Typhoons 2017

So you’re flight to Okinawa will be fine, though there’s still a reasonable chance of the storm rendezvousing with you in Okinawa on Sunday

Depending on what size it builds to, that’s not necessarily anything to be worried about. Good news is that it will be moving pretty quickly so the peak impact time will be shorter

Hualien is also looking ok at this stage as it’s meant to stay offshore and slide up to the north

In fact, it’s shaping up as a surfer’s dream scenario if it sticks to the CWB forecast and picks up a bit of strength - that’s exactly the track they are waiting for - far enough offshore that they won’t close the beaches but sending in large clean sets as it rolls past

Obviously, still need to watch it in case of any major changes in the steering influences

Below is it’s forecast position for Saturday

http://www.cwb.gov.tw/V7e/forecast/fcst/Data/2017-0724-12000_A016.jpg

1 Like

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFh93xvVYAEXXUD?format=jpg

Hello Noru

The situation is so complex that according to GFS a typhoon will hit Taiwan on Saturday/Sunday, while for ECMWF we will not have anything around us at all.

So which typhoon do they think will hit Taiwan?

It’s interesting that Noru is still gaining strength - rare to see a typhoon form that far north and then continue to build

Invest 99W, the one that is forming up, is what GFS expects to pay us a visit over the weekend, while for ECMWF Noru will end up swallowing everything and hang around near Japan for a while.

Yeah, there are a helluva lot of moving parts involved!

Noru, as seen from Nasa’s satellite.

Damn… why is it always on a weekend…

It’s still very much a long shot that either of the two systems will impact Taiwan this weekend - there would have to be a dramatic change in the official CWB forecast for that to happen

There are a lot of moving parts in terms of steering influences so the predicted tracks will likely alter and both systems need to be watched, but I’ll be surprised if we get hit by a typhoon this weekend

The one to the north west, Noru, is an outside chance of ‘doing a Nari’ - making landfall in Taiwan by coming down from the north - but hard to see it happening this weekend

Is the rain they are forecasting for the east coast this weekend based on the impact from these…or?

Depends on which forecast you decide to place your faith xD

At the moment it really feels like tossing a coin and calling rock, paper, whisky.

I want to know this too. Teammates are heading down to Taidong for a challenge race.

This may be race number 3 (or 4?) that has been cancelled due to inclement weather this yea.r

Time to get cyclocross going in Taiwan. Cyclocross is better the wetter it is.

Insert mandatory:“THAT’S WHAT SHE SAID” joke here.

As for the rain, I think everyone is pretty clueless right now.

The forecast is for light rain…doubt they completely cancel. There might be a minor riot.

My guess is nothing comes of it, but I was a little confused because none of these current systems seem to be any where close to affecting Taiwan, at least for the weekend. Was figuring there might be another low pressure system at the root of it or something, but seems no one knows why the steady/light rain predictions are in play.

This is the last line of JTWC’s forecast for Typhoon Noru:

DUE TO THE COMPLEX STEERING ENVIRONMENT AND BINARY
INTERACTION WITH TS 09W, THERE IS LOW CONFIDENCE IN THE JTWC
FORECAST.//

They have low confidence in their own forecast, feelsbadman.

Well, at least they are honest … got to give that to them in this spaghetti of predictions …

Looks like it’s muscling up suddenly

http://www.cwb.gov.tw/V7/observe/satellite/Data/sup/sup-2017-07-25-20-40.jpg

Imgur

Still no idea where it will go xD

Edit: the second link is for a forecast of possible trajectories, the preview is not showing up.

Yep. One says yes, one says no, the other says maybe! :rofl:

Clear as chocolate.