WCIF A washing machine detergent that works?

What washing machine detergent do you use? I have a very good Samsung washing machine and have used just about every detergent you can think of! I’m currently using, very expensive, Persil liquid and none of them remove the lightest stains.

Why don’t Taiwan washing machines have a hot water supply? I’m convinced the low temperature of the water has something to do with it…

If people want to remove stains than they bring it to a professional laundry store. Else, they just keep stains on their clothes, nobody worries about that. Next lunch of beef noodle soup will add more stains. :wink:

Have you tried powdered laundry detergents? Important part of clean clothes is controlling the quality of the water. Powders seem to do that better than liquids. Added benefit is powders are usually cheaper.

Trick is to start the water, let some pool in the tub, add detergent powder to the pool, let more water come in to dissolve the powder fully, then add the clothes. That may not work for your Samsung, though.

Fuzzy logic washers may require you to do that bit manually. Also, the weight of the solution would likely be added to the load’s weight calculation, which may mean your clothes take a harder beating.

Forgot to add: we use liquid Persil, too, and it does an ok job of removing stains. Just pour a dab directly on the stain, works ok.

Have you tried using strain removers before putting into the wash?

My machine isn’t as expensive as yours, but I use a few different spray on stain removers for spills on lighter colored clothes and oil stains. Let the stain remover do it’s job over x hours and then throw it in the wash with the regular all natural detergent I get from PX Mart. Stain removed and problem solved.

Tide gets my whites whiter.

They already have the Panasonic made in Japan hot water models in Taiwan. Problem is clothes here may shrink.

I was using a Japanese brand of powder detergent that has baking soda in it. For hard stains, I soak in baking soda. Currently I am using a liquid detergent from Japan with extreme non clorox desinfectant and stain remover.Both bought in PX Mart.

The wisdom of this post is not to be underestimated.

You can buy Japanese or American washing machines with hot water supply, they are imported in relatively low numbers though and are often quite big for semi professional use. With hot water, your Persil will remove most beef noodle or betelnut stains.

1 Like

How do we know this Nobby character isn’t some serial killer trying to cover his tracks?
Everybody’s giving all this helpful advice no questions asked.
OR
perhaps it’s just another humble brag/ thinly veiled boast about what a great washing machine he has?
SuperS54?

4 Likes

Hmmm, a serial killer whose other hobby is Nobby, yes I see your concern. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

What kinda wacko blows money on expensive liquid detergent, anyway?!

I could have said ‘blood splatter stains’ :thinking:

I always buy the cheapest they have, not worse than the most expensive from my experience. Only hot water and maybe soda. Did the thing my grandma did many eons ago, boil a big pot of water, soda, detergent, soak all the ‘white’, fail!

Funny you mention this now, I just came back from Vietnam after eating one of their soups with red chili in the liquid. It splashed on my white shorts and I figured I would wash it when I got back to Taiwan a few days later.

It set in really damn good and I tried using various detergents here and nothing worked. The spray on stain remover removed about half of it.

My friends recommended since its white to soak it in bleach for 30 minutes before washing, another said to buy one of those laundry soaps that is black in color and scrub it with a laundry brush. they claim it should work, ill report back if it works this weekend.

As for detergent, I havent really noticed one is better than the other personally.

Bleach and cotton, not good friends, it will often turn yellow.

It’s all one big scam!

1 Like

Thanks for all the responses, sensible and not so sensible.

Back in Blighty, I could change the head gasket on a 1967 Ford Cortina and get covered in grease and oil, have several mishaps with tools that lead me to bleed profusely, shit my pants (underpants for our US Friends) lifting my tool chest and all this in white decorators overall. I’d pop the overalls and the shittty pants in my cheap washing machine, add some Tesco ‘Value’ washing powder and BING! Blindingly white overalls and floral smelling, clean pants that my Mrs would wear.

In Taiwan, If I so much as fart and slightly follow through, I have to live with the public shame of skid marks in my pants, hanging on the line, for at least 3 washes!

Anyway, in desperation, I’m off to the river to bash some pants against a rock…

Thanks for all of the advice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Never in my life had troubles keeping my clothes clean but in the Taiwan always.

My favorite clothes never come clean and I found it easier to buy new ones and buy two or three of something if I like it.

2 Likes

What, no Calgon here?

Calgon is a Limescale cleaner for washing machines, not clothes…

Baking soda!!!