Toilet Paper: Toilet or Can?

I throw it in the bin or in the bowl, whatever is required. No big deal.

King’s side up or down?[/quote]

I’m not telling :raspberry:

[quote=“bababa”]
One place I stayed at (in Taipei) still had an open sewer running from the bathroom, through the back yard, and down a hole in the street.[/quote]

I wonder would this be considered carbon neutral construction as no plastic piping was used or is being harmed in the process?

King’s side up or down?[/quote]

I’m not telling :raspberry:[/quote]
I read some US website had a troll Thailand photoshop session after finding out that some dude got locked up for defacing a picture of the King. Basically they all photoshopped him in compromising poses. Several of the posters were approached by the Thai embassy and told their names had been added to and immigration blacklist would not be let into Thailand ever.

So essentially some internet trolls got IRL banned from Thailand.

Tee hee!. Sort of like: "Hey you foreign heretics! We no liking your make fun of our king! The following will not be allowed to come to Thailand to shag our teenagers and eat magic mushroom omlettes. Ever:
King Zog
sandman
Toe Save
The chief
Irishstu
etc…

Chris wrote:

[quote]tommy525 wrote:
An official said
only 18 percent of the nation’s toilets
feed into sewage treatment systems; for the rest the paper would flow into rivers and waterways

Eeeewwwwww…[/quote]

Goodness gracious, this is worse than anything I expected, I mean, 18 percent! C’me on!

Then, may I dare to ask, where does it go NOW?!

EDIT: “it” being the remains of the day, the number 1 and 2, not the paper

Just imagine the water you drink everyday, the pipelines crossing and crisscrossing you know what …

:snivel: :sick: :ohreally:

p.s. Where is the getting sick emoticon?

Yeah, I can just see them adding nyms like “CyberDude”, “jesus_fr33k” and “dynamike” to their database…

[quote=“bababa”][quote=“tommy525”]
However, modern toilets and plumbing in Taiwan are able to handle discarded toilet paper, the department said, urging people to cultivate the habit of disposing of toilet paper in this way, not only to reduce costs but also to prevent the spread of harmful bacteria.[/quote]
What fantasyland are these officials living in if they think most Taiwanese toilets and plumbing systems are modern? One place I stayed at (in Taipei) still had an open sewer running from the bathroom, through the back yard, and down a hole in the street.[/quote]

Oh come on, all almost all buildings have western style sit down toilets now and modern plumbing. Whatever dive you stayed at is a gross anomoly. I have travelled almost every inch of this island and never encountered what you did except in small villages. So yes, most toilets and plumbing are modern. Even squat toilets are becoming hard to find.

[quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“bababa”][quote=“tommy525”]
However, modern toilets and plumbing in Taiwan are able to handle discarded toilet paper, the department said, urging people to cultivate the habit of disposing of toilet paper in this way, not only to reduce costs but also to prevent the spread of harmful bacteria.[/quote]
What fantasyland are these officials living in if they think most Taiwanese toilets and plumbing systems are modern? One place I stayed at (in Taipei) still had an open sewer running from the bathroom, through the back yard, and down a hole in the street.[/quote]

Oh come on, all almost all buildings have western style sit down toilets now and modern plumbing. Whatever dive you stayed at is a gross anomoly. I have travelled almost every inch of this island and never encountered what you did except in small villages. So yes, most toilets and plumbing are modern. Even squat toilets are becoming hard to find.[/quote]

We have open sewage running between two buildings where I live. One is about ten years old, and the other was built recently. I think bababa is probably just not aware of how these sewage systems work. It is sewage, but only from the sinks, washing machine, floor drains and air conditioners drains. The toilets are evacuated separately into the main sewage vessel. These open sewage systems are everywhere in Kaohsiung. It certainly gives some areas a third world allure. And even if toilets are not directed to these open trenches, they still stink, and they are breeding grounds for mosquitoes and whatever else.

This said, these trenches also play an important part in flood management during rainy season. So maybe they are there for a reason. But then again, I would imagine that it would not be that hard to design a more aesthetic sewage/flood management system. But it would cost more money. So maybe it is a third worldish thing after all. :idunno:

marboulette

What is the official reason for not putting bogroll down the loo?

Which part of the system can’t deal with it - pipes within the building, sewers, the sewage works or the end point - sea or muck spreading?

Do you put it down the loo? In my own home, I can’t bring myself to have a bucket full of shitty paper that I might be too slack to empty frequently enough (there’s only one day a week when we’re around at the right time). Even outside home, it sticks in the throat (?) to put the first sheet in the bin if it’s one of the more messy ones.

Edit: OK. Question answered a long time ago. I did search for shitrag and arsewipe but nothing came up!

Tommy, that is fucking rank. Fuck the fuck off. Someone burn my eyes please.[/quote]

Hilarious!

I think it would be a shame if Taiwan lost its inability to organise waste disposal. The frantic rush for the bin lorry at inappropriate times of day and the wastepaper bin stinking to high heaven beside the bog are such features of Taiwan’s new modern democracy that they should be featured on a commemorative NT$99 banknote.

for the record I have never not flushed my shit tickets down the toilet. That trash bin is foul.

I also have ass hoses in my bathrooms (Thaistyle). Those who don’t are missing out.

I would like to address this topic again. Recently I saw a sign in an apartment building saying that certain apartments in the building had toilets that were clogging the pipes. How do they know which ones? Another thing, the sign said that in addition to not throwing used toilet paper down the toilet they should not thrown food scraps. But human excrement is partly made up of food scraps. So why the big fuss about throwing food scraps down the toilet? I guess if you threw a whole bucket down it would clog the system. Or if you threw a whole roll of toilet paper down at one time then it would clog. Just do not get the logic.

[quote=“TNT”]
Hey but there seems to be an obsession here for using tissue for any reason. Maybe they should clamp down on that too[/quote]

Yep, this seems to be the far bigger waste, eating with the in-laws at least one bin is filled with tissue during dinner, especially if shrimp is served, then it may strech to two (only 7 people or so).

Same in restaurants. In fact, the mrs will wipe up a water ring with tissue, then refuse to use that for anything else since it’s “dirty”.

[quote=“marboulette”][quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“bababa”][quote=“tommy525”]

Oh come on, all almost all buildings have western style sit down toilets now and modern plumbing. Whatever dive you stayed at is a gross anomoly. I have travelled almost every inch of this island and never encountered what you did except in small villages. So yes, most toilets and plumbing are modern. Even squat toilets are becoming hard to find.[/quote]

We have open sewage running between two buildings where I live. One is about ten years old, and the other was built recently. I think bababa is probably just not aware of how these sewage systems work. It is sewage, but only from the sinks, washing machine, floor drains and air conditioners drains. The toilets are evacuated separately into the main sewage vessel. These open sewage systems are everywhere in Kaohsiung. It certainly gives some areas a third world allure. And even if toilets are not directed to these open trenches, they still stink, and they are breeding grounds for mosquitoes and whatever else.

This said, these trenches also play an important part in flood management during rainy season. So maybe they are there for a reason. But then again, I would imagine that it would not be that hard to design a more aesthetic sewage/flood management system. But it would cost more money. So maybe it is a third worldish thing after all. :idunno:

marboulette[/quote]

It’s a complete mystery to me why they don’t seal over the open sewers and put grass or bikeways over them, anybody know the reason why not?

Found this article on Yahoo.tw earlier. I am unable to translate it (maybe one of you can), but basically states that it is safe to flush the paper.

It also states that you can determine how civilized a country is by how they dispose of toilet paper?? Maybe this is what’s been holding Taiwan back, not China or Chen, but the lack of properly disposed tp

tw.news.yahoo.com/article/url/d/ … /xo0y.html

I HAve always flushed the paper…always. and never had an issue. I THink most taiwanese ladies think that not flushing the sanitary pad means also not flushing the paper.

sorry but i make my GF flush the doggone paper !!! (She doesnt listen actually, but then I still bark now and then. Taiwanese girls in general are not very good listeners …ie obedient :slight_smile: )

this is great news

I flush ALWAYS and EVERYWHERE. I do not give a flying duck about the dated sewage system and pipes and whatever. I plan to secretly clog-up the sewage pipes all over Taiwan to force the government to use some of my tax money, paid over the last 7 years or so, to upgrade the sewage system. Am I alone in this noble quest? :help:

I was always the same when I was in Taiwan, I flushed it all of the time. One of my pet peeves in Taiwan was the tp thing…the bathrooms all smell like outhouses because of it. Used to make me gag.