2013 Costco thread

[color=#0000FF]2012 thread here: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 8&t=106226[/color]

I remember seeing several brands of Omega 3 but all fish based. I was thinking about looking for some flax seed stuff, too. I’ll try to go this week, better start Chinese New Year preparations as early as possible.

Cottonfields organic shops now carry Chia seeds which are a much better non-fish based source of omega-3 than flax.

Btw, a great source of omega-3 is salmon and all Costco carry Alaskan pink and red canned salmon. This is a sustainable fishing industry and the smaller fast growing pink salmon is very healthy and low in mercury or dioxins.

I make a paste with pink salmon and feta cheese, spread it on bread that is lightly brushed with olive oil, and lightly grill it on the stove. Yum. :lick:

Oh, I am looking for non fish omega since my allergy sprung up. BTW, can I interest you in 100 multivitamin packs with omega fish??

Thanks but I just stocked up on fish oil recently. But did you not read what I wrote about Chia? That’s a plant.

To djm409> OK, they do have flax seed oil stuff at Costco as an alternative source of Omegas.
MM, I’ll look for the chia stuff at the organic store, the Costco flax oil container looks like a keg. :astonished:

I also saw Hood Lactose free milk, I think someone was looking for it?

No sour cream, though. :cry: No Lindor chocolates. :cry: :cry:

Does costco charge a restocking fee? I thought they didn’t, but my friend just told me he did not receive a full refund when he recently returned some water filters (still brand new) the day after purchasing them.

Icon, thanks for finding out that information. I’ll pass it along to my friend.

Nali, nali - no hay por donde.

For those of you daring enough, behold Costco’s New Year schedule:

It just occurred to me why Costco might have been so busy today - getting close to CNY. Maybe CNY day is a great time for laowais to pack into the place. We can have it to ourselves for once :slight_smile: Well, maybe. Or is my thinking completely off and it will be elbow to elbow that day? :ponder: What happened to the liter bottles of grant’s scotch they had (in Zhonghe)? Grant’s isn’t the best scotch mind you, but for $445/L it was a steal. Looks like my gf’s grandmother will have to drink bourbon instead for the holidays, much to her chagrin

just don’t go New Year’s Eve. I guarantee from personal experience it won’t be pleasant.

One time I went just before the dragon boat festival. It was difficult getting around even without a cart

I am wondering f I go there tonite at 8 ish it might not be as bad. Or tomorrow as soon as they open… but I can’t bet on it. Yet I’d like to avoid the Big Crowds.

Well it was good while it lasted, but no more Fage 0% Fat greek Yogurt in Neihu as of yesterday. I wonder if anyone has seen it elsewhere in the Taipei area?

There were 3 rows of 0% Yogurt as of this morning in Neihu’s Costco. Maybe then like 12 tubs? So hurry.

They also had the same yogurt in a smaller size with several fruit flavors, guanabana -soursop- among them. :lick: However, at 800nts… sigh

And most probably as I type, the sour cream will be gone again… A few tubs were left this morning, too.

BTW, does anyone feel the cheese selection is shinking? :frowning:

If you don’t find the cheese product you’re looking for, they’re probably waiting on a new shipment.

By the way is there a current Costco catalog anywhere? It would be really helpful to plan shopping trips because I bike to Costco and I can only take limited items…

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“igorveni”]
BTW, does anyone feel the cheese selection is shrinking? :frowning:[/quote][/quote]
Icon…It’s the heat. :slight_smile: Actually there are a few things that shrink in the cold,now I think about it :unamused:

Seem to be living on the “Bakes” from Costco at the moment. Have you noticed that the Frozen Lasagnes etc, from Costco,require an expert team of Nuclear Technicians to open these days? Or is it me? The cellophane covers are almost indestructible and superglued on !. :rant:

[quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”]If you don’t find the cheese product you’re looking for, they’re probably waiting on a new shipment.

By the way is there a current Costco catalog anywhere? It would be really helpful to plan shopping trips because I bike to Costco and I can only take limited items…[/quote]

Not a cataloge per se but there is a Costco TW app I am fond of, reminds you of sales.

I think someone should do a cost advantage of costco vs. supermarkets or traditional markets… like I want to know why would anyone buy eggs at costco when they cost like twice as much as everywhere else?

Cheese, pasta, broccoli, nuts, and a number of other things are cheaper at Costco, and of good quality. You also have to compare like quality or desired attributes, not just price, e.g. are the eggs organic or free-range? Are the nuts from China, grown in soil full of heavy metals, or are they from California? How does the pasta cook up? The Wellcome pasta I’ve had sucked, in comparison. Costco has unsalted nuts, for those who prefer to roast and salt their own, or have them unsalted. OTOH, the choc chips at both supermarkets and Costco are the typical low-end (but name brand), sugar-laden junk.

If you’re interested in a particular item, ask, but nobody’s likely to do a comprehensive assessment for you. :wink: