3/27 demo and others - what a riot!

[quote=“AWOL”]Following local forums over the past few days… KMT support is waning apparently… surely al the pro KMT-PFP cops at the CEC must be thinking twice…

Bring the rain!!![/quote]

My sentiments. Those in Taipei, be careful today or get out, that is what I would do were I in Taipei today. Besides, the weather looks dreadful.

[quote]The government has issued a statement calling on participants in Saturday’s march to “exercise peace and reason”.

The mayor of Taipei, Ma Ying-jeou, has said the protest must be over by 1800 local time (1000GMT).

Any demonstrations that go on past the deadline will be declared illegal and dealt with by the police, he said.
[/quote] BBC Online

Should be interesting…

Mayor Ma has 5,000 police to oust the estimated 500,000 (won’t get that big) crowd if they stay past 6pm. One theory by a political idiot in my office is that they will all go to the Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall so as not to embarrass Ma.
When pigs fly, says I.
Some Chinese say after today, it’s over. It’s not, but this is for the Election thread…

Yeah, but aren’t the majority just there for the free lunch and 1500 NT? Me, I’d take their money, show up and hang around for about 15 minutes just for appearances, and then split to do my own thing. I’m betting most of the people there are of the same mind.

Unless they’re offering free beer.

Jesus, God, NO, tell me they’re not offering free beer as well! The cops will NEVER be able to get the crowd off the streets! Those people are gonna be partying until the wee hours of the morning!

Come on Modster, they are all going to go home at 6pm; Mayor Ma said, free beer or not. :unamused:

I’ve just returned from the ‘Danger Zone’ - Thousands of people loading onto 100s of busses, looking wet and miserable in their yellow plastic macs. Frankly most of them looked pretty pathetic, waving their little flags and holding up two fingers to any passing vehicle. Thanks must go out to the wether I suppose.

The best was that sign which said ‘DEMOCRACY IS DEAD’ - Just one of many totally totally ridiculous placards (in English) which they were waving around, I wish I had had my camera for some of them.

Another thought - What would they have done if the plastic rainmacs from 7-11 were green and not yellow?

:laughing:

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]One theory by a political idiot in my office is that they will all go to the Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall so as not to embarrass Ma.
[/quote]
Well, it looks as if Mayor Ma just told them all to go to CKS Memorial Hall until April 3… Or does my Chinese suck?
http://tw.news.yahoo.com/040327/39/jm9p.html

The people from out of town, the ones bused in, are retreating to CKS Hall, but the rest don’t look to me like they are going anywhere.
I have been told absolutely that by morning, the square will be completely empty of protesters. I absolutely don’t think so.
Anyone care to wager?

(And Hsu Hsin-liang stopped his “marathon” fast…from Wednesday night at 9pm until now. Unbelieveable feat of determination!)

The BBC is asking for comments from people who “were there” or even “took part in the protests”. The form to send your opinion is at the bottom of the page.

[quote=“taipeipalace”]I’ve just returned from the ‘Danger Zone’ - Thousands of people loading onto 100s of busses, looking wet and miserable in their yellow plastic macs. Frankly most of them looked pretty pathetic, waving their little flags and holding up two fingers to any passing vehicle. Thanks must go out to the wether I suppose.

The best was that sign which said ‘DEMOCRACY IS DEAD’ - Just one of many totally totally ridiculous placards (in English) which they were waving around, I wish I had had my camera for some of them.[/quote]

I think we must have been at different demonstrations. I saw thousands of people who looked like they couldn’t have been happier if the Bulls (baseball team) had been playing. There was singing and dancing and flag waving (which always accomplishes a lot) and a general festive atmosphere. People were coming up and saying ‘hello’ and thanking me for coming. I was there to snap some picture (which I’ll put on my web site later) and some people even posed, unasked.
Though a political afficianado, I’ve refrained from saying anything since the election. But now, I’m board.
I worked for several years in American politics on different election campaigns. Once, I worked on a State Senate campaign where, out of 500,000 votes cast, the candidate I was working for lost by 450. There was an imediate recount which changed the difference to about 350. The candidate lost no time in taking the matter to court. One of our consultants told me that anytime a result was within 1% that BOTH candidates should contest the results. I think that that is much more at issue when the contest is over who will be running the country for the next x number of years. It’s the responsibility of a democratic nation to provide the people with (and let them feel secure that they got) a fair election.
There was nothing at the protest that was incompatable with democracy. Taiwan’s election laws do not provide for a recount without a long legal battle even if the results are so close. That is a flaw in the system. I see the week long demonstration as an effort to rectify a problem that never should have been. You can be sure of one thing, if there is ever another election that is this close, there will be a law on the books to deal with it. It’s like closing the barn door after the horse, but that’s how gov’t works.

I disagree with the idea that peaceful protests or even occasionally violent protests are a threat to Democracy. I think it is part of what Democracy is. It’s foolish of us to put our faith in systems of voting as the keeper of us all and the protector of Democracy. If you can accept the inevitability of foreign wars, you should be able to accept that people will stand up in their own countries for their own beliefs. I would like to see more people on the streets of my home country America, a country as polarized in politics as Taiwan. I think America could learn a lesson about how Democracy really works from Taiwan.

You better get some glasses or something. Changing the rules after the game is over is not rectifying a problem.

Wipe the shit out of your eyes.[/quote]

Very eloquent, I agree with you now :unamused:

Politicians pass retroactive laws all the time. Democracy adjusts.

Politicians pass retroactive laws all the time. Democracy adjusts.[/quote]

quick on the draw you are :slight_smile: i tried to be politer after the fact. anyway what can i say, i’ve had it, talking to you people is like talking to the wall.

but not quite yet :slight_smile: politicians pass retroactive laws all the time. do you have any idea what a democratic election represents? to you it seems to be just a way to get your favorite candidate into office. sorry i’m a democrat. i have ideals and one of them is that you respect the democratic process, not spit on it.

do you agree with me now?

CKS Memorial Hall is the best place for them; those who would deny democracy are in good company with the late dictator.

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]I have been told absolutely that by morning, the square will be completely empty of protesters. I absolutely don’t think so.
Anyone care to wager?[/quote]

How much did you lose on that wager? According to what they just said on the news this morning, they started clearing the square of protesters at 5.30am.

Politicians pass retroactive laws all the time. Democracy adjusts.[/quote]

quick on the draw you are :slight_smile: I tried to be politer after the fact. anyway what can I say, I’ve had it, talking to you people is like talking to the wall.

but not quite yet :slight_smile: politicians pass retroactive laws all the time. do you have any idea what a democratic election represents? to you it seems to be just a way to get your favorite candidate into office. sorry I’m a democrat. I have ideals and one of them is that you respect the democratic process, not spit on it.

do you agree with me now?[/quote]

A re-count is different from a re-vote. A recount is just to assure that the candidate who the people voted for actually gets in office.

Oh please! We know that.
The fact remains that there is currently no law which allows for an immediate recount in the event of a close call. Lien-Soong have filed a suit to get a recount and Chen has said he will not contest it so that the recount can get started as soon as possible. Can’t say fairer than that.