2021 Canada Election

Well i wont admit to said voter fraud…but will say many voted while overseas without issues. That all said its quite wrong to take away that right.

In my case i still pay taxes in canada despite not living there full time for a long time. I personally argue anyone that is a citizen has the right to vote. And i pay lots of taxes without things like medical coverage or pension type benefits so damned if i will let my vote be thrown to the shitter as well. If they go down the tax road as for voting rights, how about people who earn money in canada that dont live there over 5 years dont need to pay taxes if they cant vote. Its just retarded. The right to vote is sacred in canada and should not be taken away. Honestly, i am not buying the harper team were as innocent as you make them out to be on this one.

I cant comment on Italy, but i absolutely think the system we have in taiwan is right fugged as well. Frankly, the whole household registration thing should just become a museum piece, but that is off topic.

Like I said. It wasn’t a right beforehand. It is now, but it wasn’t a right at the time.

Nothing was taken away from you. Postal voting wasn’t even a thing until 1993 in Canada.

There was no right to vote for non-resident citizens before the Supreme Court ruling. Nothing was taken away from you.

We don’t have a constitution in Canada. Our ‘constitution’ is an ever-evolving list of court rulings. This is just one of the newest.

We all do. But it never was a right until the Supreme Court decision.

Then you must initiate a constitutional court challenge.

If you’re asking me, you’re not understanding the point of my posts.

It was never taken away. It wasn’t a thing until the Supreme Court decision.

You don’t have to, but it’s the truth. You didn’t have the right to vote.

The truth is, you didn’t have an unlimited right to vote. It’s not a debatable thing, it’s history.

Harper didn’t take away your right to vote. There are so few Canadians outside of their ridings it barely makes a difference in seat totals.

https://www.elections.ca/content2.aspx?section=vote&dir=app/vbm&document=index&lang=e

Even this year. 254000 special ballots were sent out. At an average of 750 votes per riding, it’s not enough to even sway the election with our FPTP system.

You’re not worth targetting. Usually the most correct explanation is the simplest.

Just remember.

In Harper’s time, the independent courts actually disagreed that expat Canadians should vote.

https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onca/doc/2015/2015onca536/2015onca536.html?searchUrlHash=AAAAAAAAAAEAFjIwMTQgT05TQyA5MDcgKENhbkxJSSkAAAABAAwvMjAxNG9uc2M5MDcB&resultIndex=3

The Chief Electoral Officer in 2005 had even told the Liberals, in a minority government, with the NDP holding the balance of power that they should scrap the law. They ignored it. All parties ignored it.

The law was not completely unenforced either. Before 1993, there was no mail in ballot whatsoever save for select public servants and military personnel. In 1993 it was given to all Canadians living abroad for a max of five years with the intent of returning to Canada.

If you voted at that time while being out of Canada for five years, you broke the law.

1 Like

Yes thanks for writing that out, i do indeed understand your posts. I should of worded different. They ddint “take away” our right to vote, they never gave canadians the right to vote in this situation. An inlortant distinction, your are right. I didnt move here til earl 2000s, where i could accomplish mail order voting as have may i have known. They had no issues sending out the papers for people not in canada for over 5 years. That would interesting if they did indeed just ignore their own laws.

Regardless of how many votes may be tallied wih this section, that isnt really the point. The point is allowing every citizen the right to vote. Its just line that shouldnt be crossed. Thankfully it has been corrected.

That’s…pretty much what they did.

Someone probably just went to the chief electoral officer and said ‘Hey, this isn’t being enforced. Should we?’

I’d probably vote NDP if I were there, or vote based on my local candidates’ specific platforms. Since I’m here, I think I’ll sit this one out. Trudeau should step down if the Conservatives take control after this (and WE charity, etc.).

it’s no risk to you if you vote. Why sit this out? Might as well exercise the right.

1 Like

because i don’t like any of the party leaders enough to give them my support, but i don’t hate any of them enough to vote against them. if i were required to vote, i guess i’d vote against trudeau for calling the election in the first place (i voted last time, that wasn’t very long ago…).

if anyone says they’ll cancel student debt, i’ll vote for that person.

The problem is, since we don’t have turnout requirements, non votes are not represented in parliament.

You don’t need to like any of the party leaders, just talk to your constituency candidates to see what they say. They’re your first line and the easiest time to chat with them is Now.

actually, my original plan is the easiest…

Im gonna go with marco on this one, why not excercise the right? I am like you, hate none, love none. But for my particar views i view canada as seriously lacking sustainable environmental standards, so i am voting green this time only because i want more of their voice in parliament and i am confident they wont hold any position of true power. I just want their voice scratching at the other 3 lack lustre groups that are doing phuck all to plan for our future (as a species).

The local candidate is far more consequential than the far-away leader.

We know what you mean. But it still sounds funny saying local leader in Canada while in taiwan haha. They are essentially equally far away leaders.

1 Like

Yes, but I can still call and get ahold of mine to give them shit

I don’t just call Taiwanese MPs. Much of @marco’s behind-the-scenes involves calling his MP in Canada.

i can’t do that, do my job, pretend to finish my phd life my outside life, and argue with strangers on the internet. not enough time in the day… oh, and earthquake!

Will taking 10 mins to vote interupt any of that? You probbaly spent more time in this thread than it takes to vote :wink:

Dont make me tell you how my grandparents died in ww2 to give us this freedom.

Just kidding. Sort of. Not really. Its good to vote. Please vote. If you dont vote i kill 100 puppies.

Remember the nazis.

Gonna vote now?

i’m holding you to this

If you @ yourself, is it like those bathrooms with mirrors on all sides?

1 Like

Can i change my answer to kitties? I like dogs.

Like I said, I don’t vote in Canadian elections (now that I can) because I haven’t lived there for thirty years and have no intention of going back (I should become an ROC citizen, but I’m too lazy) and so don’t feel that I have the right to interfere with their situation.

I will not be voting in this election either. Have voted in last two UK national elections, as well as numerous local UK ones. Slowly, like you Mike, am losing interest in actively voting in Canadian ones (although never tired to pontificate). Too much paperwork and hate giving addresses etc. to the Feds to get the ballots. Am a dual national and feel more of a Brit these days than a Canuck. My favorite leader federally of any Canadian Party was blue collar NDP Ed Broadbent in the 80s. Provincially–Gordo or Klein. I guess I am not ideologically consistent as I have voted Cons, Labour and other regional parties in the UK as well (depending on the candidate).

My hope–NDP and Conservative minority government. NDP will keep the Cons honest and anyone is better than Golden Pony Trudeau.