Taiwan Politics Forum feedback

Quite frankly I am annoyed with certain moderators deleting my responses for no reason. My response was not off topic and was directly answering Screaming Jesus’ inquiry.

I looked at your post and don’t think it was off-topic either. I think you should refer your complaint to Maoman. I agree that the moderation on this forum tends to be a bit biased.

I looked at your post and don’t think it was off-topic either. I think you should refer your complaint to Maoman. I agree that the moderation on this forum tends to be a bit biased.[/quote]

:offtopic:

Excellent, I see that most of the posts written by Zeugmite, cmdjing and the :slight_smile: suspended :slight_smile: AC_Dropout are still in the forum, with only a few off topic rants in the flounder forum.

Therefore, I would suggest that you back up your statements with a bit of hard evidence. You will look better for it.

Also, if you can’t prove that the 3 posters mentioned have been subject ot unfair moderating, then shut up. Please.

cmdjing, I will teach you how to stay on topic. You should have phrased your response as follows:

Dearest of all Screaming Jesuses, I suggest the following slogan for the back of your Taidu sign when you hold it on 326:

Your post was off topic. I already posted a warning in that thread. That thread is for suggestions for poster slogans.

Screaming Jesus suggested using a Chairman Mao quote, and asked if anyone had it. You didn’t provide the quote, you just argued that the quote was out of context. If you’d like to discuss that quote, starta thread about it, or dig up the old thread where it is discusses.

The original thread has a very specific focus, and discussion of other topics will be moved.

As for accusations of bias. If you have somethign to say, PM or post it here - not in unrelated threads in the Taiwan Politics forum. Feedback is always welcome.

Brian

Not that I’m shedding any tears, but would a mod like to share with us the reason why our beloved AC_dropout was suspended?

[quote=“Mr He”]Therefore, I would suggest that you back up your statements with a bit of hard evidence. You will look better for it.

Also, if you can’t prove that the 3 posters mentioned have been subject ot unfair moderating, then shut up. Please.[/quote]

I didn’t mention those three posters. I was referring to one post by cmdjing that I didnt think deserved floundering. The main moderator of the Taiwan Politics forum has made his political position very clear, and in such a sensitive topic with many heated opinions, it is better to have someone who 1) is neutral, or 2) keeps their positions out of it. There’s nothing wrong with moderators having their own opinions in most forums, but something so controversial as Taiwan politics is an exception, IMO, and those posters who do not support the majority “Green” view of most of the people who frequent these forums tend to feel alienated and discriminated against.

I have one Taiwanese professor who I asked if he was going to the 326 march. He is very “Taiwanese,” and I’m sure he’s a supporter of the Greens. However, his response was “It’s meant for someone people and not for others.” That’s the kind of neutral attitude a person in a position of authority regarding such sensitive topics should hold.

It’s obvious that you dont like me, Mr. He, considering whenever you respond to any post of mine it’s filled with rude phrases like “shut up” or whatever. To put your mind at ease, I don’t like you in the least either. Hope you’re satisfied. :raspberry:

Repeated violations of the rules despite frequent warnings.

Brian

I explained why that was floundered.

I guess I’m not nuetral, but I try to be impartial in moderating. Last weekend I warned four posters for repeated violation of the rules. Three of the four could probably be labelled hard-core TI supporters. Only one of the four was a pan-blue supporter.

Brian

[quote=“LittleBuddhaTW”][quote=“Mr He”]Therefore, I would suggest that you back up your statements with a bit of hard evidence. You will look better for it.

Also, if you can’t prove that the 3 posters mentioned have been subject ot unfair moderating, then shut up. Please.[/quote]

I didn’t mention those three posters. I was referring to one post by cmdjing that I didn’t think deserved floundering. The main moderator of the Taiwan Politics forum has made his political position very clear, and in such a sensitive topic with many heated opinions, it is better to have someone who 1) is neutral, or 2) keeps their positions out of it. There’s nothing wrong with moderators having their own opinions in most forums, but something so controversial as Taiwan politics is an exception, IMO, and those posters who do not support the majority “Green” view of most of the people who frequent these forums tend to feel alienated and discriminated against.

I have one Taiwanese professor who I asked if he was going to the 326 march. He is very “Taiwanese,” and I’m sure he’s a supporter of the Greens. However, his response was “It’s meant for someone people and not for others.” That’s the kind of neutral attitude a person in a position of authority regarding such sensitive topics should hold.

It’s obvious that you dont like me, Mr. He, considering whenever you respond to any post of mine it’s filled with rude phrases like “shut up” or whatever. To put your mind at ease, I don’t like you in the least either. Hope you’re satisfied. :raspberry:[/quote]

I hear refrains of the IP thread coming forth. Just an observation, nothing more.

Why does Zeugmite get away with calling all Falun Gong people insane? Does this mean I can get away calling Maoists or other people all sorts of things too? We should not let the forum degenerate this way.

Please see the Rules:

Sheesh! I’ve never said its a personal attack!

I said its degenerating and he should not get away with it. Just as I’ve never said “All Chinese people are _______” he should not say “All ______ are insane”.

If he wanted to contribute to the continuation of Forumosa he wouldn’t take advantage and openly attack large groups of people and start labelling them in an attempt to limit the audience.

OK. So, what is it about his opinion that makes you think he should not be permitted to state the same?

Degenerating?

Saying all Chinese people (or all any ethnic or racial group of people would be racist… and if hateful too would be a violation of our Rules. Stating simply that you think all Republicans are _______ is not racist. Why should someone be prohibitted from stating an opinion regarding an entire group of people not based on race or ethnicity, etc…? If such person wants to make sweeping generalizations, you are free to rebut the same.

So, it wasn’t a personal attack, but it was an attack.

How do you know that his posting behavior will not contribute to the continuation of Forumosa?

How do you know that his intention was to limit the audience?

Because it’s true. Read the FLG threads. Seriously.

Because it’s true. Read the FLG threads. Seriously.[/quote]
And because the moderators of this site are generally in favour of free speech rather than censorship. A preference for allowing arguments to be challenged rather than deleting them or muzzling the poster is why this site is often a place of lively, stimulating debate rather than, well, a site like the one you moderate.

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]Perhaps you could provide a link to somewhere that you have provided a clear argument about why you think Taiwan is and always was part of China?

Brian[/quote]

Off topic.

OOC

[quote=“OutofChaos”][quote=“Bu Lai En”]Perhaps you could provide a link to somewhere that you have provided a clear argument about why you think Taiwan is and always was part of China?

Brian[/quote]

Off topic.

OOC[/quote]
Backseat moderation.

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]Actually I strongly disagree that the people on this forum are pro-independence.

It seems that apart from a few extremists, the majority supports the right of the people of Taiwan to decide their future. That this usually gets characterised by pan-blue supporters as support for TI is a shame.

As to whether the majority are pan-blue or pan-green, yes, the views of the majoriy of posters here are closer to the green position on the cross-striat relationship, but I don’t htink that this necessarily translates to actual support for Chen or the DPP, who also come in for a lot of criticism.
Brian[/quote]

Thanks for this post. I think a lot of posters on this forum just can’t be bothered to get involved in endless, meaningless discussions. Because it is pointless. Try to argue with somebody, who is stubborn, has more time and writes better English and faster than yourself. Pointless. Double-pointless.

Actually I was hoping you copuld provide a link, so that discussion would not go off topic.

Brian