100,000 Child Slave Prostitutes in Taiwan

That must be EOD’s point then. Child prostitution in Taiwan is as bad as the USA.

Brian

Looks like you missed a couple letters there. Or did you? :wink:

The next logical step is to try to figure out a way, we as individuals can help alleviate the suffering of these children. Both here and around the world.
Any ideas?

You could start by sending some money or offering your volunteer services to the Garden of Hope

Making a Donation

Sexually abused children have mouths but cannot cry out for help. They want to escape from the place that cannot protect them. The Garden of Hope

[quote=“EOD”]If you contribute NT$500 per month, you will receive two second generation Garden of Hope Babies (a boy and a girl) and the Garden of Hope E-News.
If you contribute NT$1000 per month, you will receive one first generation Garden of Hope Baby and the Garden of Hope E-News.
If you contribute NT$2000 per month, you will receive two first generation Garden of Hope Babies (a boy and a girl) and the Garden of Hope E-News.[/quote]
I give them money and they give me two babies? No questions asked? Cool.

Check here:

natwa.com/address.html

Cranky… I agree that the 100,000 figure is probably too high… But I don’t think you can debunk that using census numbers… Any population information would be official census type information… It’s quite probable that a majority of those child prostitutes were brought here illegally and therefore have no record of existence…

I dunno…

Daryl

Sure I can. The site says 100,000 “children” in the sex industry. It also says, “Taiwanese aboriginal children are disproportionately represented among sexually exploited children; they make up 20% of the total…”

Taiwanese Aboriginal children aren’t imported into Taiwan, so census figures are entirely appropriate here.

Twenty percent of 100,000 is 20,000. There are only 20,000 Aborigine girls in that age group. So according to that site every Aborigine girl 12-17 is a child sex worker.

I said it before, and I’m saying it again: bullshit. Those figures can’t be correct.

I’m not saying Taiwan doesn’t have a problem or that it isn’t serious. I’m just saying those numbers don’t add up or even make sense. Organizations wanting to combat problems should give reasonable figures that are documented as well as possible if they want to be taken seriously.

It seems this kind of exaggeration is common. Here’s an article debuking the prostitute-slave situation in Eastern Europe.

[url]http://www.spectator.co.uk/article.php3?table=old

In the late 1980’s, local media here reported there were over 5,000 “barbershops” in Taipei.

I can understand how statistics can be interpreted in different ways. I cannot understand how a person could possibly believe that the most conservative numbers given by a government so notoriously corrupt, as the one on Taiwan, and the most liberal numbers given by an organisation that is trying to bring attention to the problem in the US, are comparable.
Seems like a bit of a stretch to me.
Crank, is that a widely used term?

The point is that those figures are obviously wrong. Cranky pointed out the logical inconsistency of them. If those figures are right, then it means that every aboriginal girl in Taiwan is a prostitute, which is patently false, so the figures must be wrong.

Brian

What is really a stretch happens to the imagination of those who take some unverified or unverifiable statistics at its face value and then insist on making a point of it.

Again, I contend that the goverment on Taiwan openly and blatantly misreports information that could be embarassing or even politically disruptive.
Not just the numbers of children being exploited, but everything from traffic statistics to the population of the ethnic minorities here on Taiwan.
forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?p=63603#63603

And what government doesn’t make efforts to suppress information that might tarnish its image?

Being that you’re out to press a point, why not tell us all: Exactly how children do you know that have been exploited?

Exploited or Abused or both?

So what your saying EOD, is that the problem with Cranky’s analysis is that there are in fact many many more aborigines in Taiwan than the Government claims. That’s the only way your argument holds up. That is to say if your figure of 100 000 child prostitutes (of which 20% are aborigine girls) is true, then the Government must be lying ehn it says that there are only 20000 aborigine girls in the country. Perhaps there’s 40000 and only half of them are prostitutes. Taht’d make for quite a story. I think you should contact the papers. “Government Lies About Aborigine Numbers”. “Half of Aborigine Girls Are Prostitutes”.

Brian

To justify my claim I need go no further than my oldest son. He was born to a Taiwanese Mother and American Father in Taiwan. Heritage and race in Taiwan are determined only by the father’s race and not the mother’s. Hence when my oldest son was born in Taiwan he was an illegal alien from the moment of his birth. The only way for him to become a Taiwanese national was for me to give up legal guardianship of him under the laws of the R.O.C. and let his mother adopt him.
I am very certain that ethnicity among the aboriginal people in Taiwan is determined by the same method. Hence, when any aboriginal woman marries a Chinese man, her children are his property, and not hers. Making them Chinese and not Aboriginal Taiwanese.
In fact the vast majority of these children are considered to be aboriginal by the openly racist society on Taiwan and treated as such. They are for accounting purposes, considered to be ethnic Chinese by the government on Taiwan. When an international, NGO states that a large percentage of the child prostitutes are of aboriginal origin, they are stating the reality of the situation and not the face saving, official policy of the R.O.C. government.
This may be news to you, but is an accepted practice here in Taiwan. One must also take into account that the aboriginals are considered to be second class citizens, much like everywhere else on the planet.

Aw, man… Isreal probably belongs to its own thread… I got plenty to say about its brutal and supposedly “democtratic” government… But I digress…

[quote=“Screaming Jesus”]
China specializes in other forms of slavery–the “work camp” version (some actually legal there) and the “debt slavery” version. The latter category would apply to many of the illegal Chinese immigrants who are smuggled into more advanced economies. I’ve read some of their experiences in the trans-Pacific crossing. Many are raped and killed during these voyages. It’s truly horrific what we human beings have become.[/quote]
You are absolutely right about this one. I have come to learn at least 3-4 cases here in NYC after me and my wife got to know some Chinese “immigrants” here. They each paid between $70-90K (cash, and must be paid upfront) with money borrowed from loan sharks just to get out (so if you have a wife and wish to bring her along, that’s double, triple with a kid… etc). And then once you get here, you have to work like you have never worked before to make the money to pay back the loan sharks. 12-14 hour work days/7 days a week is not unheard of. But oddly, they get to have green cards, and in some cases, even citizenships! They claim the process is all “legal”. But we didn’t want to be impolite and intrude on their personal business… didn’t ask any further…

scchu