3/27 demo and others - what a riot!

I’m sure you could easily see more people on the streets in the US - if they are also taken by busses they don’t need to pay for, get US$50 for the day (or 150 if they stay over night) and free food and drinks. Yes, then you could get more people on the streets in any country…

Oh please! We know that.
The fact remains that there is currently no law which allows for an immediate recount in the event of a close call. Lien-Soong have filed a suit to get a recount and Chen has said he will not contest it so that the recount can get started as soon as possible. Can’t say fairer than that.[/quote]

Well said, Spack. Chen’s agreement to a recount was gracious, accomodating and fair. The only thing fairer than that would be if Lien/Soong would also agree not to contest the result if it ends up confirming Chen’s re-election. But they are not interested in fairness and will surely continue crying unfair no matter what happens until they are able to subvert the democratic process and the will of the people sufficiently to take power through their machiavellian tricks.

GOPBill wrote:

Just like what happened in Florida in 2000. A committee was formed, procedures were changed and vows were made that this would “never happen again”.

I just caught the tail end of a report on nian dai news…there was a mid 40s guy trying to hit a studenty looking guy…aparrently for speaking english!!!
anyone know what that was about?

[quote=“Southpaw”]I just caught the tail end of a report on nian dai news…there was a mid 40s guy trying to hit a studenty looking guy…aparrently for speaking English!!!
anyone know what that was about?[/quote]

maybe he thought he was speaking japanese.

[quote]
A re-count is different from a re-vote. A recount is just to assure that the candidate who the people voted for actually gets in office.[/quote]

Chen has agreed to this for a while, what is up with the demands for him to do it “immediately,” you can hardly expect him to do this by fiat after being compared to Hitler.

I just saw a local student being interviewed on TV. He was complaining about the noise in the area. What happened? Three Pan-Blue thugs came and physically assaulted the kid, right in front of the TV camera. Police officers had to get them off the kid.

If it was assault, won’t the police arrest them later on, or will the lad have to press charges?

I noticed female police officers were initially used to move many of the protestors. How often do you see female police officers here? :unamused:

Don’t know. Actually, I don’t know if the police have been arresting people or not as I am not there. It was definately an assault and it was caught live on TV. Inexcusable. Ma has probably told the police not to arrest anybody unless absolutely neccessary. Typical KMT hack.

Don’t know. Actually, I don’t know if the police have been arresting people or not as I am not there. It was definately an assault and it was caught live on TV. Inexcusable. Ma has probably told the police not to arrest anybody unless absolutely neccessary. Typical KMT hack.[/quote]

Indeed. I don’t get why the police had to physically disperse the crowds though…wouldn’t the tear-gas/water hose trick be equally effective? Who cares about the hurt pride of the KMT and injured protestors? Hey, they knew what they were getting into last Saturday.

As in, why does the head of the police dept. have to take orders from Ma? Can't he make his own decisions? <--no idea, which is why I'm asking

Hmm? You see them directing traffic all the time in Tainan. But I’ve heard that the Tainan government is the “most socially progressive” city in Taiwan (that’s what the LP and Let’s Go Taiwan and Taiwan Ho! etc. guides all say). So I guess that’s what they mean.

Oh please! We know that.
The fact remains that there is currently no law which allows for an immediate recount in the event of a close call. Lien-Soong have filed a suit to get a recount and Chen has said he will not contest it so that the recount can get started as soon as possible. Can’t say fairer than that.[/quote]

Then we agree. :slight_smile:

the mayor sees to be a big deal over here…but i dont even know who the mayor of london is…and i dont think it really matters

I’m sure Red Ken would disagree!

Actually, sunrise was 5:50am and the protesters had not cleared the square by then, although they were in the process of being hooved out.
The bet was that the square would be clear of protesters. So, I won. But I didn’t cash in, in the spirit of fairness.

Actually, sunrise was 5:50am and the protesters had not cleared the square by then, although they were in the process of being hooved out.
The bet was that the square would be clear of protesters. So, I won. But I didn’t cash in, in the spirit of fairness.[/quote]

That’s not fair! I didn’t get to place my bets! (heh heh just 灌水ing/posting meaningless blather)

So, is there going to be another protest this weekend?

I heard someone trying to get it together and round up more people for this weekend.

Oh, and anyone know why that student was getting beaten up by old men on the news? Why was he speaking English? The old guys were really angry about the English because they didn’t understand. So, what was it all about? It all happened so fast.

Jez, give all those unemployed, elderly and mentally challenged people a rest. They’ve been at it for over a week now. NT$1,500 a day just isn’t worth it! :wink:

I encourage the KMT to organize more of these protests. Hold a protest every day for several months. Or however long it takes them to spend themselves into bankruptcy.

Hey, if that’s what it takes to redistribute all the wealth the KMT stole…

[quote=“mod lang”]I encourage the KMT to organize more of these protests. Hold a protest every day for several months. Or however long it takes them to spend themselves into bankruptcy.

Hey, if that’s what it takes to redistribute all the wealth the KMT stole…[/quote]

it will take a bit more than that. chicken feed