2014 Costco Thread

[quote=“backpacker24”]Sour cream is 47 NT for a 3 pound tub at the Neihu Costco right now.

The only catch is you have to finish it before it expires on April 21st. I know I won’t have any trouble :slight_smile:[/quote]

Already 1/4 in. :smiley:

Anyone know what has happened to the water availability?

The Canadian brand Aberfoyle hasn’t been available in about 1 month. And now the Kirkland water is almost dry.

Bad itinerary logistics planning or they aren’t going to sell it anymore?

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“headhonchoII”]It’s normal for dairy products to go mouldy under certain conditions.
So keep that in mind.[/quote]

Yep, just that the inside of the fridge I did not expect to fulfill those conditions!

As said, the thing was just opened -less than a week- and had a good month before expiration date. Where and how it caught the mold? Beats me.[/quote]

There’s a difference between the sell by date and how long it will last once opened. I don’t know why but Taiwan has special mold spores. Food doesn’t seem to last as long here.

This shows that sour cream will only last 1-3 weeks after the opened date. fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/ … ion-dates/

I assure you, my dear sir, that the sour cream doe snot last beyond 3 weeks in my fridge!

Are there any rumors about Costco opening in Yilan? :confused:

And it can go bad as soon as 1 week from opening. I also think that Taiwan (any tropical climate) has special mold bacteria that makes things worse than normal.

And it can go bad as soon as 1 week from opening. I also think that Taiwan (any tropical climate) has special mold bacteria that makes things worse than normal.[/quote]

Ok, Ok, I’ll do my best to finish a gallon of sour cream in one week. Challenge accepted.

Alternatively you can store it in the freezer, but that’s less funny :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Icon”]

Ok, Ok, I’ll do my best to finish a gallon of sour cream in one week. Challenge accepted.[/quote]

That’s the problem with Costco. It should last longer but this kind of stuff doesn’t really surprise me.

Freezing is a good option (I think). I plan my entire trip to costco based on what will fit in my freezer but I buy a lot of meat.

Guys, in all seriousness, I do not think sour cream can survive being frozen.

Freezer -> fridge -> salad (or wherever you put it).

TBH I don’t think I even tried that cream, but it should be OK to freeze it up. It might affect the texture, but at least it won`t look like a small greenforest.

It depends what you’re doing with it - if you’re putting a spoonful of sour cream on a burrito or something, then no, freezing isn’t a good idea, because it’ll mess up the texture. But if you’re using it as an ingredient when cooking, then you can freeze it. (Same thing for Ricotta cheese.)

And it can go bad as soon as 1 week from opening. I also think that Taiwan (any tropical climate) has special mold bacteria that makes things worse than normal.[/quote]

Probably the humidity. Stuff goes mouldy in Ireland faster than here. They pump a lot of preservatives into most dairy stuff here and the bread rarely goes mouldy?!?

It depends what you’re doing with it - if you’re putting a spoonful of sour cream on a burrito or something, then no, freezing isn’t a good idea, because it’ll mess up the texture. But if you’re using it as an ingredient when cooking, then you can freeze it. (Same thing for Ricotta cheese.)[/quote]

I am slapping a thick layer on my bread. Would do burrito if I had proper corn tortillas.

[quote=“lostinasia”]
It depends what you’re doing with it - if you’re putting a spoonful of sour cream on a burrito or something, then no, freezing isn’t a good idea, because it’ll mess up the texture. But if you’re using it as an ingredient when cooking, then you can freeze it. (Same thing for Ricotta cheese.)[/quote]

And cream cheese.

i’ve had sour cream in the fridge for three months. turns a bit pink but i can scrap it off and still use it. i end up cooking it as a topping for a cake. so i don’t know if eating it plain would make me sick but so far so problems

I am slapping a thick layer on my bread. Would do burrito if I had proper corn tortillas.[/quote]

Have you ever tried this place? (I haven’t)

bread.com.tw/en/shop/tortilla/corn-tortilla

They’ve been around for years, they were practically the only decent bakery around back then. Always been good, I will definitely stop by to pick some up.

Central American tortillas are soft, not rock hard. Can’t be used for Frisbees not darts. Hence, Florida Bakery’s can’t be used for my evil purposes.

That said, Florida Bakery was the only place you could find wet masa for making your own tortillas or tamalas. Alas, I have been told that is not the same anymore. And no, that which appears there as masa -plain cornflour- is not my definition of masa. You see, there are many kinds of masa, the one you use to make arepas are a bit different from the ones to make ayacas. For a country with so much corn… ayayayayaay

And since we were complaining about sour cream, it is gone, GONE ! from Costco Neihu. The horror. the horror…

Oh, they’re… hard?