Superhero movies from now - 2020

You’re claiming it’s targeted at 14-year-olds, but I don’t see that. Certainly some of the movies are, but watch Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy and tell me with a straight face that it’s intended for kids. That stereotype disappeared alongside George Clooney’s rubber nipples in Batman & Robin.

I’d do that, but I couldn’t bring myself to sit through the whole thing…just too damn boring. Oooh, it’s so DARK and EDGY! Yawn…

I’d do that, but I couldn’t bring myself to sit through the whole thing…just too damn boring. Oooh, it’s so DARK and Edgy! Yawn…[/quote]

It sounds to me like you’re just refusing to watch it based on prejudice. Of course you’ll dislike comic book movies with that attitude. I’m going to continue to enjoy them (well, the good ones) for what they’re worth.

I’d do that, but I couldn’t bring myself to sit through the whole thing…just too damn boring. Oooh, it’s so DARK and Edgy! Yawn…[/quote]

It sounds to me like you’re just refusing to watch it based on prejudice. Of course you’ll dislike comic book movies with that attitude. I’m going to continue to enjoy them (well, the good ones) for what they’re worth.[/quote]
I actually sat though the first one and half of the second before throwing in the towel…time that I’ll never get back. Only judice, no pre. Calling him “the batman” doesn’t suddenly make him interesting. But like I said, I did find movies like Captain America watchable. Adding a few creepy Nazi bad guys always spices things up a bit.

Well, to each his own. I find sports movies excessively boring an have never been able to sit through even one. :-/

[quote=“Dr. Milker”]
I actually sat though the first one and half of the second before throwing in the towel…time that I’ll never get back. Only judice, no pre. Calling him “the batman” doesn’t suddenly make him interesting. But like I said, I did find movies like Captain America watchable. Adding a few creepy Nazi bad guys always spices things up a bit.[/quote]

Then I’m sure you’d find X-men First Class enjoyable as well. There are Nazis and Commies, what’s not to like.

With that I heartily agree. Especially baseball. I almost slit my wrists watching Field of Dreams.

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“Dr. Milker”]
I actually sat though the first one and half of the second before throwing in the towel…time that I’ll never get back. Only judice, no pre. Calling him “the batman” doesn’t suddenly make him interesting. But like I said, I did find movies like Captain America watchable. Adding a few creepy Nazi bad guys always spices things up a bit.[/quote]

Then I’m sure you’d find X-men First Class enjoyable as well. There are Nazis and Commies, what’s not to like.[/quote]
Sounds intriguing. Now if they could just remove those annoying X-men from the script. :sunglasses:

Too many superhero movies these days IMO…
Can’t blame them for milking it for what its worth, but once they start coming out with Ant Man and Dr. Strange and Wonder Woman… Ehhhh I’ll pass on these. I love me some Avengers, but if they give Black Widow her own movie, it will only prove to the women what everyone else already knows. No one wants to see a woman as a lead actress in a super hero movie–no matter how HOT she is. Women are all getting upset because of the fact that men are dominating the super hero movies and they want a piece of the pie. Whats going to happen when Black Widow or Wonder Woman comes out and only makes 100 million and is deemed a failure? Oops, am I being sexist again? :slight_smile:

Let me just describe the premise of a show for Deuce Dropper and jimipresley:

A deeply religious yet divided backwards country was colonized for years. Their colonizers were immensely discriminatory towards them and their religion, and were only there for the country’s rich natural resources. Their colonizer stripped mined the country using oppressed native laborers. Groups of natives had been fighting for their independence, but due to the vast difference in equipment and men power, most of them resorted to terrorism, bombing and assassinating targets of interest without much concern for civilian casualties. In the end, the colonizers had enough of the pestering suicide bombings. They have already robbed the place dry and decided to leave it since it is no longer profitable to be there.

Having just “won” their independence, the provisional government decided they need outside help before they revert back into a civil war, and called for a super power’s assistance.

A career military man is assigned to station at this place as the head of the defense and security cooperation. He was at first reluctant to accept the post, since he lost his wife to a terror attack, and has to raise a young boy as a single father, but in the end he was touched by the spirit and perseverance of the natives, and decides to aid them to become a part of the international community against infighting, religious politicking, terrorism, leaders of the provisional government being former terrorists, surrounding nations wanting to share of piece of the pie after new natural resources were discovered, and many natives seeing him and his troops as just another occupying force to kick out.

Would the show I just described be worth watching?

[quote=“Dr. Milker”][quote=“hansioux”][quote=“Dr. Milker”]

Then I’m sure you’d find X-men First Class enjoyable as well. There are Nazis and Commies, what’s not to like.[/quote]
Sounds intriguing. Now if they could just remove those annoying X-men from the script. :sunglasses:[/quote]

you can’t. several of them are really difficult to kill.

Well, no, “this one is starring a woman” isn’t enough to get me interested in a film, just like saying “this is a black superhero!” or “this superhero has a Texan accent” wouldn’t draw me in… Unless the character himself/herself is interesting. Your assertion that nobody wants to see a woman-led superhero movie sounds like someone from the 80’s saying “nobody wants to see a superhero film starring Wesley Snipes. I mean… he’s black!”

I’m beginning to think that even as a self-professed super-green, you wouldn’t want Tsai Ing-wen sitting in the Presidential Office…

I actually think Black Widow is what carried Captain America 2, she made a movie about political intrigue a lot more interesting with her spy background.

The problem with the Marvel universe movies is that since Captain America, they had setup a really boring nemesis, Hydra. Hydra served as an ok group of bad guys in Cap 1. It was interesting in Cap 2 for taking over shield. But it is inherently a boring group because they are just there to take over the world… that’s a pretty bland goal for bad guys in these day and age. So if they want to keep up the political tension, they need to either spice hydra up a bit or remove them from the plot really quick, or do it in their TV show.

Well, no, “this one is starring a woman” isn’t enough to get me interested in a film, just like saying “this is a black superhero!” or “this superhero has a Texan accent” wouldn’t draw me in… Unless the character himself/herself is interesting. Your assertion that nobody wants to see a woman-led superhero movie sounds like someone from the 80’s saying “nobody wants to see a superhero film starring Wesley Snipes. I mean… he’s black!”

I’m beginning to think that even as a self-professed super-green, you wouldn’t want Tsai Ing-wen sitting in the Presidential Office…[/quote]

Name one super heroine that you would be just as excited to see as you were the Guardians of the Galaxy or The Avengers?
I’m very much a fan of these Marvel, DC super hero movies, but honestly, I can’t think of any.
So technically what I’m saying is, super heroines are not interesting enough to carry a movie by themselves.

I actually think Black Widow is what carried Captain America 2, she made a movie about political intrigue a lot more interesting with her spy background.

The problem with the Marvel universe movies is that since Captain America, they had setup a really boring nemesis, Hydra. Hydra served as an ok group of bad guys in Cap 1. It was interesting in Cap 2 for taking over shield. But it is inherently a boring group because they are just there to take over the world… that’s a pretty bland goal for bad guys in these day and age. So if they want to keep up the political tension, they need to either spice hydra up a bit or remove them from the plot really quick, or do it in their TV show.[/quote]

Agreed that I liked Black Widow in Cap2. Don’t get me wrong. I like Black Widows inclusion into the Avengers. I just see her as a supporting actress as opposed to a lead actress. What does it say when a woman super hero has to be super hot (Scarlet Johanssan, Jennifer Lawrence) for them to be relevant in a comic book movie?

I’m beginning to think that even as a self-professed super-green, you wouldn’t want Tsai Ing-wen sitting in the Presidential Office…[/quote]

Name one super heroine that you would be just as excited to see as you were the Guardians of the Galaxy or The Avengers?
I’m very much a fan of these Marvel, DC super hero movies, but honestly, I can’t think of any.
So technically what I’m saying is, super heroines are not interesting enough to carry a movie by themselves.[/quote]
This goes back to the 14-year-old male demographic thing. At that age, they’re still more into preadolescent power fantasies than they are into girls, so the idea of a female lead doesn’t do much for them.

So technically what I’m saying is, super heroines are not interesting enough to carry a movie by themselves.[/quote]
This goes back to the 14-year-old male demographic thing. At that age, they’re still more into preadolescent power fantasies than they are into girls, so the idea of a female lead doesn’t do much for them.[/quote]

I would disagree. These Marvel and DC super hero movies have blown up to the point where I would think the majority of the fanboys watching these films are above the 14-year olds with preadolescence power fantasies. I still say a female lead would not do much for even a 33-year old “straight” guy, such as myself.
Just to name a few off the top of my head:

Catwoman
Electra
Barb Wire : Who didn’t sleep through the first 2 hours and stay awake for the end? :slight_smile:

I think it would be pretty difficult to find anyone who gave a good review for any of those 3 movies…

There are a lot of very cool X-women, but they don’t tend to get their own titles. I am however getting a little bored of “handsome mature-looking white guy saves the world” plotlines.

But you’re right, it’s not that having a woman in the lead makes a movie boring, it’s that comic book writers haven’t given us many female roles interesting enough to warrant their own films.

Remember that Hollywood gives women 30% of all speaking roles, and most are as vocal support for male cast. Most are just “flower pots”. So a lead is also “inconceivable” to Hollywood writers.

Comic book heroines actually depart from the mold in recent years. A much more violent and rounded Wonder Woman, Yellow Canary and Harley Quinn’s conflict, etc. But it is a tough one to crack when more attention is put at oversized curves than character development, in a media already plagued with shallowness.

Again, because they know who butters their bread. It’s just good marketing, which is what these movies are all about to begin with.