WCIF greek yogurt in Taipei?

I love them, but I haven’t seen them anywhere. Greek yogurt has no fat and high in protein. Great snack for people who workout.

I’ve seen Greek yogurt in some of the high end supermarkets: Jason’s, City Super. I believe it’s pretty much a regular item at those places now.

Costco has it too.

1 Like

Ditto on that.

I don’t now if this is good or bad, but they are Costco sized Greek Yogurt. 2 in every box.

1 Like

I have been buying my supply from Costco. It’s NT$ 400 per box and there are 2 32-oz tubs in a box. That is about 40% cheaper per container than yogurt that I have found in Wellcome (not Greek yogurt in Wellcome). The Kirkland Greek Yogurt is plain and non-fat, which is exactly what I like.

I don’t think it should be high in protein. Isn’t Greek yogurt made by squeezing out the whey?

Jason’s stocks it regularly now, in several versions, but of course Costco is cheaper when they have it. You can easily make it by hanging regular unsweetened yogurt in a cheese-straining bag (widely available in Taiwan at $10 stores, sundry goods and baking supply stores as a bag for making doufu/tofu; I hear a clean, tightly woven fine cloth, stocking etc. also work), squeezing it gently, and then leaving it suspended (by tying the bag around a chopstick which is placed over a high bowl, for instance, in the fridge). And it’s also easy to do that after starting from scratch with skim milk if you want low fat, and a bit of live culture yogurt.

What he said. I use a dofu cloth for straining.

The stuff in City Super etc is outrageously expensive. If you make your own and strain it, you get 400-600cc from a litre of milk, ie., 80NT.

Homemade Greek yoghurt will have quite a high fat %, but if you’re a gym rat I don’t see how that’s problem.

2 Likes

You can start with skim milk, too.

I found them at costco. 0g of fat and 23g of protein per serving (1 cup)

1 Like

I like Costco Greek yogurt, it is a fraction (large fraction :slightly_smiling_face:) the cost of Fage, and taste almost exactly the same. I use to eat it with Whole Earth stevia and monkfruit sweetener in the Colorado, it was so good.

Great tips. The cloth is often called 豆漿布 (soy milk cloth) and easily available in any sewing supply store, also places like 小北百貨.

The zero fat stuff is shit. City Super stocks a local brand out of Neihu that does proper Greek yogurt. No need to thank me I’m here to help the local expat community

Thank you. Is is relatively inexpensive?

No. Perfectly priced for the product you receive.

There is this stuff…comes in a white, opaque plastic jar with a blue lid. Two sizes, both small. I cannot remember the name, but I thought those were good. Available at City and Jason’s. But…

There is this yoghurt, not Greek per se, but it is thick…its in a clear container with a green label. I haven’t had it in ages, but I remember it had that yoghurt “tang” to it. I really like it. Add honey with walnuts…you are livin’ right!

Went to Jason’s, no Greek yogurt, unless it’s all Chinese. In any case, I’m going to go back and check the Chinese yogurt closer.

Hi, Costco in Xinzhuang definitely has it. Was there a week ago and they keep it in the dairy product section downstairs. When you enter the room, it’s on one of the shelves on the right. Big ones.

1 Like

Yes, Greek yogurt is almost always available in the Guandu Costco as well. But I believe you have to buy two one-liter containers, which may or may not be appropriate for your fridge space (like those giant sour cream containers at Costco - damn, it’s the same price yet four times the amount of sour cream at the supermarkets, but it just won’t fit in my fridge, and most of it would go bad before I can use it!).

1 Like

I got amazing full fat Greek yogurt at City Super recently that was delicious and outrageously expensive but I haven’t stopped thinking about it since returning to the US. Recall it was made in Taiwan, might be from Neihu. Single serving cups, white plastic, clear “dome” cover that holds a separately sealed “flavor cup” so you can add as much as you want. I got two flavors, blueberry and black sugar longan.

They were offering tastes of it at the City Super under SOGO Fuxing branch so I tried it and I’m glad I did. I was really amused because the woman literally had a carton of milk next to her station so she could physically gesture and demonstrate just how much more milk each carton of Greek-style had vs. non-Greek-style. It is very pricy, NT 120 if I recall, but it is super rich, creamy, and delicious. Highly recommended.

Thank you. I just tried the one with the honey flavor cup from City Super. It’s very small and good and yea NT120 seems high for like 6 or 8 bites but it is filling. Yes, made in Taiwan. It’s the only one that I saw at City Super.

Didn’t see any at all in Jason’s.