2016 Costco Thread

Dr. Pepper is now in Costco for NT 469 for a case of 24 cans.

They have crappy small thin skinned Aussie potatoes now rather than the American baking potatoes they used to have.

The hot turkey sandwich is off the menu at Chiayi Costco :frowning:

At every Costco :frowning:

Costco Neihu has organic chicken stock; Xizhi does not. Neither has had tinned tomatoes (small tins) for a while. Ugh.

I need the help of you, Mighty Foreign Sausages of the Skydragon City.

One of my coworkers will go to Costco in Taipei later this month, and he asked if thereā€™s anything that Iā€™d like to get from there. Iā€™ve not been in Costco for 2 years, so Iā€™m a bit rusty about their stock.
Things that I miss are:

a) Blue Cheese / Gorgonzola (they had it few months ago, so I guess it should still be there)
b) Real German Sausages
c) Greek Yoghurt

Is this stuff available at all/most Costco stores iN Taipei? If so, could anyone be so kind to take a picture with the phone and send it to me/link it here, so that I can give them to my coworkers and make his life easier?

[quote=ā€œIbis2k12ā€]I need the help of you, Mighty Foreign Sausages of the Skydragon City.

One of my coworkers will go to Costco in Taipei later this month, and he asked if thereā€™s anything that Iā€™d like to get from there. Iā€™ve not been in Costco for 2 years, so Iā€™m a bit rusty about their stock.
Things that I miss are:

a) Blue Cheese / Gorgonzola (they had it few months ago, so I guess it should still be there)
b) Real German Sausages
c) Greek Yoghurt

Is this stuff available at all/most Costco stores iN Taipei? If so, could anyone be so kind to take a picture with the phone and send it to me/link it here, so that I can give them to my coworkers and make his life easier?[/quote]

Iā€™ve definitely seen FAGE brand Greek yogurt at Costco in Neihu before. Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™ve also seen blue cheese. Real German sausages, on the other hand, Iā€™ve never seen at Costco or anywhere in Taiwan for that matter.

I really miss properly-made sausages and hot dogs ;_;

Luckily, there are alternatives. For those of you who can eat sausages and assorted cured meats -disclaimer: these have too been taken away by Iconā€™s doctors- there are several entrepreneurial foreigners painstakingly making each sausage by hand. We also have organic alternatives. A separate thread should be coming, if it is not in existence already.

For German sausages, try Omaā€™s in Xinhai road. Imported.

That said, the so called ā€œsausagesā€ or pork by products sold in slices -that do not deserve the title of ham- you find in Costco are exclusively fro Fulong. Biting into them does transport you to a polluted beach, with floating plastic bags and assorted detritus of humankind, including the occasional sausage like brown floater. For Gordon Ramsayā€™s sake, do not buy what looks like pastrami. I repeat: do not!

Donā€™t worry, I donā€™t consider that stuff to be worthy of carrying the name ā€œhamā€ !

Luckily, there are alternatives. For those of you who can eat sausages and assorted cured meats -disclaimer: these have too been taken away by Iconā€™s doctors- there are several entrepreneurial foreigners painstakingly making each sausage by hand. We also have organic alternatives. A separate thread should be coming, if it is not in existence already.[/quote]

Hereā€™s a sausages thread (not the double entendre one that got some traffic recently).

Iā€™ve been enjoying Churchillā€™s Sausages far too much. I suspect I didnā€™t really need to make fried eggs and baked beans and sausages a meal I have in normal rotation. Theyā€™re available in the freezers at Jasonā€™s and City Super, so Iā€™m not sure if you can get them out in Ilan. I have no idea how close they are to real German sausages, mind you.

Iā€™m afraid we donā€™t have either here :frowning:

[quote=ā€œIbis2k12ā€]a) Blue Cheese / Gorgonzola (they had it few months ago, so I guess it should still be there)
b) Real German Sausages
c) Greek Yoghurt
[/quote]

Dunno
No, but try the other sausage providers. Even Tianmu Butcher is safer on this than Costco.
Dunno but Jasonā€™s has it. Cheap to make at home, though.

[quote=ā€œDragonbonesā€][quote=ā€œIbis2k12ā€]a) Blue Cheese / Gorgonzola (they had it few months ago, so I guess it should still be there)
b) Real German Sausages
c) Greek Yoghurt
[/quote]

Dunno
No, but try the other sausage providers. Even Tianmu Butcher is safer on this than Costco.
Dunno but Jasonā€™s has it. Cheap to make at home, though.[/quote]

But where do you get the casings from if you make them at home?

[quote=ā€œbackpacker24ā€][quote=ā€œDragonbonesā€][quote=ā€œIbis2k12ā€]a) Blue Cheese / Gorgonzola (they had it few months ago, so I guess it should still be there)
b) Real German Sausages
c) Greek Yoghurt
[/quote]
Dunno
But where do you get the casings from if you make them at home?[/quote]
I took it as an a, b, c response: a) for cheese, dunno; b) for sausages, try other places; c) for yogurt, itā€™s cheap to make at home.

Costco has Kirkland brand USA made 2 tub size boxes of greek yogurt, Hsinchu store anyway.

[quote=ā€œlostinasiaā€][quote=ā€œbackpacker24ā€][quote=ā€œDragonbonesā€][quote=ā€œIbis2k12ā€]a) Blue Cheese / Gorgonzola (they had it few months ago, so I guess it should still be there)
b) Real German Sausages
c) Greek Yoghurt
[/quote]
Dunno
I took it as an a, b, c response: a) for cheese, dunno; b) for sausages, try other places; c) for yogurt, itā€™s cheap to make at home.[/quote]

Yes, that was the intent. I personally donā€™t cook with sausages much in their link-shaped form (I use them as an ingredient, e.g. as coins or minced), so casings arenā€™t an issue for me when I make homemade, which is generally the case (no pun intended); as far as flavorings go, thereā€™s really no reason IMO not to make my own German, Spanish or Mexican sausages, and hanging them to dry in a fridge is easy peasy, as is smoking e.g. under an overturned wok. Usually I make fresh sausage, though, as Iā€™m too busy with a 1-y.o. and 4-y.o. underfoot. For casings, ask local sausage makers. I got a box of artificial casings for free once by asking a supplier at a WTC trade show if I could buy a small amount, and since they didnā€™t sell small amounts, the lady nicely offered to mail me a ā€˜sampleā€™, which Iā€™ve never used and might locate some day in my amazingly well-stocked hobbit hole, before I dodder off into senility.

[quote=ā€œlostinasiaā€][quote=ā€œbackpacker24ā€][quote=ā€œDragonbonesā€][quote=ā€œIbis2k12ā€]a) Blue Cheese / Gorgonzola (they had it few months ago, so I guess it should still be there)
b) Real German Sausages
c) Greek Yoghurt
[/quote]
Dunno
I took it as an a, b, c response: a) for cheese, dunno; b) for sausages, try other places; c) for yogurt, itā€™s cheap to make at home.[/quote]

Hah, I meanā€™t the sausages, but thanks for the other 2, though Iā€™m not sure why youā€™d need casings for yogurt.

[quote=ā€œIbis2k12ā€]I need the help of you, Mighty Foreign Sausages of the Skydragon City.

Things that I miss are:

b) Real German Sausages
c) Greek Yoghurt

Is this stuff available at all/most Costco stores iN Taipei? If so, could anyone be so kind to take a picture with the phone and send it to me/link it here, so that I can give them to my coworkers and make his life easier?[/quote]

Just went to Neihu Costco a couple days ago, hereā€™s a picture of the Greek yogurt:

I didnā€™t see any blue cheese (and definitely no real German sausages)

On another note, theyā€™ve doubled the price of sour cream!!! :fume: :fume: :fume:

Maybe they figured out there is a small segment of foreigners in Taipei that will pay whatever they charge for it. Or it could be the Taiwan Dollar going down driving the cost of imported goods up.