having played a superhero doesn’t matter. Ryan Reynolds went from Green Lantern to Deadpool, and Chris Evans played Human Torch before putting on the Cap’n Crunch armor – both Marvel characters.

PS I’m cautiously looking forward to the Constantine series that begins this week. I liked the Keanu Reeves movie but apparently it’s really different from the source material, so we’ll have to see.

Isn’t he a bit old for that role? Already having played a superhero doesn’t matter. Ryan Reynolds went from Green Lantern to Deadpool, and Chris Evans played Human Torch before putting on the Cap’n Crunch armor – both Marvel characters.[/quote]

He’s like a good wine… :howyoudoin:

I really can’t understand that Reynolds guy. I mean, big franchise, he’s in it. he is not that pretty, acting chops it ain’t… fuggeit.

I mean, Elba brings a lot to the screen, but even if he didn’t, he could just stand there and breathe…

Critics and fans in specialized forums all begin with the phrase “forget Keanu!”. :cry:

I’m crossing my fingers that there is a resemblance to sting in the lead role of the Constantine series. Why isn’t it called Hellblazer like its original source material?

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”]

What happened to taking a great book and making it into a movie. Do we gotta wait a decade for Richard Linklater to make another film?

Thank fucking God for HBO, Showtime, AMC and Netflix original programming.[/quote]

Wait, you praise HBO? Whose most popular show is the Game of Thrones, which in your words would probably also be a piece of nonsense dreamt up by a nerd.

Good book or not has nothing to do with whether or not the book is or isn’t science fiction/fantacy/comic book. The same goes with movies. The medium/genre doesn’t determine the quality of the content. Next you are going to say movies are brainless, whatever happened to good writers just writing good books.

Just because someone made a movie out of a really good book, it can still be a piece of crap movie. Didn’t they remake the Great Gatsby not that long ago? You sound as if there are no Superhero movies there will only be movies like the English Patient. In reality, there would just be other kinds of blockbuster visual effects movies to fill the vacancy, and whether literature adaptations gets made or not has very little to do with how many superhero movies are made…[/quote]

You’re grabbing at straws, you know we are on nerd shit overload, and no, I don’t watch Game of Thrones either. HBO has other shows, Boardwalk Empire for example which does a great job threading history with fiction, not just a bunch of goblins, ghosts, ghouls and men who leap tall buildings in a single hop, or however the old axiom goes.

I’d heard rumors a few years back that they were making Ulysses 31 into a live action movie. Wonder if it’s still going to happen. That’s a good example of spacification. Ulysses + space = ace! It rhymes so it must be true.

If I remember correctly, the international box office is something like 70% of the market now. Hollywood is producing content that translates easily into other languages and cultures, hence all the superheroes and explosions. Kapow. Superheroes and other ‘franchises’ are brands, basically, that international audiences can recognize. You can’t just start new brands and expect people to buy the product, which is why Hollywood is averse to new stories and characters.

I unwillingly saw a Batman movie about 20 years ago and thought it was rubbish. :smiley: I don’t expect things to improve now that non-English speakers in developing countries are the target audience.

just like there were western overload, WW2 overload, this fantasy/superhero overload phase will too come and go, and it will leave some quality works and a load of crap.

Loved, loved the cartoons. Live would be really expensive. And could be a disaster. Like that valiant attempt the Japanese did with Spaceship Yamato. The anime was such a classic, the recent live movie… a valiant attempt. Simply not the budget/story/character engagement.

I heard they were actually going to try/did try to make Ghost in the Machine a live version. Now that would be something.

Currently waiting for the live version of Bebop Cowboy anime, even if the actor choices are, if as per latest info, puzzling.

Already a movie franchise with the same name. Maybe the rights were too expensive?

Already a movie franchise with the same name. Maybe the rights were too expensive?[/quote]

Are you confusing it with Hellraiser? The only Hellblazer listing on imdb is an 8 minute film.

It appears the name was a possibility.

torontosun.com/2014/10/16/ma … onstantine

Already a movie franchise with the same name. Maybe the rights were too expensive?[/quote]

Are you confusing it with Hellraiser? The only Hellblazer listing on imdb is an 8 minute film.

It appears the name was a possibility.

torontosun.com/2014/10/16/ma … onstantine[/quote]

Could be. But I do remember reading something along those lines in some forum.

Steady, mate.

I noticed The Sandman is on the list. I’ve been a fan of Neil Gaimans for a long time. I actually picked up one of his books recently for traveling purposes, American gods , haven’t got too far into it yet, but its not bad so far. He was also the writer of Coraline for those of you that saw it. Definitely not your usual comic book stuff, Im not sure how easy it would be to make a movie of The Sandman though.

Hellblazer is the name of the original comic centered on Constantine, but it ended last year or the year before and they replaced it with a comic titled… Constantine. By the way, the last syllable rhymes with “time,” not “teen.”

For DD and other naysayers, I’m pretty surprised you write off a whole genre just because. If you can give me reasons why superhero movies are objectively inferior to other films, I’ll accept that as your opinion; otherwise I’m just going to assume you’re all too insecure to get in touch with your slightly nerdier side. :wink:

Because they’re targeted at the 14-year-old male demographic? You know, the kids who actually read comic books before the age of video games. I guess I’m just not that interested in what’s going on in the minds of 14-year-old boys. Cause that would be kinda creepy. :smiley: That said, there have been a few I found surprisingly watchable, like Thor, Captain America and Hellboy, so I don’t discount the genre completely.