2023-2024 Costs for pregnancy checkups and giving birth in Taipei and legal rights

Hello! I saw there were some responses on the topic but not recent ones.

Does anybody know the current costs of having pregnancy checkups and giving birth in Taipei at public hospitals vs. private medical centers and what percentage or fixed costs are covered by the NHS?

Also, do you know if foreigners with APRC having a job for more than 6 months, paying labor insurance for more than a year, have the same rights regarding:

1. The prenatal checkups,
  2. The 2 months paid maternity leave,
  3. The 2 years parental leave (6 months with paid parental leave allowance)

Thank you for your help!

1 Like

Iā€™m going through it right now! Ms. RickRoll and I are expecting our 4th kid :sunglasses:

In all our pregnancies, we used public hospitals and pretty much every prenatal check up is covered by NHS, which includes blood tests and ultrasound every other visit. We just need to pay the consultation fee and some minor extras, about a few hundred NTD every time.

If you want additional exams, such as more frequent ultrasounds, specific blood tests, high definition ultrasound, etc., you will need to pay out of the pocket, and the cost will vary depending on the exam you want.
Aside from that, there are some other expenses for during and after the labor, which includes anesthetics, medications, private room, different meals, extra services. If my memory serves me right, we spend about 20k-30k on that.

As for labor rights, yes you get the same rights as a taiwanese. I, as the father, got 7 paid days and I could take the 2 years parental leave, but I only did it once.
However, itā€™s worth to note that the parental leave pay is only 60% of the insurance bracket you pay, which means about 25k per month if your salary is above 45k, or something like that.

I hope that helps!

9 Likes

Thank you so much for your detailed response, did your partner do confinement? If yes, do you have any thoughts on going to the post-partum centres vs doing confinement at home? Any advice is really appreciated!!

Thank you

Thank you for your service.

1 Like

We didnā€™t go to a clinic, just stayed at home eating light and resting.
We donā€™t think the post-partum clinics are worth what they charge, but YMMV.

3 Likes

Youā€™re welcome.
I canā€™t say I dislike the baby-making process. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

If your wife is Taiwanese pay for a good centre. Or you will never hear the end of it.

Do you have any recommendations on the centers?

Assuming you are in Taipei, this thread talked about centers in a specific area of Taipei.

The key I think is find somewhere thatā€™s close by to where you live. Usually there will be frequent trips between home and the center, especially if you have pets.

1 Like

Thank you!

Not necessarily! My wife couldnā€™t comprehend having to pay that much money to be locked up and fed all that superstitious bs.

Besides itā€™s crazy just how expensive it is. Iā€™m just taking time off work to take care of my wife for the month after the baby is born personally

4 Likes

If your work allows it, that of course is a good option. However, if you are going to get your pay deducted, I donā€™t see how that would be the better option.

The best case scenario is that the new mom doesnā€™t have a lot of physical discomfort, and her mother is able to come and take care of her.

I chose a center that is also an OBGYN. It wasnā€™t where my kid was born, but itā€™s closer to where I live. My wifeā€™s wound for some reason did not heal even after the 3 weeks she was there. The doctor would either come up to check on the wound, or the clinic would call to inform her that she can go down for her examination. Just the amount of pain saved from she having to travel to an OBGYN and wait in the waiting room was well worth the price. Her wound also prevented her from being able to sit or stand for a long period of time.

Itā€™s expensive. If the new mother feels fine after giving birth, the only benefit would be she got more rest and there are IBCLCs or at least people with similar knowledge there to help with lactation. However, it would be too late to look for a center when you find out the new mom is in constant pain after giving birth.

1 Like

My wife stayed in the (Taipei City) public hospital where she gave birth for post-partum recovery. The first time, there were like 3 nurses taking care of 5-6 babies. The second time 3 nurses taking care of 2 babies. We were very satisfied with the public hospital overall. She even had own room at the cost of a room for 3. Many locals go to post-partum centers where like 3 nurses take care of 20 or more babies.

1 Like

My wife said they are a waste of money. She says she is Taiwanese, but she could be lying. We did order specially made food though. That cost 60k for 30 days.

Hmm thatā€™s food for thought. I definitely donā€™t want my wife to suffer.

Has anyone had a baby at the Mackay hospital before by the way? What was your experience like?

It seems the Beitou Mackay branch is less busy. Thereā€™s rarely much waiting to be seen unlike the one in Taipei

I suppose not everyone is the same. But, you do not want your wife (or her family) to blame you for her bad health for the rest of her life. If your wife is not like that then all the better.

Thatā€™s only if the hospital has post-partum center service, otherwise you are usually supposed to leave after 2 days.

1 Like

Iā€™m guessing you are referring to Taipeiā€™s Mackay hospital near Shuanglian station?

I have several co-workers who had a baby at Hsinchuā€™s Mackay hospital, and they all had very positive things to say about the experience.

Ah sorry I didnā€™t clarify I was wondering how the tamsui branch was like (near zhuwei station). Iā€™ve been to the one at shuanglian and it wasnā€™t the best experience. Weā€™ve been doing the prenatal appointments in Tamsui but Iā€™m just curious if anyone had experience with giving birth there