Worlds Smallest Turbocharger?

[quote=“Ducked”]this cheeky bugger trying to sell a coffee can with a propellor in it (Sorry “JDM Supercharger Turbonator”) for anything between 20 and 100 USD.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lot-of-4-Set-Turbo-Stage-2-for-Racing-Go-Kart-%26-Scooter_W0QQitemZ290315520883QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&itemid=290315520883[/quote]
Dude, that ‘coffee can’ was specially designed in a WIND TUNNEL in JAPAN. Damn haters.

Dang, he doesn’t list any for my car! :aiyo:

[quote=“808state”]Chinese made huh? guess the price u can assume it’s china. then again Chinese can mean taiwan too :smiley:
I wouldn’t mind trying a taiwan made. should be fun if u got all the right equipment to go with it.
couple people already turbo there scooter in Taiwan. not sure how well it ran?
oh those nitrous scooters even cars in taiwan is a frikn joke. you ever seen there taiwan local style kits? I was like this when i seen it ---- > :loco:[/quote]

Not well at all, i done a couple of drag races with some and they are almost as slow as stock!.
Locals just cant figure out the whole fueling thing :doh:

Anyway my friend has the genuine japanese IHI turbo in that listing, its not over $1000 either, quite cheap actually!.
Theres a turbo factory near by that manufactures branded turbos that can do one with ball bearing internals too :smiley:

Had a quick look. Jeez! I thought biker sites were bad (present company mostly excepted, of course :smiley: ).

Illiterate Knuckle Draggers Spouting Drivel RUS, plus this cheeky bugger trying to sell a coffee can with a propellor in it (Sorry “JDM Supercharger Turbonator”) for anything between 20 and 100 USD.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lot-of-4-Set-Turbo-Stage-2-for-Racing-Go-Kart-%26-Scooter_W0QQitemZ290315520883QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&itemid=290315520883

Wonder if anyone falls for it :ponder:

Perhaps I should re-think my whole EdsOiler launch strategy. :whistle:[/quote]

yah that one is fake.

i actually did see the real one at the sema show in las vegas (prototype installed in a EVO VIII). brushless motor and a high power control unit. sounded like a t6 turbo at full spool buggah was loud as hell and moving a lot of air. sales pitch was no turbo lag and fully adjustable at any range to match engine. no boost creep or overboost and didn’t need a blow off valve or waste gate.

well it was new not sure if it got off the floor. ofcourse the kit wasn’t cheap either :wink:

[quote=“smellybumlove”][quote=“808state”]Chinese made huh? guess the price u can assume it’s china. then again Chinese can mean taiwan too :smiley:
I wouldn’t mind trying a taiwan made. should be fun if u got all the right equipment to go with it.
oh those nitrous scooters even cars in taiwan is a frikn joke. you ever seen there taiwan local style kits? I was like this when i seen it ---- > :loco:[/quote]

Not well at all, i done a couple of drag races with some and they are almost as slow as stock!.

[/quote]

NOS or turbo?

NOS is fueling problem.

turbo im not sure but i bet it didn’t work well either. thier whole layout is just wrong.

[quote=“redwagon”][quote=“Ducked”]this cheeky bugger trying to sell a coffee can with a propellor in it (Sorry “JDM Supercharger Turbonator”) for anything between 20 and 100 USD.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lot-of-4-Set-Turbo-Stage-2-for-Racing-Go-Kart-%26-Scooter_W0QQitemZ290315520883QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&itemid=290315520883[/quote]
Dude, that ‘coffee can’ was specially designed in a WIND TUNNEL in JAPAN. Damn haters.

Dang, he doesn’t list any for my car! :aiyo:[/quote]

Hey, can you use a :liar: or a :laughing: when you do dat? You’re a mod, after all, and a pillar of the virtual community. Someone might believe you.

I quote “This system work by the suction of the motor.When the motor increases the RPM increases the speed fan and increases the air flow.”

In other words its a passive obstruction in the intake path, absolute bollocks, and a ripoff.

I have heard of electrically powered superchargers, and I guess they might release more power than they consume, though the ones I’ve heard discussed didn’t boost much. Maybe they’ve got better. I remember an entirely inconclusive petrol-headed pub argument about whether it’d be worth using two in series. (I THINK not, but wouldn’t bet much on it)

I would, however, bet loads of money it would not be worth using this “turbonator” in any configuration on anything.

Being a good netizen/busybody I sent eBay a complaint email but I don’t suppose they give a shit.

You’re right, those ‘turbonator’ things are useless in every sense of the word. Don’t bother warning eBay. It’s not their job to prevent fools and their money from separation… quite the opposite really.

And those electric superchargers are as useless as the ‘turbonator’. They cannot possibly flow enough air or create enough pressure to be useful. Two in series is also pointless. An extra fan might increase the pressure in the discharge of the second fan, but the two in series cannot flow any more air than one alone. I am thinking that the electrical load these things place on the electrical system causes the alternator load to increase, the drag of the alternator along with it, and then the restriction the fan(s) would be in the intake system… You’ll end up with a net loss of power to the wheels. Lose / lose.

[quote=“smellybumlove”][quote=“808state”]Chinese made huh? guess the price u can assume it’s china. then again Chinese can mean taiwan too :smiley:

Anyway my friend has the genuine japanese IHI turbo in that listing, its not over $1000 either, quite cheap actually!.
Theres a turbo factory near by that manufactures branded turbos that can do one with ball bearing internals too :smiley:[/quote]

Yeh, well I did say you might be able to eliminate the middle man if you knew where to go. How much was it and how effective was it?

[quote=“redwagon”]You’re right, those ‘turbonator’ things are useless in every sense of the word. Don’t bother warning eBay. It’s not their job to prevent fools and their money from separation… quite the opposite really.

And those electric superchargers are as useless as the ‘turbonator’. They cannot possibly flow enough air or create enough pressure to be useful. Two in series is also pointless. An extra fan might increase the pressure in the discharge of the second fan, but the two in series cannot flow any more air than one alone. I am thinking that the electrical load these things place on the electrical system causes the alternator load to increase, the drag of the alternator along with it, and then the restriction the fan(s) would be in the intake system… You’ll end up with a net loss of power to the wheels. Lose / lose.[/quote]

Seller gets good “credibility” rating too, 98.2 IIRC. Go figure. I suppose either the punters never realise they’ve been mugged, or they are too embarassed to squawk.

If you say the electrics are useless I’d tend to believe you. However, I don’t detect any dramatically obvious bullshit on this site from a quick scan, though they don’t seem to increase the fuelling much.

http://www.gaprojects.com/supercharger/supercharger.htm

Installing a vacuum cleaner to the engine :roflmao:

turbodyne.com/index.php?opti … &Itemid=12

i think this is the same company or was. looks like they went a different direction. when the prototype came out it was geared towards sport compact when market was ripe. now they changed direction towards enviromental friendly lol. electric motor and control box was much bigger (turbo flow). maybe they dropped it cuz u needed a bigger alternator and more battery lol.

guess some one wanted to cash in on this idea.
boosthead.com/home.php

[quote=“Ducked”]

http://www.gaprojects.com/supercharger/supercharger.htm[/quote]

omg that reminds me of a kid back in the states. drove his honda civic and i asked what’s this switch for? he said a electric fan on the intake. i was like u gotta be kidding me (this happened 10yrs ago).

popped the hood and i saw one large black computer fan in front of the intake tube (airbox was missing). i laughed and he said it does help a little :roflmao:

[quote=“808state”][quote=“Ducked”]

omg that reminds me of a kid back in the states. drove his honda civic and i asked what’s this switch for? he said a electric fan on the intake. I was like u gotta be kidding me (this happened 10yrs ago).

popped the hood and I saw one large black computer fan in front of the intake tube (airbox was missing). i laughed and he said it does help a little :roflmao:[/quote]

It might remind you of it, but that incident isn’t a fair representation of the sites content, if thats what you meant. They discuss power requirements and mention computer fans as an example of a “supercharger scam”. They claim power requirements of between 720 and 1800 Watts for their design. Computer case fans typically draw about 2 Watts.

Of course, even if an electric supercharger can or could work, its bound to be less efficient than a mechanical (belt driven) one, because of the hardware required and the energy conversion losses

There is an actual electric turbo… its in taiwan and its reported to work pretty well.
But i have no links, i saw one installed on a camry once!.

[quote=“smellybumlove”]There is an actual electric turbo… its in taiwan and its reported to work pretty well.
But I have no links, I saw one installed on a camry once!.[/quote]
Of course it is possible to make an effective electric supercharger, but it’s not practical. By the time you have sourced a proper centrifugal compressor, a motor to drive it, and then upgraded the charging system to run the whole shebang, you are close to the price of a turbo kit. Then you still have to retune the engine management system for the extra air, just like you would with a turbo or mechanical supercharger.
Since a turbocharger is by definition driven by surplus energy from the exhaust gases, you will never get close to this efficiency with any other system.

[quote=“Ducked”][quote=“808state”][quote=“Ducked”]

omg that reminds me of a kid back in the states. drove his honda civic and i asked what’s this switch for? he said a electric fan on the intake. I was like u gotta be kidding me (this happened 10yrs ago).

popped the hood and I saw one large black computer fan in front of the intake tube (airbox was missing). i laughed and he said it does help a little :roflmao:[/quote]

It might remind you of it, but that incident isn’t a fair representation of the sites content, if thats what you meant. They discuss power requirements and mention computer fans as an example of a “supercharger scam”. They claim power requirements of between 720 and 1800 Watts for their design. Computer case fans typically draw about 2 Watts.

Of course, even if an electric supercharger can or could work, its bound to be less efficient than a mechanical (belt driven) one, because of the hardware required and the energy conversion losses[/quote]

just reminded me of it since was over 10 years ago, nothing to do with the website. clearly this website has a 1,800w motor/blower and that’s a gigantic step from 2 watts lol.

im sure with the new brushless motors thats made in taiwan some one can make a smaller one. :whistle:
oh wait some 1 did it was just mentioned earlier (smellybumlove). i seen it at the auto parts convention in taipei couple years back and now in magazines :wink:

[quote=“808state”]
just reminded me of it since was over 10 years ago, nothing to do with the website. clearly this website has a 1,800w motor/blower and that’s a gigantic step from 2 watts lol.
im sure with the new brushless motors thats made in taiwan some one can make a smaller one. :whistle:
oh wait some 1 did it was just mentioned earlier (smellybumlove). i seen it at the auto parts convention in taipei couple years back and now in magazines :wink:[/quote]

Yeah its real, but requires 3 or more big batterys to run…
The one i saw was half an eaton with what looked like 3 huge electric motors sticking out of it, the pitch is that you can just bolt on to your existing intake and it will make about 8psi.
Problem is the extreme electronic setup, the cost and the increased weight it brings.

But im sure within the next year or so, someone will make a crafty single battery and amazing single motor to drive it with a much reduced cost.
I recon within about 10 years something like this will be on retail cars, sort of a turbo hybrid :wink:

[quote=“smellybumlove”][quote=“808state”]
oh wait some 1 did it was just mentioned earlier (smellybumlove). i seen it at the auto parts convention in taipei couple years back and now in magazines :wink:[/quote]

Yeah its real, but requires 3 or more big batterys to run…
The one I saw was half an eaton with what looked like 3 huge electric motors sticking out of it, the pitch is that you can just bolt on to your existing intake and it will make about 8psi.
Problem is the extreme electronic setup, the cost and the increased weight it brings.

But im sure within the next year or so, someone will make a crafty single battery and amazing single motor to drive it with a much reduced cost.
I recon within about 10 years something like this will be on retail cars, sort of a turbo hybrid :wink:[/quote]

Why? Only advantage I can see is you get to control it independantly of engine revs (possible on a mechanical one but would need a clutch/gearing) and I’m not sure thats especially useful, since boost is most likely to be required at high revs.

Otherwise it must be less efficient, surely? Ye canny change the laws o’ physics, Captain.

Oh and its NOT a turbo, (“hybrid” with what?) its a supercharger. (I r a inglish teecha. wurdz hav meening)

[quote=“Ducked”]
Oh and its NOT a turbo, (“hybrid” with what?) its a supercharger. (I r a inglish teecha. wurdz hav meening)[/quote]
Various people have tried using a turbo with a mechanical drive of some sort to spool the compressor up before there’s enough energy in the exhaust gas to do it. In theory you’d end up with the advantages of both the supercharger and the turbocharger. The usual problem with turbochargers for automotive applications is the trade off between boost threshold and high-rpm efficiency / performance. You make a turbo small enough to spool off of idle and it won’t flow much at high engine speeds. Make one big enough to hold target boost to redline and it takes forever to spool up. If you could fit the bigger turbine / compressor needed for high-end flow and spool it with an external drive, then you’d have the best of both worlds.
The best idea is to connect the turbine shaft to the crankshaft via differential gears and an overrun clutch. The crank drives the turbine shaft until the turbine spools up, then it ‘overtakes’ the overrun clutch and drives the compressor by itself. At some point the turbine then feeds surplus torque back to the crankshaft to further improve efficiency. Seeing as a mechanical gear train like this is very complex, heavy and expensive, perhaps an electric motor to do the job of spooling the turbo isn’t so bad. It’s certainly less polluting than nitrous! The motor would only have to run long enough to spool the turbo. Once target boost pressure is seen it could shut off again.

Isn’t it what Volkswagen is doing with twincharger TSI engines that have both compressor and turbo units? low rpm is covered by compressor and turbo takes off after mid range until high rpm

greencarcongress.com/2005/08 … new.html
“low-end power boost provided by a mechanically-driven compressor (supercharging) with the higher-end increase provided by an exhaust turbocharger (turbocharging) to enable the downsizing of the engine for a given application”

Yes, though the rather modest power outputs they are seeing makes one wonder if the complexity is worth it.

If you could spool the turbo directly with a motor, you’d obviate the need for the separate mechanical drive and second compressor.