XP support ending--move to Linux?

[quote=“hansioux”]wait no more, full final of Pinguy OS’ 14.04 release is here

sourceforge.net/projects/pinguy- … _LTS/Full/[/quote]

Yes it is! Burned and ready but have to complete the unavoidable first

Edit: the unavoidable is done. Let’s do this shit

Done–initially–seems laggy. Maybe too much for my hardware? And a disturbing tendency for the screen to black out. Prop driver came installed

gnome 3/gnome shell requires GPU rendering just like Unity, so chances are if your display card didn’t handle Unity well, it’s not going to handle gnome shell all that well either.

Before abandoning ship though, you could try installing other desktop environments on it, just to see which one runs smoothly on your PC. gnome-session-fallback is worth a try, so are LXDE, XFCE, Cinnamon and MATE.

If you installed flashback, log out and choose gnome flashback Metacity NOT Compiz.
Otherwise, it’s gnome classic 2d.

Thanks guys will try those in a bit. Not working well enough as of now.

I’ve never really tried PinguyOS. But I just looked at their web site now and saw this straight away:

PinguyOS uses the very popular Gnome-Shell user interface. But with a lot of plugins and additions, PinguyOS really takes Gnome-Shell to the next level

It may just be my philosophy, but I prefer to take a minimalist approach. When you throw in everything plus the kitchen sink, performance lags. I’d rather have speed than dancing icons that play the national anthem, or whatever.

Anyway, you may want to see if the package lxde or better yet lubuntu-desktop is available for PinguyOS. Install either one of those, log-out and log-in to the lxde/lubuntu desktop, and things should be much faster. But then you’ll have to live without the bells and whistles.

cheers,
DB

I’ve never really tried PinguyOS. But I just looked at their web site now and saw this straight away:

PinguyOS uses the very popular Gnome-Shell user interface. But with a lot of plugins and additions, PinguyOS really takes Gnome-Shell to the next level

It may just be my philosophy, but I prefer to take a minimalist approach. When you throw in everything plus the kitchen sink, performance lags. I’d rather have speed than dancing icons that play the national anthem, or whatever.

Anyway, you may want to see if the package lxde or better yet lubuntu-desktop is available for PinguyOS. Install either one of those, log-out and log-in to the lxde/lubuntu desktop, and things should be much faster. But then you’ll have to live without the bells and whistles.

cheers,
DB[/quote]

I thought lxde was the first thing tempo tried? I think the thing that’s getting in tempo’s way is the video card driver, like how it is for most people.

it’s not pinguy os that’s making things lag, it’s gnome-shell itself, since tempo has an old graphics card which isn’t powerful enough to drive a DE that needs graphical acceleration, and poor driver support doesn’t help matters.

It sounded like he was able to get things to work fairly well under Lubuntu, so by throwing lxde on top of Pinguy, it should work fine as well.

Testing Mint Cinnamon again. Managed to change the resolution through terminal commands, yay. Seems better actually. This may be the final answer

Installed and running smooth. My monitor issues are much better at the higher res. But getting a highly annoying black screen flash–like that when you change screen resolution–when opening web pages with flash content (eg youtube) and certain programs (thunderbird). Looking into it.

Can you put this into the terminal and copy paste the output here.

grep -i --color memory /var/log/Xorg.0.log

If you use NVIDA with the NVIDIA driver, open NVIDIA x server settings
click on OpenGL settings and set the slider to high performance.

Ahh think I fixed it by disabling hardware acceleration in the flash settings.

[quote=“Hamletintaiwan”]
Can you put this into the terminal and copy paste the output here.[/quote]

[ 43.401] (–) NVIDIA(0): Memory: 262144 kBytes
[ 43.432] (II) NVIDIA: Using 768.00 MB of virtual memory for indirect memory access.
[ 43.520] (==) NVIDIA(0): Disabling shared memory pixmaps

[quote]If you use NVIDA with the NVIDIA driver, open NVIDIA x server settings
click on OpenGL settings and set the slider to high performance.[/quote]

done, thanks

Oddly still happens when starting thundebird, but that’s much less annoying. I copied my windows folders over, maybe the naming is off?

Well I’ve had a lot of fun banging around the internet tonight. so it passes the test basically

that’s good to know. nvidia’s driver support has always been… a bit incomplete. It’s getting better for newer GPUs after Linus Torvald gave them the finger, but with legacy display cards it’s a hit or miss.

[quote=“hansioux”]
that’s good to know. nvidia’s driver support has always been… a bit incomplete. It’s getting better for newer GPUs after Linus Torvald gave them the finger, but with legacy display cards it’s a hit or miss.[/quote]

Seems to be working good. Seem to have eliminated the last annoying issue I was having (black screen flashing for a second when opening certain programs or going to fullscreen) with a display driver setting. I like it so far! Now need to get Wine working, no success yet.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“hansioux”]
that’s good to know. nvidia’s driver support has always been… a bit incomplete. It’s getting better for newer GPUs after Linus Torvald gave them the finger, but with legacy display cards it’s a hit or miss.[/quote]

Seems to be working good. Seem to have eliminated the last annoying issue I was having (black screen flashing for a second when opening certain programs or going to fullscreen) with a display driver setting. I like it so far! Now need to get Wine working, no success yet.[/quote]

what do you need one wine.

I would suggest you go with playonlinux

playonlinux.com/en/download.html

(use the ubuntu one for Mint)

just set up the PPA and it will be able to update itself.

PlayOnLinux is a great tool for managing separate Windows applications in their individual wineprefixes. It also has a catalog of what settings to use with which Windows program, which saves a lot of time.

Out of interest, what are you guys running on WINE? I haven’t needed to install WINE for years now. That said, I might install it and see if I can get my LINE 6 POD running on it.

Photoshop CS5
Adobe Lightroom
Adobe Essentials

Rosetta Learn Chinese
ABBYY Finereader OCR
Office 2000 for finereader Document transfer and keeping the formatting.
Longman dictionary with pronunciation American and British.
Far east 3000 Chinese Characters includes stroke animation, pronunciation.

Interactive CD from studio classroom, let’s talk in English. etc.

I used to run Sopcast, TVU player and ants.

The Japanese messanger service LINE for android and windows will run under wine.
Picasa