The Taiwan Weather Thread 2017

I’m out near the Botanical Garden in Taipei, and it’s been major dumpage all afternoon. It was coming down in a solid wall earlier, and beginning to taper off a bit now. I was going to head out, but I beat a hasty retreat after I opened the front door to find a waterfall in front of me.

I immediately regret not bringing my helmet from my scooter during my lunch break. That thing is going to have a puddle by the time I get to it in a few hours.

100% rain predicted for Taipei and New Taipei…tonight and tomorrow daytime. Prepare accordingly.

Where are my rainboots?!

I can confirm Yilan had a slightly wet day.

Rubber boots for the next few days in Taipei. Taipei weather sucks.

On the plus side, all the pollution gets cleaned out.

Wunderground thinks the wall of water we’re receiving here in Taipei will let up this evening. So perhaps rubber boots only for today!

Guy

As per local weather forecast, intermittent rain all week long, another flood coming on the weekend.

Yep, got my matching raincoat and rainboots. I look cute!

Scootering in this weather is just…not fun.

Despite having a pretty awesome scooter raincoat, still felt soaked to the brim when I took it off. The shower I took after I got home felt utterly useless since I had just taken one on the scooter.

I know how you feel. It was raining so thick on my ride to work that the rain got through my Goretex. It may just have been through the vents, but still.

Love the weather, this morning want to sleep more but need to be at the office.

Oh, yeah, thsi weather is so right, I’d love to be in bed, especially after the kittens kept me up till late. Was planning for a nice nap at noon but had to meet a pal who smuggled some really nice coffee from te ol country for me. So I am now sniffing it to keep awak…:sleeping:

Wish we are office mate so that I could also sniff that coffee of yours :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My god it’s a beautiful day out there right now.

1 Like

Bit warm in the ol cubicle: 28 degrees indoors…which is really funny as my computer says it is 25 degrees outdoors. :rant:

Don’t want any of those delicate OLs catching a chill. :slight_smile:

It’s 26 degrees at my office, and half of the OLs are wearing sweaters, I kid you not.

The southerly position of this year’s meiyu is quite unusual. Good for us in Taidong coz it means plentiful rains and cool temperatures, but it could be shaping up as trouble for the west coast.

Given the population density there, the meiyu is essential for topping up the reservoirs, but so far they are way down on the May average. Kaohsiung, which has an ave of 200 mil for May, has only had 15mm and nothing obvious in sight for the next week at least

That could change quickly with a couple of big downpours, but if the current trend turns into a season-long pattern then water restrictions will be on the cards

This is the wettest meiyu i’ve seen in Taidong and we’re only half-way through. It’s nice actually - it’s like a chunk of stifling summer has been cut off your sentence for good behaviour

Yesterday the weather looked kinda typhoony - clear, sunny one minute, pouring the next - but there’s nothing obvious on the satellite

Meanwhile, the reservoirs and farmers on the north and west coasts are getting almost nothing. It’s either gonna be a late meiyu there or a very weak one.

I spent 4 beautiful days in taitung and Dulan recently and saw the rainy weather coming so I bailed back to Taipei where there is also rain. Not a lot to do and do in Dulan in the rain. Taitung at least has a movie and a small shopping mall now

Actually I feel this meiyu in Taipei has had little rain. Overall, it feels quite dry. I am worried. Don’t want a drought here like the one in Central America.