2014 Costco Thread

Crispy.

sigh

I have a tortilla press. Traditional wood carved one -heck if I can bring over a proper iron one. But DIY is the only way to go -two plates will do fine, too. With Dragonbones, we were planning to do masa ourselves. There is this Chilean lady selling empanadas which ar delicious BTW but for me it is give me corn “empanadas” or give me… nothing.

It depends what you’re doing with it - if you’re putting a spoonful of sour cream on a burrito or something, then no, freezing isn’t a good idea, because it’ll mess up the texture. But if you’re using it as an ingredient when cooking, then you can freeze it. (Same thing for Ricotta cheese.)[/quote]

I am slapping a thick layer on my bread. Would do burrito if I had proper corn tortillas.[/quote]

Have you ever tried this place? (I haven’t)

bread.com.tw/en/shop/tortilla/corn-tortilla[/quote]

Get ready for a little rant. :eh:

Florida Bakery has been good to me for so many years. My standard breads have been their walnut, their raisin, and their whole wheat. The problem is they are no longer slicing it like they used to. The loaf is the same size, but what was sliced into 9 pieces in the past, is now being sliced into 5 pieces.

:unamused: “So what, zender? What’s the big deal? It’s the same great bread, zender. Be happy for what you get. Mustn’t grumble, eh? Lotta people worse off than you, zender. Count your blessings! We’re in Taiwan. You oughtta be happy to have bread like that, zender.”

Do you know what a toaster is? :bluemad: Do you know what toast is? :noway: No, :no-no: that is bread. Put that bread in a toaster (if you can), and when it comes up . . . THEN it will be toast. Only . . . ya know, toasters usually have slots that are about this wide. That’s why they usually slice bread this thick. Ya see, if ya slice a loaf into five pieces, they won’t fit into a normal toaster unless you stand on it or press it together, and that’s less than ideal, ya understand? :ohreally: So, I really appreciated it, when for decades, Florida Bakery sliced their bread like normal people. :bravo: And I’ve told them about the problem three times so far, but they just gimme these “paises” :blush: and go on cuttin’ it thick.

And ya know what some other people do with bread? :ponder: They make sandwiches with it. :discodance: It’s a great idea. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: They tell me some British Earl thought up the idea. And when I say, “they”, I mean “the British.” I’m not sayin’ I blame them for boastin’. It was a great idea; puttin’ somethin’ between two slices of bread. But what if you have five slices of bread? That’s not an ideal number if you’re makin’ sandwiches, is it?! :fume: It’s not an even number :noway: ; it’s odd! :raspberry: And that’s a problem! :bluemad: But you say, :eh: “zender, you could make a sandwich with three slices of bread.” And I say, “I could :fume: , . . . but when each slice is so darn thick, I would then have to resort to even more forceful methods (than standing on the sandwich) to fit it into my normal-sized mouth.”

So, Florida Bakery, pretty please, with sugar on top, stop cutting your loaves into 5 thick slices. :pray: I suggest 8 slices :discodance: , but if you go back to 9, like it was for years, I’ll be happy once again. :smiley:

You could just get a bread knife and make 10 slices. :popcorn:

Thank you, abacus! :bravo:

I’d never have thought of that, but it just might work!

And if I slice them thin enough, I could get 20 slices! I’d have twice as much (many?) toast! :discodance:

Why was I putting such a negative spin on this? :ponder:

I’m usually very optimistic and open to change. Thanks again for turnin’ me around! :notworthy:

I was saddened to find out that the cooked turkey is gone. In its place, locally made so called chicken “ham”, in which some ingredients include gum and collagen.

Back in the ol country, we have amazing chicken ham -literally, cooked and spiced chicken breasts, awesome for sandwiches and chicken sausages, also light, fluffy and juicy. I can assure you, that is not the case with this new item, which I tried and went icky.

Gone for good? or gone until the next shipment arrives??

Gone for good? or gone until the next shipment arrives??[/quote]
Sour cream disappeared from the Tianmu City Super for a few weeks, but now it’s back. These things just come and go, at variable frequencies - I assume it’ll be the same for sour cream at Costco.

Well, just left Neihu Costco and can confirm they’re still out of sour cream.

Could anyone let me know if Costo has packs of Mascarpone cheese and the price?
I’m looking for the plain white cheese, in local supermarkets I can only find it in small packages and we don’t have Costco in Yilan, yet.

I believe I’ve regularly seen Mascarpone but not ricotta. Wait for confirmation from others, though.

[quote=“Ibis2k12”]Could anyone let me know if Costo has packs of Mascarpone cheese and the price?
I’m looking for the plain white cheese, in local supermarkets I can only find it in small packages and we don’t have Costco in Yilan, yet.[/quote]

try pnpfoods. they have a large selection of cheeses. their website has spreadsheets of what they carry.

pnpfood.com/

i’ve never bought from them so i don’t know the quantity but i think you just go into the store and.give them a list of the items you want. not sure if you need to preorrder

Thanx! I’ve checked their XML file and they do have mascarpone! No mention of the price, though xD I’ll ask a friend in Taipei to check that out for me, thanx for the info!

Icon, backpacker24…Wife had gone to the Neihu Costco today and confirmed sour cream is back. Don’t know how long it will last though as she said it was being picked up fast!!

Roger that. Say thanks to your wife, please.

Icon, don’t buy shit. Make those things at home! :smiley:

The only thing I may do

Done…said thanks to the lady of the house on your behalf and got a nice hug and kiss!!!

Icon, backpacker24…Wife had gone to the Neihu Costco today and confirmed sour cream is back. Don’t know how long it will last though as she said it was being picked up fast!![/quote]

went yesterday. only saw 10 tubs of sour cream. also.noticed that they doubled the price.