USA and gun control

I’m all for this. Arm all Americans at birth and hopefully sooner or later there’ll be one almighty Mexican stand-off that will solve the problem once and for all.

2 Likes

security teams on campus/arming teachers solved israel’s security issue.

liberals will lie/whine and bury heads in sand, though. 2nd amendment stands.

edit: props to the fbi for allowing the go-ahead for another massacre, though, cough fbi supplying live explosives for the '93 wtc bombing cough - fbi informant, nytimes

In the case of Israel, the shooters are not sickos, I guess.

I think kids at school should be given guns to protect themselves from a possible armed sicko teacher.

How dare you! If I didn’t hear of it on CNN, Newsweak, Faux News, or Bluffington Post it must not be true.

Could you explain that one for us?

Anyone who shoots up a school is a sicko, no matter the rationale they use to justify it.

2 Likes

I guess that depends on how you define “sicko.” Oops, looks like Mick beat me to it.

1 Like

I don’t disagree. I meant types of shooters in Israel and USA may be different, so the same measure wouldn’t work in the same way. In Israel, they may have other reasons to shoot, but in USA, just shooting kids may often be their aim.

I agree, that with the case of Israel the motivations of the shooter are better understood. Even in London where I grew up, there were exclusive Jewish schools and one thing you would notice that made them noticeably different from other schools, is they had a very visible security team with walkie talkies. No need for guns, as guns are exceedingly rare in the UK. But I imagine in NY for example there are exclusive Jewish schools, I would be very surprised if they don’t already have an armed security presence and I would further wager have had so for decades.

Teachers that gave their lives to save students should be awarded tax exemption for life for their immediate families.

I was just looking a bit–I don’t think so. New York has strict gun laws. I can’t really remember seeing an armed security guard (outside of the police of course) anywhere. It may not be a thing there. The city has a program where it posts unarmed security officers in schools including religious schools (one thing Jews, Catholics and Muslims were all able to agree on apparently). Police officers are not regularly posted in schools but it’s being discussed now.

I want to be a teacher in the US now.
I think with an AK47 under my arm, I can teach calculus to even the dumbest students in class.
They will all have a score of 100.
I mean the students still alive at the end of the semester.

1 Like

One of the strictest in fact.

The state of Texas has about 170 school districts (17% of the state) that allow teachers to carry firearms on school premises.

The bullet from an AR-15 passes through the body like a cigarette boat travelling at maximum speed through a tiny canal. The tissue next to the bullet is elastic—moving away from the bullet like waves of water displaced by the boat—and then returns and settles back. This process is called cavitation; it leaves the displaced tissue damaged or killed. The high-velocity bullet causes a swath of tissue damage that extends several inches from its path. It does not have to actually hit an artery to damage it and cause catastrophic bleeding. Exit wounds can be the size of an orange.

1 Like

Military grade weapons designed for mass killing.
Give them to 8 million people and you can buy them for 800 bucks a pop and call them hunting or tactical rifles, who thought THAT was a good idea?

I’m just waiting for the paint guns that fire live grenades we can call it tactical paintball .

Gun control appears to be not working in Mexico.

“Moreover, increases in gun totals over time in the United States have not shown increases in homicides. In fact, the opposite is true. According to statistics from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms, new guns manufactured in the United States, since 2011, have been more than double what they were throughout most of the past thirty years. Total gun production rapidly increased from 2001 to 2013, yet, homicide rates were cut in half from the 1990s to today. Although homicide rates have trended up in the past two years, they remain near 50-year lows.”

1 Like

I don’t think much of anything works in Mexico. Dont a lot of those guns come from the US anyway?

President of the MISES institute smells a good money making opportunity though.

It seems to be a meme that America has ‘cultural problems’ that is causing all these deaths. I don’t know what makes America uniquely special in ‘cultural problems’ at this time.
The current ‘breakdown in society’ is something that I’m sure that Plato and Socrates were moaning about way back when.

"Even if we account for all the black-market guns in Mexico, gun totals are still much higher in the US. That is, according to the 2007 Small Arms Survey, it is estimated that there are around 15 million privately-held guns in Mexico, on the high end. Even accounting for an additional increase since 2007, we’re looking at a rate of fewer than 20 guns per 100 people in Mexico. In the United States, on the other hand, that total is around 100 guns per 100 people.

So, if one is going to pin Mexico’s violence problem on “more guns,” they have to account for why there are more than five times as many guns in the US, with only a small fraction of the homicides.

Moreover, the often-quoted statistic allegedly showing that as much as 70 percent, or even 90 percent, of guns seized in Mexico come from the US is not true. That statistic is based only on seized guns that are also traced by the ATF. How many of all guns seized in Mexico come from the US? According to Stratfor, “almost 90 percent of the guns seized in Mexico in 2008 were not traced back to the United States.” Nor does the Mexican government ask the ATF to trace all guns seized in Mexico. This is because many of those arms can be traced back to the Mexican government itself."

This is just quoting one source and doesn’t even link to the original research. And who are stratfor? Are we supposed to take quotes like this at face value and without comparison of different sources?
I don’t really care either way if Mexicos guns come from the US or not, but I can’t tell from one article with no source.