2014 Costco Thread

Maybe this has something to do with the PB shortage? :lick:

Can anyone tell me the name of the big orange cheese blocks (500grams) that are at Costco? They are behind the glass doors in huge stacks. I think they have mild cheddar, sharp cheddar etc.

I don’t want the Coastal- Rugged Mature Cheddar blocks which are white and come from England. I still have some of that.

A local friend is going to Costco tomorrow, and I want to have a better description to give him.

KIrkland brand IIRC, mild and sharp, yes.

Maybe this has something to do with the PB shortage? :lick:[/quote]

Interesting! Thanks.

[quote=“zender”]Can anyone tell me the name of the big orange cheese blocks (500grams) that are at Costco? They are behind the glass doors in huge stacks. I think they have mild cheddar, sharp cheddar etc.

I don’t want the Coastal- Rugged Mature Cheddar blocks which are white and come from England. I still have some of that.

A local friend is going to Costco tomorrow, and I want to have a better description to give him.[/quote]

There is Tillimook brand cheese. It comes in those huge bricks. The different color wrappers are orange, red, and black for the extra sharp cheddar.

The Tillamook looks like this: thenibble.com/reviews/main/s … -ig230.jpg
The Kirkland looks like this. addictedtocostco.com/wp-content/ … g_6280.jpg
In Neihu the Tillamook tends to be with the variety of other cheeses on the open shelves, and the Kirkland is behind the glass doors near the butter and shredded cheeses.

Has anyone ever seen Clif Bars at Costco here?

Ha, searched! This is from 2010. Are they still in store?

Costco usually has boxes of 24 Clif Bars, 3 flavors (not the best, not the worst).[/quote]

I’ve never noticed them there, but I’m not in Costco very often.

iHerb has them, $16.64 for a dozen, plus surprisingly low shipping fees ($8 for 8 pounds or less, with the Clif bars coming in at 2.3 pounds, so you’d probably want to order something else - or several boxes). That’s yet another thing I no longer will be carrying back in my suitcase from Canada every summer.

Ah, never thought to check. Tell me, what doesn’t iHerb have?
They discount for 4 / 12 boxes as well, but unfortunately you can’t mix and match the flavours and still get the discount.

The pepperoni pizza is so good!! :notworthy: Now if they can start selling brisket sandwiches like I heard they are in the states

White chocolate chips. And sour cream.

White chocolate chips. And sour cream.[/quote]

But the organic white chocolate is superb. :lick:

Talking about sour cream, something weird happened. It had been opened a week and I noticed a very small, dusty, fuzzy mold growing under the upper lid. Yuck, out in the garbage it goes. Then I realized the cheese -Costco cheese- had the same problem -brought also at the same time. Out, too. Is it my fridge or is it Costco?

White chocolate chips. And sour cream.[/quote]
But the organic white chocolate is superb. :lick: [/quote]
Yeah, I actually just deleted that from my most recent order. It looks fantastic, and for a while I’d persuaded myself that I was only going to use it for baking (I’m assuming I can just chop it up and use it as a replacement for white chocolate chips), but then I realized what I’d do. I’d just eat it. All of it. Even if I found previously unknown reservoirs of determination and willpower, I’d at best “ration” myself to 2-3 bars a day. Best avoid that temptation.

What was the expiry date? That does happen with sour cream - for that matter it usually seems to happen to me with sour cream, since I’ll often use a cup or two for baking, maybe a few spoonfuls here and there for Mexican dishes, and then not open it again for a while.

I normally what I call a line -the 3 cube pieces that form the horizontal lines in the bar- after lunch when I feel like it and that’s all. I do have enough self control… and I like to prolong the pleasure. :howyoudoin: A box is coming next week…

The expiration date was like mid or end of April, it still had a good month or so. What I found strange was that the cheese was somehow contaminated, even though I put it in a plastic container after opening. So that is why I was guessing Costco transport problems or some other source of contamination.

What kind of cheese was it? WIth bricks of cheese, you should only remove the wrapper at one end, not the whole thing, and then peel it back only as far as needed to take what you want. Cover the cut surface with clean cling film, and then seal that in a freezer-weight Ziplock with a dessicant pack tossed in and the extra air extruded. Harder cheeses like parmesan and romano last longer. Firm cheeses like cheddar will still mold. Soft cheeses like cream cheese mold quite easily. The pre-shredded ones at Costco have an anti-molding agent added, btw (which is actually why I don’t use them).

If the cut surface develops mold, slice it off with a clean knife, and cover it with NEW cling film and put it in a NEW ziplock. Don’t toss the whole brick.

You can also shred the remaining cheese and freeze it in portions in ziplocks – still good for au gratin, although not quite as good as fresh for straight eating.

Precut, sliced one. Of the flavored ones. In a sealed plastic box. Never happened before.

Triple ply on sale now, folks.

BTW, got more cheese and sour cream -also on sale. let’s see how they fare. Otherwise, the Customer Service will get an earful.

It’s normal for dairy products to go mouldy under certain conditions.
So keep that in mind.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]It’s normal for dairy products to go mouldy under certain conditions.
So keep that in mind.[/quote]

Yep, just that the inside of the fridge I did not expect to fulfill those conditions!

As said, the thing was just opened -less than a week- and had a good month before expiration date. Where and how it caught the mold? Beats me.

Sour cream is 47 NT for a 3 pound tub at the Neihu Costco right now.

The only catch is you have to finish it before it expires on April 21st. I know I won’t have any trouble :slight_smile: