Superhero movies from now - 2020

geeky shenanigans

Update: Marvel announces Phase 3 slate (via WSJ):

INFOGRAM HERE

May 6, 2016: ”Captain America: Civil War.” Robert Downey Jr will appear as Iron Man in this adaptation of a comics story about a controversial super-hero registration program that pits Captain America against Iron Man. Black Panther will also make his first appearance in this movie.

Nov. 4, 2016: ”Doctor Strange.” Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige said this film about the supernatural will “open up an entire new corner of the cinematic universe.” He did not confirm a report in the Hollywood trade Deadline that Benedict Cumberbatch will play the mystical Doctor Strange.

May 5, 2017: ”Guardians of the Galaxy 2.” Marvel moved up the date to the sequel to this summer’s hit. It was originally scheduled to come out in July, 2017.

July 28, 2017: ”Thor: Ragnarok.”

Nov. 3, 2017: ”Black Panther.” Chadwick Boseman (Jackie Robinson in “42″) will star in the first Marvel movie to feature an African-American in the title role.

May 4, 2018: “Avengers: Infinity War part 1.” The third Avengers team-up film will be split into two parts.

July 6, 2018: Captain Marvel. The cosmic super-hero will be Marvel’s first female to get her own film.

Nov 2, 2018: ”Inhumans”. Another picture set in outer space that will introduce “dozens of new characters” said Kevin Feige, and could start its own franchise with its own spin-offs.

May 2019: ”Avengers: Infinity War Part 2.”

Dr. Strange? Black Panther? Captain Marvel???
Ehhhh not too excited about these…
But Marvel is smart by tying all of these films into 1 big storyline.

[quote=“Leftywang81”]Dr. Strange? Black Panther? Captain Marvel???
[/quote]
Any particular reasons why

[quote=“Rockefeller”][quote=“Leftywang81”]Dr. Strange? Black Panther? Captain Marvel???
[/quote]
Any particular reasons why[/quote]

Never liked the comics/characters.

Haha or maybe since I’m this evil racist and sexist, I guess its because the black panther is african american and captain marvel is a woman.

[quote=“Leftywang81”][quote=“Rockefeller”][quote=“Leftywang81”]Dr. Strange? Black Panther? Captain Marvel???
[/quote]

Never liked the comics/characters.[/quote]
Not really a comic book reader, wouldn’t know. But the building blocks they’ve already set with the cinematic universe and Marvel’s track record provides plenty reasons for cautious optimism.

If nothing else, Marvel has proved to have an extremely savvy marketing team, so irregardless of artistic merit, I think it’s safe to say that they’re gonna keep raking in the cash. As long as they do their part to keep movie theaters open, I’m all for it. It’s just not the same watching at home, no matter how big your flat screen is.

[quote=“Leftywang81”][quote=“Rockefeller”][quote=“Leftywang81”]Dr. Strange? Black Panther? Captain Marvel???
[/quote]

Never liked the comics/characters.[/quote]
Not really a comic book reader, wouldn’t know. But the building blocks they’ve already set with the cinematic universe and Marvel’s track record provides plenty reasons for cautious optimism.[/quote]

Yea I’m not sure how well these films will do considering the casual movie fan will not know who they are. Only avid comic book readers will know anything about Dr. Strange Black Panther or Captain Marvel. I think theyre just pushing their success theyve had so far to the limits with these. But who knows? They might do well. I have to admit, I wasn’t familiar with the Guardians of the Galaxy either and I thought it was pretty good.

But yea like I said. If they make all of these films tie into each other into 1 big storyline, it will force us to watch all of them like a mini series. Even if I have no desire to watch Dr. Strange, I’ll still have to watch it to keep up with the story.

deadline.com/2014/10/oscars-capt … es-861019/

There are many talks about Captain American: Winter Soldier should get Oscar recognition at least by getting a Best Picture nominations or other none-technical nominations.

However, the directors of Cap Winter Soldier are worried about the film getting side-lined just because it is a super-hero movie.

It was good for a comic book movie… but it wasn’t best picture material. Honestly it was only so-so. The reason so many people liked it is because it defied our expectations of mediocrity.

[quote=“hansioux”]http://deadline.com/2014/10/oscars-captain-america-best-picture-comic-book-movies-861019/

There are many talks about Captain American: Winter Soldier should get Oscar recognition at least by getting a Best Picture nominations or other none-technical nominations.

However, the directors of Cap Winter Soldier are worried about the film getting side-lined just because it is a super-hero movie.[/quote]

It would be a crime if the Winter Soldier won Best Picture when the Dark Knight didn’t because of the same exact reason.
IMO, I’d have to say the Dark Knight was probably the best “super hero” movie ever. But thats just my opinion…

Agreed. I didn’t think it was great or anything, but I will say it gets a bump just because of how much better it was than the First Avenger…

With so many cartoon movies in the works, when are they going to get around to doing a Howard the Duck reboot? The 80s Howard the Duck movie was a total flop, but maybe they could do it right this time?

I take it you didn’t see Guardians of the Galaxy, then? :smiley:

PS, rumor mill has it that Dr Strange will be played by Benedict Cumberbatch.

Agreed. I didn’t think it was great or anything, but I will say it gets a bump just because of how much better it was than the First Avenger…[/quote]

I didn’t think Chicago was BP material either, but voila~ (still can’t believe the Pianist didn’t win…)

PS, rumor mill has it that Dr Strange will be played by Benedict Cumberbatch.[/quote]
No, didn’t see it. Couldn’t justify sitting through the whole thing for a brief cameo…

PS, rumor mill has it that Dr Strange will be played by Benedict Cumberbatch.[/quote]
No, didn’t see it. Couldn’t justify sitting through the whole thing for a brief cameo…[/quote]

You didn’t miss anything…
It would be a huge mistake for Marvel to include Howard the Duck in anymore cameos

I didn’t have time to reply the other day so apologies for being a little late.

Very similar points quoted below:

I understand this but the writers of superhero stories are almost all white men, aren’t they? And aren’t most of the superheroes themselves white? I did a little googling this afternoon chasing superhero audience demographics (in the West) but didn’t find many hard numbers. But I found debates on race (Superhero Super-Fans Talk Race And Identity In Comics) and gender (Female Characters in Superhero Films: The Grim Reality) which only reinforced my assumptions about the writers. I just feel this is very old hat for me, having white males appropriate female and ethnic characters - it doesn’t change the fact that it is a white male imaginative landscape. I prefer to be challenged by movies, not entertained (I’ve got nothing against people who do want to be entertained). If I watch something like Totoro at least I feel like I’m entering a new cultural space and learning something. But when I see movie posters like this:

It just looks so depressingly formulaic. Handsome American white man good guy, evil looking bad guy, token black guy, token woman. I wouldn’t ever consider watching such a movie. I have seen Tetsuo, the Iron Man.

:laughing: Which was very, er, educational, and very much more my taste in film.

I don’t see why you can’t be challenged and entertained at the same time. Just look at Jurassic Park as a classic example.