2008 USA Republican Party Presidential Campaign

That’s not the only questionable choice among his lobbiests…

McCain Elevates Loeffler

[quote]While McCain is already benefiting from Loeffler’s connections in the donor world, Loeffler’s lobbying ties could be a source of some controversy for McCain. Loeffler has lobbied for Saudi Arabia for several years and has been richly rewarded. In the first six months of last year, The Loeffler Group collected more than $5 million in fees, according to a report in O’Dwyer’s PR Services Report.

The elevation of Loeffler shows – yet again – that McCain is running as the establishment choice in the 2008 presidential race. Loeffler is an old guard establishment Republican who can (the McCain campaign hopes) vouch for him with contributors, lawmakers and other assorted wise men of the party. [/quote]

McCain, top advisers lobbied for Airbus deal that cost U.S. jobs

[quote]Oh my:

McCain Advisers Lobbied for Airbus

WASHINGTON (AP) — Top current advisers to Sen. John McCain's presidential campaign last year lobbied for a European plane maker that beat Boeing to a $35 billion Air Force tanker contract, taking sides in a bidding fight that McCain has tried to referee for more than five years.

The thing is, John McCain hasn’t exactly been a neutral referee – in fact, he’s done a lot to help Airbus.

In 2006, McCain lobbied the Bush Administration to change its procurement practices so that Airbus, along with its partner Northrop Grumman, could bid on a $35 billion U.S. Air Force contract that may eventually be worth $100 billion. Well, McCain’s hard work paid off and two weeks ago, the Airbus-Northrop consortium won the contract, beating out Boeing.

As a result, thousands of jobs that would have been created and supported here in the United States will instead go overseas.

And now it turns out that John McCain’s campaign team has at least three lobbyists who were hired by Airbus to help the European aerospace giant win that very same contract.[/quote]

Is it any wonder no one rushes to defend McCain on this thread any more? What’s there to defend?

McCain was right to push for Airbus. Boeing’s been on the gov’t teat for a long time… remember the stampede to the trough after 9/11? McCain was a lonely voice condemning flag-wrapped corporate welfare at the time.

Yeah, Airbus also gets a lot of European gov’t assistance. Doesn’t matter. Boeing et al have to realize that there’s end to gov’t indulgence.

[quote=“Jaboney”]McCain was right to push for Airbus. Boeing’s been on the gov’t teat for a long time…
Boeing et al have to realize that there’s end to gov’t indulgence.[/quote]LOL…unh hunh…yeah…riiight

Boeing Integrated Systems

Boeing Military Aircraft and Missile Systems Group, Seattle

Boeing IDS products (Military items made by Boeing)

Most people, those who actually understand the subject, would say that the US has gotten their money’s worth from Boeing over the years. Yes, there have been some glitches. And these have been found and corrected. But its provided good ‘bang for its bucks’ to the tax-payers and the war fighters.

[quote=“Jaboney”]McCain was right to push for Airbus. Boeing’s been on the gov’t teat for a long time… remember the stampede to the trough after 9/11? McCain was a lonely voice condemning flag-wrapped corporate welfare at the time.

Yeah, Airbus also gets a lot of European gov’t assistance. Doesn’t matter. Boeing et al have to realize that there’s end to gov’t indulgence.[/quote]

It ‘doesn’t matter’ that the playing field isn’t level? Sez who?

An item that might be of interest to one or two of the ‘fringe element’ who have sought to pump air in to the McCain-Hagee non-item.

[quote]Hagee Apologizes to Catholics
5/13/2008
Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights (www.catholicleague.org/)

“It is this sense of Christian fellowship I hope to re-establish with Catholics with whom I and all Evangelicals must unite to be a voice for life, the family, marriage and Christian values to our Nation and the world.”

NEW YORK, NY (Catholic League)- Pastor John Hagee of Cornerstone Church in San Antonio, Texas, wrote a letter of apology to the Catholic community.

It is set forth in its entirety:

Catholic League for Civil and Religious Rights
Attn: Mr. William Donohue, President
450 Seventh Avenue
New York, NY 10123

Dear Mr. Donohue,

In so far as some of my past statements regarding the Roman Catholic Church have raised concerns in your community, I am writing in a spirit of respect and reconciliation to clarify my views.

Out of a desire to advance greater unity among Catholics and Evangelicals in promoting the common good, I want to express my deep regret for any comments that Catholics have found hurtful. After engaging in constructive dialogue with Catholic friends and leaders, I now have an improved understanding of the Catholic Church, its relation to the Jewish faith, and the history of anti-Catholicism.

In my zeal to oppose anti-Semitism and bigotry in all its ugly forms, I have often emphasized the darkest chapters in the history of catholic and Protestant relations with the Jews. In the process, I may have contributed to the mistaken impression that the anti-Jewish violence of the Crusades and the Inquisition, defines the Catholic Church.

It most certainly does not.

Likewise, I have not sufficiently expressed my deep appreciation for the efforts of Catholics who opposed the persecution of the Jewish people. It is important to note that there were thousands of righteous Catholics – both clergy and laymen- who risked their lives to save Jews from the Holocaust. According to many scholars, including martin Gilbert and Rabbi David Dalin (author of “The Myth of Hitler’s Pope”), Pope Pius XII personally intervened to save Jews.

In addition, I better understand that reference to the Roman Catholic Church as the “apostate church” and the “great whore”, appear only during the seven years of tribulation after all true believers – Catholic and Protestant- have been taken up to heaven. Therefore, neither of these phrases can be synonymous with the Catholic Church.

In recent decades, Catholics and Evangelicals of good will have worked together to defeat communism, promote what Pope John Paul II called a “culture of life” that protects every human life from conception to natural death, honors the institution of marriage, and defends the rights of the poor.

As I wrote in my tribute to Pope Benedict XVI after President Bush welcomed him to the White House, he “spoke for all of us when he said that ‘any tendency to treat religion as a private matter must be resisted’ and called for Christian participation ‘ in the exchange of ideas in the public square.’’’ Both Catholics and Evangelicals have been engaged in an effort to assert the primacy of faith and values in our increasingly secular society.

My profound respect for the Catholic people has been expressed in my own ministry. For example, when the Ursuline Sisters of San Antonio were on the verge of losing their home, our Church bought the property for our school and allowed them to continue living in their home free of charge for twelve years. The sisters were part of the daily life of the School, walking the grounds and the hallways where the children would embrace them and hold their hands in friendship.

The love of the schoolchildren for those sisters symbolized my own feelings as well. I pledge to address these sensitive subjects in the future with a greater level of compassion and respect for my Catholic brothers and sisters in Christ.

It is this sense of Christian fellowship I hope to re-establish with Catholics with whom I and all Evangelicals must unite to be a voice for life, the family, marriage and Christian values to our Nation and the world.

Sincerely,

Pastor John Hagee[/quote]
catholic.org/national/nation … p?id=27938

Oh well…its really of little relevance.

As a practicing Catholic I have to say I respect Pastor Hagee for his apology.

[i]McCain Bristles at Accusation He Has a Bad Temper

Presumptive Republican presidential nominee Senator John McCain (Ariz.) told a campaign audience that charges he has a bad temper make him angry. “In fact, I had to deck one of my senate colleagues for calling me ‘Senator Hothead,’” McCain announced. “For me, fighting for this country and my beliefs isn’t just a figure-of-speech.”

McCain argued that he is “the perfect candidate for those bitter Americans who cling to guns and religion and have antipathy toward those who hate our country.”

Senator Barack Obama (D-Ill.) called McCain’s remarks “a vindication of my plan to rejuvenate America by sweeping aside the angry oldsters Senator McCain represents.” Obama denied he was insensitive to the needs of the elderly. “Under my administration there will be death with dignity for these people,” he promised.

In related news, Obama boasted that he’s “campaigned in 57 states—more than any of my competitors. I think when it comes to showing that I want to represent all the people, I’ve walked the walk.” Obama said he regretted not being able to campaign in Hawaii, where he was born, but was advised against it “because Hawaii is not yet a state.” [/i]
azconservative.org/Semmens1.htm

The show never ends…:smiley:

He’d be a shoo-in in Taiwan

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]An item that might be of interest to one or two of the ‘fringe element’ who have sought to pump air in to the McCain-Hagee non-item.

[quote]Hagee Apologizes to Catholics
5/13/2008
Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights (www.catholicleague.org/)

“It is this sense of Christian fellowship I hope to re-establish with Catholics with whom I and all Evangelicals must unite to be a voice for life, the family, marriage and Christian values to our Nation and the world.”

NEW YORK, NY (Catholic League)- Pastor John Hagee of Cornerstone Church in San Antonio, Texas, wrote a letter of apology to the Catholic community.

It is set forth in its entirety:

Catholic League for Civil and Religious Rights
Attn: Mr. William Donohue, President
450 Seventh Avenue
New York, NY 10123

Dear Mr. Donohue,

In so far as some of my past statements regarding the Roman Catholic Church have raised concerns in your community, I am writing in a spirit of respect and reconciliation to clarify my views.

Out of a desire to advance greater unity among Catholics and Evangelicals in promoting the common good, I want to express my deep regret for any comments that Catholics have found hurtful. After engaging in constructive dialogue with Catholic friends and leaders, I now have an improved understanding of the Catholic Church, its relation to the Jewish faith, and the history of anti-Catholicism.

In my zeal to oppose anti-Semitism and bigotry in all its ugly forms, I have often emphasized the darkest chapters in the history of catholic and Protestant relations with the Jews. In the process, I may have contributed to the mistaken impression that the anti-Jewish violence of the Crusades and the Inquisition, defines the Catholic Church.

It most certainly does not.

Likewise, I have not sufficiently expressed my deep appreciation for the efforts of Catholics who opposed the persecution of the Jewish people. It is important to note that there were thousands of righteous Catholics – both clergy and laymen- who risked their lives to save Jews from the Holocaust. According to many scholars, including martin Gilbert and Rabbi David Dalin (author of “The Myth of Hitler’s Pope”), Pope Pius XII personally intervened to save Jews.

In addition, I better understand that reference to the Roman Catholic Church as the “apostate church” and the “great whore”, appear only during the seven years of tribulation after all true believers – Catholic and Protestant- have been taken up to heaven. Therefore, neither of these phrases can be synonymous with the Catholic Church.

In recent decades, Catholics and Evangelicals of good will have worked together to defeat communism, promote what Pope John Paul II called a “culture of life” that protects every human life from conception to natural death, honors the institution of marriage, and defends the rights of the poor.

As I wrote in my tribute to Pope Benedict XVI after President Bush welcomed him to the White House, he “spoke for all of us when he said that ‘any tendency to treat religion as a private matter must be resisted’ and called for Christian participation ‘ in the exchange of ideas in the public square.’’’ Both Catholics and Evangelicals have been engaged in an effort to assert the primacy of faith and values in our increasingly secular society.

My profound respect for the Catholic people has been expressed in my own ministry. For example, when the Ursuline Sisters of San Antonio were on the verge of losing their home, our Church bought the property for our school and allowed them to continue living in their home free of charge for twelve years. The sisters were part of the daily life of the School, walking the grounds and the hallways where the children would embrace them and hold their hands in friendship.

The love of the schoolchildren for those sisters symbolized my own feelings as well. I pledge to address these sensitive subjects in the future with a greater level of compassion and respect for my Catholic brothers and sisters in Christ.

It is this sense of Christian fellowship I hope to re-establish with Catholics with whom I and all Evangelicals must unite to be a voice for life, the family, marriage and Christian values to our Nation and the world.

Sincerely,

Pastor John Hagee[/quote]
catholic.org/national/nation … p?id=27938

Oh well…its really of little relevance.[/quote]

Gee, now that I’ve been busted as an anti-Catholic bigot, it might hurt my political influence, so I’ve just discovered my deep theological insight into the Book of Revelations might be inconvenient- oops, I mean misinformed.
I still hope that all the Jews who don’t become Christians will die, though.

This article could has relevance to both the Demo and the Rep party, but considering the author, I’m placing it here.

[quote]The GOP Must Stand for Something
By KARL ROVE, May 15, 2008

Tuesday’s election results highlighted challenges for both Democrats and Republicans.

Republicans received a hard shot in Mississippi. Greg Davis (for whom I campaigned and who was a well-qualified candidate) narrowly lost a special congressional election in a district President George W. Bush carried four years ago with 62% of the vote. Democrats pulled off the win by smartly nominating a conservative, Travis Childers, from a rural swing part of the district who disavowed Barack Obama and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and hit Mr. Davis from the right.

This blow to the GOP came after two other special congressional election losses in recent months. Republicans lost former House Speaker Denny Hastert’s Illinois seat and Rep. Richard Baker’s Louisiana seat.

Both of those losses can be attributed to bad candidates. But that only shows the GOP can’t take “safe” seats for granted when Democrats run conservatives who distance themselves from their national party leaders. The string of defeats should cure Republicans of the habit of simply shouting “liberal! liberal! liberal!” in hopes of winning an election. They need to press a reform agenda full of sharp contrasts with the Democrats.

Why is it tough sledding for Republicans? Public revulsion at GOP scandals was a large factor in the party’s 2006 congressional defeat. Some brand damage remains, as does the downward pull of the president’s approval ratings. But the principal elements are the Iraq war and a struggling economy.

Gallup’s 2007 report found that fewer voters identify themselves as Republicans now than at any point in the past 20 years – despite the fact that less than a fifth of Americans agree with Mr. Obama’s call to rapidly withdraw from Iraq. And while many Americans are concerned about the economy, most are satisfied with their own finances.

As Republican ranks declined, the number of independents and Democrats grew. Has the bottom been reached? It’s too early to know. But Americans are acknowledging progress in Iraq, economists are suggesting the economy will be in better shape this fall, and a recent ABC/Washington Post poll found GOP identification rising.

What is clear is that John McCain and Republicans will prevail only if they convince voters that there are profound consequences at stake in Iraq, and that more and better jobs will follow from the GOP’s approach of lowering taxes, opening trade, and ending earmarks and other pro-growth policies.

Republicans also face challenges with the young (whose opposition to the war and attraction to Mr. Obama have made them Democrats) and Hispanics (the fastest-growing part of the electorate). A recent survey offers some encouraging news. Mr. McCain is polling as high as 41% with Hispanics – close to President Bush’s 44% in 2004.

Democrats shouldn’t be complacent after Tuesday. Their problems start with Mr. Obama’s 41-point loss to Hillary Clinton in West Virginia. Mr. Obama lost the primary because the rejection of him by blue-collar voters is hardening. The last Democrat to win the presidency without carrying the Mountain State was Woodrow Wilson in 1916.

Barely half of Mrs. Clinton’s supporters in Indiana, North Carolina and West Virginia say they’re ready to support Mr. Obama against Mr. McCain today. Without solid support from these voters, Mr. Obama will be in trouble in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, West Virginia, Wisconsin and other battlegrounds.

So far, Mr. Obama owes his success to elites captivated by his personality. But in the general election, most folks will care more about a candidate’s philosophy and stand on the issues. And what’s considered mainstream values in a general election is different than in a primary.

Mr. Obama knows this, which is why he peppered his North Carolina primary night speech with culturally conservative language. And it is also why he is reaching out to Jewish voters.

Mr. Obama leads Mr. McCain 61%-32% among Jews. John Kerry won the Jewish vote 74%-25% in 2004. A weak performance for Mr. Obama could make it harder to win Michigan, Pennsylvania, Ohio or Florida. It could even put New Jersey in play.

Then there are the record low congressional approval ratings. No Congress has fallen as far and as fast as the Nancy Pelosi/Harry Reid-led House and Senate. Unlike President Bush, congressional Democrats will be on the ballot this fall, and can do little to improve their lackluster record before then. It must also be disconcerting for Ms. Pelosi that the Democrats’ winning formula has meant conceding ground on guns, prayer, partial-birth abortion and other issues that matter to social conservatives.

Both parties face major challenges and have little time to alter the dynamics of the election to their advantage. Recognizing underlying problems and correcting them within a matter of a couple of months is one of the supreme challenges in politics. Whichever party does that fast and well will benefit come November.

[i]Mr. Rove is the former senior adviser and deputy chief of staff to President George W. Bush.[/i]
WSJ online[/quote]

Good points all.

Being called ‘Bush’s Brain’ is thought of as a compliment?

Good points all.[/quote]

Yea, good point. Ha ha. Damned elites. Look at them all. America is overrun with them.

petty issues from the oppo on this one.

Rove is missing the damage done by his crew to the GOP by their:

1. Lack of action to the flood of iilegal invaders and the social and economic destruction they have ben and are doing.
  2. Being utterly spineless in supporting their judicial nominees
  3. Spending like the proverbial drunken sailors - with less to show for it.
  4. Lack of strength in consistently uniting for a reform agenda in contrast to the Demo agenda.

The problem for the Republicans now is that former party members dislike the Democrats, but HATE the Republicans.
I don’t trust them. Why should I?
The apex of Republican stupidity was after congressman William Jefferson was caught with $50,000 worth of bribes in his freezer, and Denny Hastert turned a completely Democrat scandal into a bipartisan scandal by attacking the FBI. Why should I like stupid people?
In 2003 Bush had approval ratings in the mid-60s. Then he made his announcement that he was going to push for amnesty for illegal aliens. His popularity plummeted after that. Why did he make a push like this at that time? He was in the middle of pushing the Patriot Act, citizens were grudgingly allowing the searches on planes and Bush goes totally against everything he’s been pushing since 9/11 by advocating and allowing a totally open southern border.
His popularity spiked again when Saddam was caught, but he was seldom above 50% after that speech.

In agreement with a comment on another site…“I DO NOT TRUST THEM! I DON’T CARE WHAT JOHN McCAIN OR ANY OTHER REPUBLICAN SAYS. I DO NOT TRUST THEM ANYMORE.”

But my basic opinion is…I’m not a McCain supporter, but I would rather have a president that our enemies truly feared would go medieval on their ass rather than someone named Hussein who would kiss their ass.
There it is…plain and simple. Let diplomacy evolve from respect or fear. I’ll take either one.

You might, but there’s a funny thing about diplomacy: you’ve got to get the other guy to take the deal too. And too much of the world feels about the US the way the voter you quoted feels about the Republicans. Granted, the rules of the game are different hammering out international agreements, but the sentiment is just as difficult to overcome.
There it is… plain and simple. Nobody’s buying what you’re looking to sell. Time to retool.

I don’t know why you get the idea Obama will kiss anyone’s ass, or why his middle name makes any difference, but do you really believe it will be good for America to elect another leader that the world hates?

[quote=“Lao Tzu”]The best leaders the people barely know.
The next best they love and praise.
The next they fear.
And the next they hate.[/quote]

We’ve had 8 years of being hated by the rest of the world (for good reason). It’s time for a change.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”] . . . I don’t CARE WHAT JOHN McCain OR ANY OTHER REPUBLICAN SAYS. I do NOT TRUST THEM ANYMORE."

I would rather have a president that our enemies truly feared would go medieval on their ass rather than someone named Hussein . . .[/quote]

Praise the Lord! I’m not sure if I’m seeing things but . . . could it be? Have you finally come to your senses? A little late but better late than never. Now let’s get on with what we should have done in the very beginning and go get that bloodthirsty sumbitch, bin Laden, and give him a taste of justice.

I’m so happy I want to cry.

[quote=“spook”]Praise the Lord![/quote]Do Ya feeeeeeel it! Amen Brotha! Send your Love Offerring to PO Box 75 Tainan 701…[quote=“spook”] I’m not sure if I’m seeing things[/quote]This admission does not surprise me[quote=“spook”] but . . . could it be? Have you finally come to your senses?[/quote]Never lost them. You are just finally reading my post instead of making things up to suit your pre-planned quips[quote=“spook”] A little late but better late than never.[/quote]Is that something you say often?[quote=“spook”]Now let’s get on with what we should have done in the very beginning and go get that bloodthirsty sumbitch, bin Laden, and give him a taste of justice.[/quote]It seems that you have forgotten that, from the very start, I have advocated an approach such as this. However, I would offer a taste of thermobaric ordinance.[quote=“spook”]I’m so happy I want to cry.[/quote]Share the love.

You’re right, of course. You figured out a long time ago that the current crop of “Republicans” are a bunch of losers and that Osama bin Laden is and always has been the true enemy and I’ve just been tagging along trying to take credit for your insights. As Dick Cheney would say, “So? Sue me.”

gopondemand.com/

C’mon Spook…tell 'em how you feel.

That piece by Rove was the most cheering thing I’ve seen all day. I certainly hope that Republicans follow his advice to

A) Tie themselves even more tightly to the Iraq War.
B) Promise to deliver even more of Bush’s economic policies, because they’ve proved so popular up to now.

Meanwhile , Republican Presidential candidate to Republicans running for Congress- “Get the fuck away from me.”

[quote]Republicans had sought to link Mr. Childers to Mr. Obama in an advertising campaign there. Republican leaders said they were looking to Senator John McCain of Arizona, the likely Republican nominee, as a model whose independent reputation appears to allow him to rise above party in a year when the Republican label seems tarnished.

But Mr. McCain’s advisers said the Mississippi race underlined his intention to distance himself as much as possible from Congressional Republicans. Mr. McCain has already been openly critical of some of President Bush’s strategies.[/quote]

nytimes.com/2008/05/15/us/po … epubs.html?