Superhero movies from now - 2020

[quote=“Dr. Milker”][quote]Battle Angel Alita is about extreme distribution of wealth, where people living on the service of the Earth is considered subhuman by those living on a space station, after the super elevator to the space station was destroyed. Those living on earth live in chaos would attack one another for human organs, and most have body parts replaced by cybernetics in order to survive. Those who live on the space station live in complete order, and all have their original body parts.
[/quote]
Isn’t that the exact same plot as Elysium? Sounds like somebody got ripped off.[/quote]

Inception is basically a live action version of the 2006 Japanese animated movie, Paprika.

satoshikon.wikia.com/wiki/Paprika

I saw Inception before I saw Paprika and thought it was comic book in nature (I’m thinking DC Vertigo rather than superhero).

I wonder to what extent Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez movies have been influenced by comics. Even at face value, some characters from say Kill Bill are comic book inspired. Robert Rodriguez worked on Sin City which is hardly kids stuff. Yet Hollywood seems to be decades behind the curve. There is a ton of stuff that has yet to be explored, some of it is so far out there in terms of imagination one wonders if the general public will ever be ready for it.

I think the comic books have gone through several cycles of reinvention, the golden age, or even silver and bronze age of comics were always primarily aimed at kids, although characters seemed to become more interesting, a alcoholic womanizing weapons dealer like iron man is a bit more interesting to me than do gooder like superman who has his underpants on outside of his tights. Analogies with current issues becoming more prominent, LGBT and the X-men for example. But, still pretty tame compared the modern age of comics, very graphic and sometimes brilliant art, stories lines that were a lot more thought provoking.

[quote=“Dr. Milker”][quote]Battle Angel Alita is about extreme distribution of wealth, where people living on the service of the Earth is considered subhuman by those living on a space station, after the super elevator to the space station was destroyed. Those living on earth live in chaos would attack one another for human organs, and most have body parts replaced by cybernetics in order to survive. Those who live on the space station live in complete order, and all have their original body parts.
[/quote]
Isn’t that the exact same plot as Elysium? Sounds like somebody got ripped off.[/quote]

Hollywood talked about making Battle Angel Alita into a movie for years. There sure are a lot of elements in Elysium that came directly from Alita, except that the female title character now looks like Matt Damon…

newamericamedia.org/2013/08/tiph … iation.php

Damn, Ultron is a beast!

[quote=“Hokwongwei”][quote=“hansioux”]Let me just describe the premise of a show for Deuce Dropper and jimipresley:

A deeply religious yet divided backwards country was colonized for years. Their colonizers were immensely discriminatory towards them and their religion, and were only there for the country’s rich natural resources. Their colonizer stripped mined the country using oppressed native laborers. Groups of natives had been fighting for their independence, but due to the vast difference in equipment and men power, most of them resorted to terrorism, bombing and assassinating targets of interest without much concern for civilian casualties. In the end, the colonizers had enough of the pestering suicide bombings. They have already robbed the place dry and decided to leave it since it is no longer profitable to be there.

Having just “won” their independence, the provisional government decided they need outside help before they revert back into a civil war, and called for a super power’s assistance.

A career military man is assigned to station at this place as the head of the defense and security cooperation. He was at first reluctant to accept the post, since he lost his wife to a terror attack, and has to raise a young boy as a single father, but in the end he was touched by the spirit and perseverance of the natives, and decides to aid them to become a part of the international community against infighting, religious politicking, terrorism, leaders of the provisional government being former terrorists, surrounding nations wanting to share of piece of the pie after new natural resources were discovered, and many natives seeing him and his troops as just another occupying force to kick out.

Would the show I just described be worth watching?[/quote]

I don’t see how this relates to superheros, but I’d be interested in watching it. Is this Black Panther? Or Nelson Mandela? Or… Lee Teng-hui??? Or bits of all of them?[/quote]

Star Trek was always ahead of its time. That cutting age is what has made it not only last but shine in different forms over 50 years.

Did you know BTW that tractor beams are now a reality? One more to the list.

that trailer screams Joss Whedon.

[quote=“Matchstick_man”][quote=“Dr. Milker”][quote]Battle Angel Alita is about extreme distribution of wealth, where people living on the service of the Earth is considered subhuman by those living on a space station, after the super elevator to the space station was destroyed. Those living on earth live in chaos would attack one another for human organs, and most have body parts replaced by cybernetics in order to survive. Those who live on the space station live in complete order, and all have their original body parts.
[/quote]

Inception is basically a live action version of the 2006 Japanese animated movie, Paprika.

satoshikon.wikia.com/wiki/Paprika

I saw Inception before I saw Paprika and thought it was comic book in nature (I’m thinking DC Vertigo rather than superhero).[/quote]

Lion King is a copy of Kimba the White Lion

kimbawlion.com/kimbawlion/rant2.htm

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“Dr. Milker”][quote]Battle Angel Alita is about extreme distribution of wealth, where people living on the service of the Earth is considered subhuman by those living on a space station, after the super elevator to the space station was destroyed. Those living on earth live in chaos would attack one another for human organs, and most have body parts replaced by cybernetics in order to survive. Those who live on the space station live in complete order, and all have their original body parts.
[/quote]

Hollywood talked about making Battle Angel Alita into a movie for years. There sure are a lot of elements in Elysium that came directly from Alita, except that the female title character now looks like Matt Damon…

newamericamedia.org/2013/08/tiph … iation.php[/quote]
Battle Angel Alita actually looks a lot more interesting that Elysium. I’d rather watch a sexy cyborg than Matt Damon (nothing against Matt). I was pretty disappointed with Elysium after watching District 9, which was excellent.

Wow, that’s really a blast from the past. I was watching that in the 70s…

leepacey.tumblr.com/post/1007089 … -is-ultron

that man has a point…

That’s what made the two reboot films such a massive disappointment. They abandoned the very idea of science fiction (pushing the envelope of “what if”) for bland action sequences, shaky cameras, and lens flares. Oh, the lens flares! And what’s worse is the two movies about star-trekking showed us very little of the stars and even less of treks. Now the cast is all starting to get old but they’ve only just “started” the new series. It’s the same failure marring the Daniel Craig Bond films – bold new start, and then sputter out.

That’s what made the two reboot films such a massive disappointment. They abandoned the very idea of science fiction (pushing the envelope of “what if”) for bland action sequences, shaky cameras, and lens flares. Oh, the lens flares! And what’s worse is the two movies about star-trekking showed us very little of the stars and even less of treks. Now the cast is all starting to get old but they’ve only just “started” the new series. It’s the same failure marring the Daniel Craig Bond films – bold new start, and then sputter out.[/quote]

Because -and we go back to the beginning- the new frontier is, alas, television, cable, DL VOD. A new concept in marketing to fund out of the box -literally and figuratively- programming.

Hollywood formula is exhausted. But at least keeps the spark alive. Yet, we need to go further and create a new way for amazing, risky stories to reach out.

That’s what made the two reboot films such a massive disappointment. They abandoned the very idea of science fiction (pushing the envelope of “what if”) for bland action sequences, shaky cameras, and lens flares. Oh, the lens flares! And what’s worse is the two movies about star-trekking showed us very little of the stars and even less of treks. Now the cast is all starting to get old but they’ve only just “started” the new series. It’s the same failure marring the Daniel Craig Bond films – bold new start, and then sputter out.[/quote]

Never was a fan of the Star Trek shows.
But I did enjoy the reboot films…

I’ve actually never much cared for Star Trek. Something about the episodic nature of each show just bored me; I prefer “run-through” series like Game of Thrones. That said, the new Star Trek films were certainly alright, but they just seemed like generic space action stuff rather than actually keeping any of the Star Trek identity. To me, it doesn’t make that much of a difference, but it does leave me worried about what JJ Abrams will do to my beloved Star Wars…

Maybe going in a different direction from the original star trek identity was the whole idea. They came out with a few movies using the same cast, but I had no desire to watch those. They just seemed like longer versions of the tv series. Granted there seems to be a very loyal Star Trek fan base, but like you said, the general public just wasn’t interested in the “episodic nature”. I am perfectly fine with “generic space action stuff” as long as its entertaining and keeps me awake. Lets just hope the new Star Wars will be better than Ep1-3…

Got some cartoons related to that.

Scarier

And as to the old cast, seems The Shatner will be back next installment… at least, there are talks…

[quote=“Leftywang81”]
Never was a fan of the Star Trek shows.
But I did enjoy the reboot films…[/quote]

and that’s why most Star Trek films are the way they are and not that similar to Trek on TV. With a few exceptions, I really had a tough time liking most Trek films… but movies needs a wider audience, and Hollywood executives believe the bigger audience want blockbuster, effect heavy movies, instead of 1 full hour of Picard trying to figure out what “Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra” means…

Maybe the executives are right, but these big screen transition movies rarely hits all the spots for the fans…

There are pros and cons to both. I started out a Babylon 5 fan (that’s my first Scifi addiction) mostly for its run-through nature. However, I found rewatchability of these run-through series a lot lower than episodic series with mini-arch sprinkles. It’s what I feel about B5 now, and how I feel about Battlestar Galactica.

That being said, Deep Space 9 is one of those trek series with a lot of mini-arches. You just have to navigate away from the early crappy episodes to be able to get into it.

What we’re seeing is a more sophisticated audience, and this goes for both traditional sci-fi like Star Trek and comic book movies. We no longer want to see films like the Christopher Reeves Superman, where it’s a good guy who’s totally good and a bad guy who’s totally bad duking it out over the fate of the planet (guess who wins!). Audiences have shown they now respond to somewhat more nuanced, dark films and TV shows that take themselves seriously rather than resorting to camp. I’m not saying that Captain America 3 will rival Moby Dick in its literary significance, but as a young person I do find it difficult to watch a lot of “classics” in any genre because so often they’re just too surface.