Superhero movies from now - 2020

Nope. We were talking about the one that gets confused with space Jesus: youtube.com/watch?v=OZ4c1X5ene8

Actually, I still think that makes a pretty good rule of thumb, ha. The ones I liked are the exceptions that prove the rule. :sunglasses: But as the old saying goes: There’s no accounting for taste. Sometimes I find well-reviewed films god-awful, and really enjoy movies that get panned. Like Men in Black…that would go in the same column as Twilight for me, and I don’t mean the good column.

This reminds me of a conversation I once had with a close friend. Her: “I just don’t like sci-fi. It’s all nerdy and lame.” Me: “But not all sci-fi is space or time travel or superheros.” “But it’s all lame.” “Did you like Jurassic Park?” “OMG I love Jurassic Park!” -_-

Your friend actually said “OMG”? But I am a sci-fi fan, so there you have it.

So I guess the fact the Dark Knight is one of the highest grossing films in the history of, well, film doesn’t mean much to you? Or how incredibly much money Marvel has made from its film series? When the nerd minority becomes a majority, what does that make the “cool kids” who are too hip for nerdy movies? :ponder:

Here are some really popular movies you may not know are based on comic books: 300, Blade, The Crow, From Hell, the newest Hercules (with the Rock), A History of Violence, Judge Dredd, Men in Black, Oldboy, V for Vendetta…[/quote]
Sorry, the point I was trying to make wasn’t clear. I meant that while a comic-based movie with a female lead may not do well because it wouldn’t appeal to the 14-year-old-boy demographic, a movie like Lucy can give good box office, because although it has a female hero-type character in lead, it, being non-comic-based, appeals to a wider audience.

As to why the Dark Knight is one of the highest grossing films in history, I must admit that I find it baffling. There are a metric shit-ton of 14-year-olds out there? There’s a whole generation of man-boys who never really grew up, thus multiplying the target audience? Worldwide audiences, where most of the box office growth is coming from, are on the whole less sophisticated? The fact that all those movies you mentioned are based on comic books does explain a lot, though. :smiley: But I did like Oldboy…and Snowpiercer, which I seem to remember was based on a comic as well.[/quote]

You didn’t like The Dark Knight but you enjoyed Old Boy and Snow Piercer??? Hmmmm okay…

[quote=“Leftywang81”]
Careful. Ermintrude might find these extremely sexist…[/quote]
It’s cool, if that happens:

Free speech does not exist in this dojo! Cue maniacal evil laughter :smiling_imp:

[quote=“Rockefeller”][quote=“Leftywang81”]
Careful. Ermintrude might find these extremely sexist…[/quote]
It’s cool, if that happens:

Free speech does not exist in this dojo! Cue maniacal evil laughter :smiling_imp:[/quote]

This is more sexist:

[quote]by Dr. Milker » Tue, 21 Oct 2014 19:40

They’re making me feel so inadequate…time to start binging on Haagen Dazs.[/quote]

But he’s honest about why he said it.

[quote=“Dr. Milker”]
Your friend actually said “OMG”? But I am a sci-fi fan, so there you have it.[/quote]

many SoCal girls who grew up around the 90s (think Clueless) says Oh My God all the time, and some who grew up after the 2000s would actually say OMG.

what about Fathom, it title role goes to a superheroine.

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“Dr. Milker”]
Your friend actually said “OMG”? But I am a sci-fi fan, so there you have it.[/quote]

many SoCal girls who grew up around the 90s (think Clueless) says Oh My God all the time, and some who grew up after the 2000s would actually say OMG.[/quote]
Yes, I’m familiar with the ethnogeography, just didn’t think Hok would associate with OMG types.

[quote=“Dr. Milker”]
Nice racks. I wonder what part of the male anatomy Rockefeller is into? Stop objectifying us! :slight_smile:[/quote]
Not so much objectifying than appreciating. @Icon amirite, hermana? :laughing:

Anybody here watch “Arrow”?

I am just finishing up the second season of that. I started it based on the recommendation of a couple of friends and the reviews it was getting on A.V. Club (I typically don’t start any series unless it is getting very good reviews on that site) and have been very impressed. The first season didn’t impress me in the beginning but got progressively better as it went on. The second season, though, has been one of the most well-crafted seasons of TV I’ve ever watched. And that’s coming from a guy who loves stuff like Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Game of Thrones, etc.

It’s one of the best adaptations of a comic book universe I’ve ever seen, but more than that, the story and character development would appeal to any fan of the action/adventure genre. Fantastic writing and probably the best choreographed action scenes I’ve seen in a television series.

famous scientists such as Neil deGrasse Tyson seems to enjoy comics and scifi, so long as they are willing to be corrected when they get scientific facts wrong.

[quote=“Taiwanguy”]Anybody here watch “Arrow”?

I am just finishing up the second season of that. I started it based on the recommendation of a couple of friends and the reviews it was getting on A.V. Club (I typically don’t start any series unless it is getting very good reviews on that site) and have been very impressed. The first season didn’t impress me in the beginning but got progressively better as it went on. The second season, though, has been one of the most well-crafted seasons of TV I’ve ever watched. And that’s coming from a guy who loves stuff like Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Game of Thrones, etc.

It’s one of the best adaptations of a comic book universe I’ve ever seen, but more than that, the story and character development would appeal to any fan of the action/adventure genre. Fantastic writing and probably the best choreographed action scenes I’ve seen in a television series.[/quote]

so maybe I gave up on it too quick? As someone who watched season 6~10 of Smallville begrudgingly, I was actually relieved that I found the first couple of episodes of Arrow a bit of a let down. I was thinking at least I’m not gonna be stuck with this stuff again…

Hey now, I don’t judge.

by the way:

any reason why Loki’s action figure looks a lot like a certain president?

Now THAT’S creepy. Mr. Ma is definitely slimy enough to play the part, but not smart enough…

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“Taiwanguy”]Anybody here watch “Arrow”?

It’s one of the best adaptations of a comic book universe I’ve ever seen, but more than that, the story and character development would appeal to any fan of the action/adventure genre. Fantastic writing and probably the best choreographed action scenes I’ve seen in a television series.[/quote]

so maybe I gave up on it too quick? As someone who watched season 6~10 of Smallville begrudgingly, I was actually relieved that I found the first couple of episodes of Arrow a bit of a let down. I was thinking at least I’m not gonna be stuck with this stuff again…[/quote]

It’s my subjective opinion, of course, but I’d definitely say that yes, you gave up too quickly. I watched it because A) several people suggested it to me, B) it was getting great reviews on a site I respect, and C) my 12 year-old son was stoked about the idea of watching a superhero tv series. After the first few episodes though, I could have taken it or left it. Meh… But mid-1st season it elevated itself to “Hey, this is pretty fun.” Then the second season became “Holy crap! I’m amazed at how well this show is done.”

I’ll give it a shot at your suggestion, Taiwanguy. Agents of SHIELD lost me on the very first episode, and Walking Dead only held me for a season and a half. I’m a very picky TV watcher.

i’m stuck with Agents of Shield, for now… was not impressed by the whole first season… only watching it because of the Joss Whedon brand name.