2020 : My journey towards getting Taiwanese Citizenship for myself and my infant daughter

I didn’t get this letter, no. I only got a long phone call verifying a lot of my personal information. I also call them back a few times asking about the process for leaving the country while I was “draftable”.

When I got my ID the HHR office didn’t tell me anything about the subject and didn’t mention to go to the X floor to talk to the conscription office (which was in the same building apparently).

1 Like

How good is your Chinese? Did you deal with the HHR and naturalization officers in Chinese? That sounds like a nightmare to me.

I dealt with them all in Chinese yes, I’ve been here for a while and I use Chinese daily for work and life in general.

3 Likes

Yes, HHR didn’t told me regarding this matter too, so initially I guess because my age I don’t need to do anything.

Just one week after I got my Taiwan ID, my friend got this letter for me.

That’s why I feel weird. :sweat_smile:

My friend got my letter because I borrow his address to register hukou.

So probably they initially send to your first time registered hukou?

Well, today I’m going and see what’s the situation.
Will update here for new info.

Thanks

Well, I also deal it with Chinese, since already a while in here. When I don’t understand, just ask more so nothing is a miss.

I think officer that handle naturalization also have some understanding regarding English.

But remember one of requirement for naturalization are language whether from school or exams.

2 Likes

Hi @routh ,

Don’t panic :slight_smile:

I didn’t get this letter, but I got a similar one shortly after getting the 身份證. It asked me to visit the conscription office where I probably filled out that form you got.

At that time I was informed that there was a one year exemption for those who obtained citizenship through naturalisation. “See you in a year”, basically.

The conscription people were universally friendly, and you do probably have to take action on receiving this letter. I recommend going into the 公所 to find them, bring copies of your naturalisation certificates, and have a chat. Will work out fine.

4 Likes

Hi,

Well, I’m not panic, just weird because mostly I follow this thread and no mention about letter, only got phone call.

For update, basically the letter that I got is almost similar situation with @frank_hnd, where government decide to call him instead of going to their office. They also told me that there’s grace period for 1 year, and basically next year I won’t be called since my age already over military service age range.

For further notice
Anyone who decide to apply citizenship, after you register your HHR at first time, government will either call or send you letter about 兵籍調查 as long as your age still within military service age range.

兵籍調查, this are for 公所 to complete their data about you and will tell you that you will have grace period for 1 year after naturalize, and if your age still within military service age range after 1 year then you will be conscripted.

Also, if you decide to change HHR again to different area, your first 公所 will transfer your data to other 公所 area that you decide to move.
e.g. Initially your HHR are at Banqiao, but you decide to move your HHR to Yonghe, 公所 at Banqiao will transfer your data to 公所 at Yonghe, and probably 公所 at Yonghe will call or send letter to you again as long as your age within military service age range.

Since your age still within military service age range, you will need go to NIA to get stamp if you want to go abroad.

And better to comply with their call and listen to them, they’re so friendly.

Things need to bring:

• Taiwan ID
  • Naturalization certificate
  • 戶口名簿
  • Highest graduate certificate
  • And their letter if you got one

That’s all.

3 Likes

I have never received any letter or call for military service since I got my citizenship. By end of this month, it will be exactly 1 year since I got my ID. I plan to visit the conscription office soon to confirm my status and update my ID card accordingly, so I can travel freely.

P.S My birth year is 75, so I think I am exempted but I will find out soon enough.

8 Likes

Well, that’s weird…
After 1 year, if you are exempted, I think it’s good to say that you don’t need to do anything, but, since you never got any notice from them after your first HHR, to be safe, you can visit their office to confirm.

1 Like

That’s how I did it in 1990’s. Not like many people in the HH office would speak English. In fact I was the first foreigner in the HH office where I applied the lass whose job it was took 20 minutes to find the application form. Fortunately the form had all the requirements and documents to had to provide. As I had met the requirement and had all the documents it was pay NT$1200 and that was that.

Nowadays you don’t need good Chinese, some basic Chinese and google translate. But often nowadays HH staff have enough English to get by.

They didn’t tell me about the one year on TARC to get ID without traveling. All those conditions were listed on the back pages of the TARC, it was really a paper booklet back then, just like the old paper ARC’s.

BTW you can still get called up for “reserves” training until 40 years old. Not likely but can happen. It’s only a couple of weeks I believe.

1 Like

Please let me know if I should do the same. I traveled last on December and came back in January, so I haven’t officially left the country in 2023 and we had the stamp until Dec.31.

Same for me. I got my first stamp which expired on Dec 31. In 2023, I had to travel again, so I got another stamp which expires at the end of this month. The passport office explicitly told me that this was the last stamp.

This is why I need to go to the conscription office. I think, ultimately, we’ll need to modify our ID card. The space for military service is blank on mine. I don’t know for sure, but I think it has to say “exempted” for us to be able to travel outside Taiwan.

This is what I found online for possible entries for the “service/役別” field on the ID:

https://civilinfo.taichung.gov.tw/1486253/englishTrans

1 Like

Wow! Paper ARC. What did those look like? You must have had to laminate them to carry them around in your bag/pocket all day.

Interesting info, thanks for sharing.

Data point: my spot is also blank, and after receiving the exemption notification I’ve exited/entered TW using the TW passport without any issues a few times.

4 Likes

They were made of a size that even when folded didn’t fit in a wallet. I trimmed mine to fit and FAP went nuts and threatened to fine me lol. I still have my old ARC I’ll post a copy.

3 Likes

Mine’s also blank since Day 1 of receiving it and I already reached the cut off age of 37 when I got my ID card.

Edit: Just checked I was 38 when I first got my ID Card in June 2016 (Born May 1978)

1 Like

Thanks for confirming this. So it means we don’t need to modify the ID card. Blank space is fine. We just need to get an exemption notification.

2 Likes

Mine also. However you can get called up for reserve training until 40 years of age. I2’s only a few weeks I think now only 2 weeks. Until last afaik year my birth name was always on my HH.
I went to HH office to get a print out of my Hukou and my birth name is no longer listed. I asked why they did not know. The last vestige of any foreignness has been… erased lol

4 Likes

Sometimes it’s less. My husband was called for training for 2 days, 2ish years ago. He would have been 27/28 at the time

1 Like

How long did the second stamp lasted for?
I need to travel next month and also in June. :sweat_smile: