What do you think of Geocaching games in Taiwan?

Hello, I’m a newbie to Forumosa.com, so I was not quite sure where to post this question. My name is Matt and I am originally from Sweden. I am part of a small, yet growing, games programming group with members hailing from different parts of the globe. Recently, my group and I thought about starting a new geocaching project (can’t spill all the details yet :aiyo: ), one inspired by Geotoad. Geocaching is a gradually-growing hobby here in Europe, and I’d like to know how it is seen there in Asia, specifically Taiwan. If you’ve participated in geocaching-related activities in Taiwan, I’d love to know how it went, and if it’s already popular on your side of the country. Can you also suggest some interesting spots where we can safely leave geocaching tools? Thank you!

You’re talking my language! I began geocaching in August of 2014, and I’m hooked. I’ve introduced it to my friends (locals and foreigners) and now five of them regularly go geocaching. I’ve also become online friends with other local geocachers (I’m meeting one for the first time on Sunday to go searching together). I’ve found caches in five countries, and next weekend I’ll be in Macau with my geobuddy searching for more.

There are currently about 1,000 active caches in Taiwan, and they’re continuing to increase. I myself have placed four and plan to create more. I would love to be part of this project if that’s possible, so feel free to ask me any specific questions here or by PM.

Looking forward to whatever this project turns out to be!

Dropped my (Travel in Taiwan’s) first geocache close to Taipei Arena. If you want to find it go to http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC64R2Q_tea-pot?guid=c9b654b9-efcd-4889-ab21-e91963eff50c

It’s fun. Being found is fun too. Three people on the first day. Didn’t know that there is an active geocaching community here.

Will drop more caches in the future. Probably one near each MRT station in my area.

Picture by one of the finders:

[quote=“hannes”]Dropped my (Travel in Taiwan’s) first geocache close to Taipei Arena.
[/quote]
I get notices when new caches are published and saw this one. So you’re Travel in Taiwan? Looking forward to finding this one. I’m steve4nlanguage, same handle as here. Up for a challenge? Try my "Goat’s Revenge’ the next time you’re in Taoyuan, a Difficulty 5 with lots of puzzles.

[quote=“Steve4nLanguage”][quote=“hannes”]Dropped my (Travel in Taiwan’s) first geocache close to Taipei Arena.
[/quote]
I get notices when new caches are published and saw this one. So you’re Travel in Taiwan? Looking forward to finding this one. I’m steve4nlanguage, same handle as here. Up for a challenge? Try my "Goat’s Revenge’ the next time you’re in Taoyuan, a Difficulty 5 with lots of puzzles.[/quote]

Sounds cool, but Taoyuan… mmmhhh… :ponder:

This is my first cache to hide, so I made it rather easy to find. Will think of sth more sophisticated for the second one. :sunglasses:

Sounds cool, but Taoyuan… mmmhhh… :ponder:[/quote]
It’s the countdown clock that adds the difficulty: can you find the cache before Taoyuan crushes your soul?

Urban Taoyuan is pretty awful, I admit, but geocaching has brought me to some amazingly beautiful natural areas in Taoyuan County, er…City, that I never knew existed. Hop on a scooter, explore the hills, and look for geocaches…a perfect–and cheap–day out!

Totally agree, even the “Wine Jar Mountain” where you have a cache is actually quite nice.

[quote=“hannes”]Picture by one of the finders:

[/quote]
That’s in my 'hood!!!

Dropped another one in your hood. Interesting, looking for places to hide (which is quite difficult in Taipei where there are people everywhere) you can discover a lot (searching for them likewise of course). Never been in the Guangfu N. Rd. area before.

Went to Taoyuan last weekend and walked the Yangzhoukeng Trail, but didn’t have time to look for your cache. Saw a green tree viper instead, which was super cool and unexpected on this rather busy trail.

This morning I did hide my third cache, in the riverside park behind Songshan’s Ciyou Temple. Easy find. Has yet to be approved by the Geocaching reviewers.

Wow! When I’m walking on well-established trails like this one I don’t even think about venomous snakes. Thanks for the warning.

I’m recovering from a fractured ankle and rib (scooter accident, of course) but when I’m more mobile I will definitely look for your caches.

Wow! When I’m walking on well-established trails like this one I don’t even think about venomous snakes. Thanks for the warning.

I’m recovering from a fractured ankle and rib (scooter accident, of course) but when I’m more mobile I will definitely look for your caches.[/quote]

You found the first. Yay! :discodance:

Yep, and just found your White Marbles. Now off to Postcards!

Yep, and just found your White Marbles. Now off to Postcards![/quote]

Right in time for the Lover’s Bridge to become pretty. :slight_smile:

You found the other two too! And with a hurt leg. Trying to imaging where you go searching when at full strength. Ha ha.

Any suggestions for hiding more caches? I am fairly new at this and haven’t even searched for my own first cache. I actually like the hiding part. I like to hide some more when going on hikes. Not sure if there are any geocachers in Taiwan going in the mountains, though, and it would be impractical to monitor the survival of the cache. What is the ideal cache in your opinion (size, content, location, etc.)?

Dropped a new cache in Taipei (my forth). This once close at Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall. The other three have been found by surprisingly many people. Didn’t expect that. :slight_smile:

I found one in Daan Park just two weeks ago. Was that you?

Nope. My geocaches so far (newest not listed yet) are here: geocaching.com/seek/nearest. … +in+Taiwan

I found your latest cache last Sunday (before the rain started). It’s such a nice big size that I had to drop in a TB that I picked up in Japan. Looking forward to more of yours in the future.