21st Century Energy Policy

Here is a good listen. I should start a new thread simply on energy.

Investments in traditional energy have been discouraged by governments and individuals (Greta et al). We had good things going but now we are gnashing teeth because of worldwide incompetence

So what’s your thoughts on things to improve? You do realise people talk in order to stimulate thought on things they didn’t previously think about? Many people actually DO things, but talking is an important way to either gain new ideas or trash old old ones.

Greta is a child. a nice idea, fun to watch. but if people only think because of that, it is a bit sad. good in the sense they wouldnt be thinking at all otherwise. but still quite sad we need such characters in order to start thinking about common sense. same goes for all the rest. why dont we think for ourselves without tv personalities?

Might not be nice to say. But that is karma. they had all the time in the world to change their ways. like when a long term smoker cries and prays to god about why they have long cancer. Like, no shit…brah…

Same goes elsewhere. people only change when forced, a historical norm.

Hmm, well I take it that you mean that we are dependent on oil, coal and gas because governments have discouraged renewable (natural?) resources…

I think we have plenty of renewable alternatives that are just waiting for us to develop adequately. Solar, wind, geothermal, tidal and hydrogen…

We only need to start working on practical technologies to create hydrogen from seawater using big solar “stills”. Repopulate the denuded jungles with plants. Figure out how to grow gardens below the desert. A lot of things that seem impossible right now have to happen, or we are done. The climate scientists at my university in Alberta were saying that back in 1993, I remember very well. We have known for a long long time that the Earth is on a rapidly heating trajectory…

I think, if we are to survive and flourish as a species, the world will be quite unrecognizable in two hundred years… However, the question remains if it is within our capacity to transform our civilization into a waste-free clean world. Signs are not good for that at the present moment.

Unless we can stop fossil fuels right away, we are going to have a lot more problems. Even if we are able to stop burning stuff, the world will continue to heat up for years and decades from the “inertial trend” that defines the nature of global warming. Note also the mega-tonnes of methane waiting for inevitable release from the thawing permafrost, and the declining ability of the oceans to absorb heat and carbon as they are de-oxygenated and become more acidic. Yes, it will take great miracles of cooperation and science to save even a few wild species in their native habitats. What native habitats can remain untouched!?

I see survival dome cities and new cities built underground. They will be necessary… Let’s hope the human population declines naturally and not from a real plague, or mega-mass death from heat waves… Although both seem likely in the not so distant future, within in our lifetimes, or our kids’…

Okay, well sad or not, alarming or not. She’s thinking for herself and for adults, too. Anyone who claims she is/ was a “tool” is simply out of touch with reality.

I have met kids before who can think for themselves. I was thinking for myself when I was ten and twelve years old, reading Homer and philosophy…

The doom and gloom is always 10 years away. Like fusion…

Fusion will arrive before the environmental apocalypse.

I don’t think citing evidence of actual eventualities about methane release and oceanic de-oxygenation & acidification is doom and gloom. The near certain inevitability of continued, rampant global warming is a fact today. It’s been known for decades. They were writing articles about it in newspapers as far back as 1985. I remember. Anyway, maybe we will be spared the plague, but not the killer heatwaves…

As to fusion, I read an article about the one they are building in France, and was struck how overly-complicated the whole thing is! I mean, one little part doesn’t work, or breaks – out of a zillion little things – and you don’t have a working fusion reactor. The design ought to be much much simpler… But that technology lies in some space alien future, I guess. In the near term I’m not going to put my eggs in any astronomically expensive and not-yet workable nuclear baskets.

Really surprised you did not at all mention Earth’s rapidly weakening magnetic field meaning we have less protection from the sun’s energy. I really want to hear you go on about how we must fix that.

I heard in the 70s they used to be worried about global cooling and how it would lead to food supply shortage. Now it’s global warming.

Also heat domes are localized heat zone that just happen to be over Europe, and all of a sudden it’s a global warming event. Heat domes are just areas of high pressure that traps heat from escaping, which causes very high temperature. But on either side of a heat dome it is still cool. It’s weather pattern, not the entire area suddenly becoming hotter.

I was referring to adults not thinking about themselves. Greta is fine. what is sad is she is used to persuade adults that dont think for themselves. The adults being the sad bit. I only say that because if one does believe in the environmental issues, it seems odd to learn from a child on tv about issues so directly related to ones life.

1 Like

This is exactly the kind of cynical and deliberate blindness that will likely continue until things are irreparable. You think it’s funny, I don’t.

Honestly, deflection from reality is the modus operandi of sold-out, crooked lobbyists in Washington, not people who are thinking for themselves.

I think the forum is definitely over-populated with complacent Americans, who are satisfied to pretend they know what’s right, yet simply do so by ignoring what is actually happening!

Have you looked at the drought in America lately? The southwest had been dying for over a decade… Yet our brilliant American brothers keep migrating there…

2 Likes

Do not overlook the cynical Brits, the simple Canadians, the wayward Kiwis, the aggressive Australians, the surly South Africans, the irate Italians, the no-nonsense Germans, the enterprising Irish, amongst significant others.

This odd mix certainly does lead to a dissonant reading experience, doesn’t it. :neutral_face:

Guy

1 Like

Looks like I got the timing wrong, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ--Si40IMU

Inevitable when a country puts little effort into other options that are smog factories. Their efforts with fukashima were shitty when it happened, and still would seem to be shitty. Unless boating electricity to shore is considered a smart idea lol.

Fukushima!

Guy

1 Like

They haven’t earned typo correction yet :sweat_smile:

I wont mess with Hiroshima or Nagasaki though :japan:

Seems like you missed the news about the foolish Europeans. Did you read about the German’s Danube river running so low they are finding it hard to use for transporting goods (including energy) as was standard?

Another article reports that Musk believes fossil fuels are essential to keep civilization going.

Some encouraging news, Europe is aware of natural gas resources they already have available to extract from their own lands and seem likely to avail themselves to (along with burning wood and coal to keep from freezing) as there are few other options (wind power and other renewables are instantly unviable).

At least Americans still have U-Haul trucks etc to get to places where there is food and water.

I think this article mentions Greta and Trump for all of their fans following this. Brilliant EU environmental leadership get mentioned as well. Expected 10x costs of energy from 2021. Simply brilliant !!!

Here is a deacon talking about energy.

He cites that 40% of energy bills are going toward viable green (not) causes?

Clip shows pensioner using her 50,000 in savings to insulate her 1930s row house to save on energy costs. I assume she has no air con but is more concerned about keeping heat in and cold out. Hello. Worried about savings now?

Funny moment when the deacon mentions how labor and conservatives agreed in 2010 that nuclear wasn’t a good option for the UK because it wouldn’t come online until 2021.

Think of all of the complainers we’d be able to read the words of (if they existed and were not so ignorant that they could actually write) had they recorded their experience of transitioning from Pangaea. Doom doom doom. Which continent would those Pangaea descendants shake a finger at now and call stupid? Hahahaha

Britons forced to choose between 'heating and eating' as energy crisis worsens - YouTube

This just in. Humans are dumb and are (hopefully) realizing that the decades they had to make full changes, but did nothing, is starting to bite them in the ass.

Real change only happens when forced we see this behaviour play on repeat throughout the ages.

1 Like

Gotta stay hopeful. If the lying tabacco industry guys could get exposed back in the day, with some significant (if not perfect) changes to public policy, then the lying fossil fuel guys can also be sidelined. It will however take focus and principle and determination to get us there, hopefully before we all burn to the ground.

Guy