2020 : My journey towards getting Taiwanese Citizenship for myself and my infant daughter

I had this dilemma when I was applying for my HHR…they said a rental contract ain’t good enough and that you also need a copy of the Landlord’s “房屋稅單” to register yourself into the Landlord’s 戶口. Since I was not so friendly with my landlord at that time (only started renting for a year or so) and knowing how Landlord’s here are so unwilling to let tenants register, I decided to use my brother’s 戶籍 to register myself as he had bought a house in his name. Fast forward a few years later and being on good terms with my landlord, I finally asked him if he was willing to let me “設獨立戶籍”, at which he readily agreed and even said that it is the law now that landlords cannot refuse tenants to register at their address. He gave me his 房屋稅單 and now I have my own HHR at his place of residence. There was another reason why I had to “設戶籍” as I was applying for a rent subsidy.
Anyway, this HHR thing is a real pain in the a@# and it all depends on the Landlord/Landlady if they are willing to comply or not even though the law says they must. Add to that, the Taiwan govt. thinks all new immigrants who are just about to receive their IDs should also have their own house in their own name so they can setup their HHR!!! @Fuzzy_Barbecue the easiest solution would be to ask a Taiwan friend if he/she is willing to let you into their HHR…if not, I hope your landlady agrees!.

5 Likes