2010 Trade Pioneers Employment Meetings-April 12

A friend asked me to post the following for those looking to move out of the teaching field.

[quote]If you are interested in a career in the field of international business/trade and would like to work for a Taiwanese exporting company, then here’s your chance.

Join the 2010 Trade Pioneers Employment Meetings on April 12th at the Taiwan International Convention Center (TICC) and meet with some of Taiwan’s most dynamic export-oriented enterprises for a possible career in international business.

Event: 2010 Trade Pioneers Employment Meetings (free entrance)
Date: April 12th 2010 (14:00 ~17:30)
Venue: RM#201, Taiwan International Convention Center (TICC)
1 Hsin-Yi Rd., Sec.5,Taipei (台北市信義路五段1號)
Tel: 886-2-2725-5200 ext. 3051-52

We welcome those who are familiar with their home country’s market environment, are able to speak English or Mandarin, and have basic knowledge of Taiwan. All senior college students and senior post-graduate students from the following countries are encouraged to apply: Russia, Brazil, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Poland, Iran, Argentina, Hungary, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Slovakia, Belarus, Indonesia, India, United Arabic Emirates, Egypt and Vietnam.

Please register before April 2nd, 2010, online at match.stss.com.tw and request for a meeting(s) with the participating companies listed therein. Please be reminded of your scheduled appointment(s).

Good Luck and See You on April 12th !

This program is administered by the Taiwan External Trade Development Council (TAITRA), the foremost nonprofit trade promotion organization in Taiwan, and is supported by the Bureau of Foreign Trade and the Ministry of Education. The Emerging Markets Trade Pioneers Meetings is designed to assist Taiwanese companies in recruiting foreign sales representatives for their business undertakings in different overseas markets.

For further information, please contact Brígida Cheng (ext.1556) or Mr. Lee (ext.1570) at 886-2-2725-5200.[/quote]

So, any more details would be appreciated

and also the “preferred countries” list qualified, are UK/EU/US applicants also encouraged?

[quote=“itakitez”]So, any more details would be appreciated[/quote]There is a contact phone number, but what other details do you need to know?

[quote=“itakitez”]Are UK/EU/US applicants also encouraged?[/quote]Everyone from any country is encouraged to attend not just the countries listed. I think the issue is that they see these countries as growth opportunities whereas the EU and US are already properly represented.

Thanks for this! I was almost afraid I might have to start teaching English.

So far 85 companies have joined and they are interviewing from a pool of 90 candidates so far. I’m sure both numbers will go up.

FYI:
Due to the Taiwan’s labor laws and possible bad press from hiring foreigners, TAITRA and the companies involved are seeking candidates that want to live and work in their countries, with some exceptions. If you’re married with a JFRV, you’re golden.

[quote=“Okami”]So far 85 companies have joined and they are interviewing from a pool of 90 candidates so far. I’m sure both numbers will go up.

FYI:
Due to the Taiwan’s labor laws and possible bad press from hiring foreigners, TAITRA and the companies involved are seeking candidates that want to live and work in their countries, with some exceptions. If you’re married with a JFRV, you’re golden.[/quote]

bad press! very funny. anyway, it seems that you are well informed so could please tell me if you have any idea how they want to hire people to work in their countries? I think most of the companies do not have a physical presence in the targeted markets, so is it like working from home or they are hiring people to work on commission? it will be very appreciated if you can get us the answer.

cheers

[quote=“Flying Falcon”]bad press! very funny. [/quote]Unfortunately bad press could easily kill something like this and get a few people demoted or fired if it turned out badly. We all know how accurate the Taiwanese media are. :unamused:

[quote=“Flying Falcon”]anyway, it seems that you are well informed so could please tell me if you have any idea how they want to hire people to work in their countries? I think most of the companies do not have a physical presence in the targeted markets, so is it like working from home or they are hiring people to work on commission? it will be very appreciated if you can get us the answer.[/quote]It would depend on the company and what it wants. They are focusing more on the developing market because they lack the language and cultural skills to sell there presently. Depending on the applicant it may or may not be easy for them to hire them. I really don’t know. I would think that the interview would clarify this for you.

Good luck with it.

Thank you Okami, I will go there and will post my experiance here.
Regarding their press, I think that they will not have anything against this event because there are very very very very few taiwanese who can speak Hindi or arabic or even know the culture of those people. expanding the market for taiwanese companies will mean more employment for taiwanese and millions of us dollars in tax revenue and exports. those markets are really big and taiwanese companies do not have strong presence.

Hi !

Very interesting!

Unfortunatly I just saw this message on Forumosa. Will they do the same event next year (in 2011) ?

Thanks for any information.

Louis.

[quote=“ljulienne”]Hi !

Very interesting!

Unfortunatly I just saw this message on Forumosa. Will they do the same event next year (in 2011) ?

Thanks for any information.

Louis.[/quote]

Why dont you call or register anyways?

They would not appear to have closed down registration yet.

They have actually been doing this every 3-6 months for the last year. This is the 3rd one that I know of. I would advise you to register now and get started and that way they will let you know when the next one is too and you may get some interest from a few companies with this one.

I tired to register but without success. When clicking on “Next step” it doesn’t bring me anywhere. Shame on me !

[quote=“ljulienne”]I tired to register but without success. When clicking on “Next step” it doesn’t bring me anywhere. Shame on me ![/quote]Call them and ask for help.

My experience with that:
Last year October the same was organized by the Taitra. I applied, I sent my application form, got the answer, they forwarded that to companies, but the meeting is normally only for people who come from countries mentioned in the beginners posting.
Following email was sent to me [quote]Thank you for your participation.
We will forward your information to our registered companies ASAP.
When all the trade meeting sessions are booked,
We will also inform you the final result of the sessions you will need to attend[/quote]
Needless to say that I never received any feedback.

Has anyone attended this in the past? I’m not from one of the countries mentioned and I tried to arrange some appointments with companies but none of them replied. I’m thinking about attending anyway but I’ll have to find someone to sub for my classes. Just wondering if it’s worth the effort or if I’ll just be standing around twiddling my thumbs if I go.

[quote=“Flying Falcon”]Thank you Okami, I will go there and will post my experiance here.
Regarding their press, I think that they will not have anything against this event because there are very very very very few taiwanese who can speak Hindi or arabic or even know the culture of those people. expanding the market for taiwanese companies will mean more employment for taiwanese and millions of us dollars in tax revenue and exports. those markets are really big and taiwanese companies do not have strong presence.[/quote]

Yes and there are lots of companies in Taiwan who should be interested to hire said speakers…good luck! You can also randomly search on 104 and post your resume to their HR departments.

I hope that this copy of the email which I recieved on the 9th of April from TAITRA will clear how they work:

[color=#0000FF]The following is a list of reminders for your reference.

1.Please make sure to attend the meetings on April 12 at the Taipei International Convention Center (TICC) and register at the “Candidate registry” counter with this NOTIFICATION LETTER by the Conference room 201 before your meetings.
2. After registering, you will be led to the “Waiting Area.” Please follow the instructions of our staff.
3.Beside your pre-registered appointments, you may still have the opportunities to meet other companies if their pre-registered candidates do not show up.
4.We suggest that you bring extra copies of your resume.

Once again, thank you for your participation. We wish you a fruitful day and a bright future.

Best regards,

Market Development Department,
Taiwan External Trade Development Council, TAITRA[/color]

in another word, I think they mean that the chance to get an extra appointment is really very slim as no one will miss there appointments (unless they are forced to). anyway I have only one appointment (the company asked me for it) although I tried with more than 12 but no respond.

i wish you all the luck if you go.

Thanks for the info flying falcon. Let us know how it goes if you don’t mind.

The meeting started with attendance regestration and every person got a name tag with their country flag on it (I did not have any flag because my country was not on the companies’ required list) and a small paper with my meetings schedual. I forgot to say that I got an email on the 9th with my meetings, as for my surprise i got two mean while until the last minute I had one (as I mentioned with previous reply) but on the meeting day my schedual had one and when I asked about the reason they reply " this is your final schedual" i called the company and after 10 minutes (her english is not good at all) she said we are not intersted in foriegners??? anyway i head into the meeting room (it was huge by the way) and there were over 80 desk (around 10-15 companies did not attend or perhaps they changed their mind). there were two white boards where names of countries were written and infront of them the desk’s number for those company that are intersted in that country’s market. ofcourse there were over 150 people (mostly from south american countries, russia, poland,vietnam and indonesia) accourding to the white board “spanish language [color=#FF00FF]very need[/color]”. now how things worked was in this way: every person has a timetable with his or her meetings which have to attended, after that or between the meetings if you see any company that is intersted in your country or at least in your language (using the numbers on the white board) and they have nobody then you can approach them and check if you can exchange informations. also, the staff were calling on names of countries, poeple, languages for those companies in need. I met with 11 companies but 9 of them wanted poeple to work as agents in their home country, one asked for part time and one for full time. the funny thing that the company which I am suppose to meet send people who can not speak english and only speak chinese so I just gave them my cv and left. from my experience and what I heard from people who I met there the majorety want agents in their home countries and those agents has to do the donkey work in order to get a commission (there is no salary). Full time job payment range as I heard from the people that I chat with them were in between 28000-35000 Nt dollars per month.
now I think that it was a good experience and got some information about different products and I think I can start doing some kind of business :laughing:

by the way,they ooffered free drinks suchas coffe and tea, and the supporting stuff were very very helpfull and kept smiling all the time, really they made the event good.
I know that you got bored but I wanted to say everything with some details.

Thanks I will pass that on when another one is scheduled in the future.

I hope you find something.