2019 Taipei World Coffee Championships 15-18 Nov

2 Likes

Is this World Championship a real thing or more like the International Pineapple Cake Competition in Nantou or the Yilan Global Beef Noodle Awards?

2 Likes

Maybe more like that “Gold Medal” Taiwan Beer won.

It seems to be a roasting championship exclusively?

Looks like one Taiwanese competitor at least:

http://www.worldcoffeeroasting.org

I think it’s as legit as these industry things get, the body running it a subsidiary of the SCA.

I also think a sour, mouth puckering, lemony coffee is going to win it, if people from the SCA have anything to do with judging it that is. As that is the current trend with the bearded, tattoo sleeved hipsters operating these roasters.

I saw something on the wall of a coffee shop about a SCA award, seems important but not to me.

Do you mean in terms of the shop or the coffee?
I love coffee, although I can’t get into caring so much about roasting beans etc. I drink it to stimulate my noggin.

Must be important to the shop, since it’s posted on the wall. For me it’s the coffee, the people/barista, then how the shop looks, the paper on the wall is low on my list. Is that important to you?

1 Like

For me the coffee is number one, followed, somewhat embarrassingly by the price at number two. The temperature of the drink is important too. I found a lovely looking middle Eastern/ Levantian place near Paddington Station the other day (https://www.mihbaj.co.uk/) as the trains were typically delayed, got myself all excited only to be served luke warm coffee. Blargh.

2 Likes

Lukewarm coffee does not sound good, hope your staying safe there.

I’ve got high cholesterol. All fun things are off the menu for the moment. It’s worse than having Covid. I imagine.

How about hot coffee? I hope that’s still OK!

Guy

1 Like

It’s not, Guy :sob:

Welcome to suckfest 2022

1 Like

That does suck. I hope you’ll be in better shape soon.

Guy

1 Like

I’ve learned something. Coffee contains compounds that can raise cholesterol levels.

1 Like

Thanks Guy. My cholesterol reading recently was 7 and according to my doctor, “5 is terrible.” :see_no_evil:

I hope you get back on track.

Now that I think about it, my butter intake and propensity for sweets is probably not helping me either.

Guy

Jeesus! If true, I am really screwed!

Guy

1 Like

Stress can also raise the bad LDL cholesterol so it’s a bit of a toss up… coffee (which raises cholesterol) lowers stress (which also raises cholesterol)

Damned if you do…

1 Like

You’d never believe it, would you?

Next those medical boffins will be telling us gin isn’t good for you!

1 Like