39 bodies found in a truck [UK]

Well yeah but everyone and their mother assumed that they were refugees from MENA. Like that similar incident in Austria a few years ago.

Why surprising ? Lots of Chinese working in agriculture in the UK. Some legal some not, they work hard and are cheaper than Polish.

1 Like

I was surprised as well to hear they were Chinese, not because there’s a lack of illegal Chinese migrants in Europe, but because “X amount of illegal migrants found inside a truck” 99% of the time involves some “”“Syrian”"" “”"""""""""“refugees”""""""""""""" travelling from anywhere between Congo and Afghanistan into Europe.

stating the obvious

Not when you consider earnings per capita. China has a billion people

Dear Poo Bear, Instead of merely pointing the finger at the UK government, and accusing it of having not done enough to save the lives of the 39 people, the Chinese government should address the issue about why people from China would still take such a great risk to leave your wonderful country, I don’t read of many of my fellow Brits wanting to be smuggled into China.

4 Likes

A truly awful piece of news,I definitely spoke too soon with my ‘story’ of borders , irrational immigration agents and fridges

Borders need to come down. We humans all share our planet. Why do we need boundaries??? Anyone should be able to live anywhere on the planet. It’s now the 21st century!

1 Like

Tragic last text from one of the victims to her family. Also seems like the country of origin might not be China after all. The woman in this article paid 30,000 pounds to be smuggled like this too

These snakeheads and their local collaborators need to spend a LONG time behind bars.

2 Likes

Eh they are Chinese in China. Probably connected to the Party. No chance in hell.

The corrupt CCP is no doubt involved both financially and politically!

Did some searching on the driver. Has a ton of friends and family swearing he’s the nicest guy alive and wouldn’t do this. I’m having a feeling he may have genuinely had no idea they were in there and if that’s the case I really feel for him and the experience of finding the bodies in there like that. something he’ll never be able to shake im sure .

Someone set him up, I’m sure!

No experienced driver would take on the job. It reeks!

He has now been charged with manslaughter and due in court Monday.
(under uk law this still doesn’t mean his guilty)

Edit: more info

Lorry driver Maurice Robinson, 25, has been charged with the manslaughter of the 39 victims as well as people trafficking, immigration and money laundering offences, Essex Police say.

1 Like

Greedy SOB (if he’s guilty ) is going to do serious jailtime. Hopefully more of the smugglers get busted.

2 Likes

Human trafficking seems to be rampant

4 Likes

Really? You’d be open to a free flow of mainlanders into HK?

It’s ironic you support HK right now and think an open border is a good idea. A border is a physical representation of where good ideas end and began. Why HKers are doing everything to keep the influence of the mainland away.

Democracy needs borders.

3 Likes

Funny thing is that is one of the weapons China used against UK to give up HK, or else they would unleash millions of Chinese refugees on them.

And this was back before they were prosperous, yet here we are.

I understand @mokkie 's point of view. If the workforce could move freely then the snakeheads and coyotes of the world would be without a job. Economies would benefit from cheap labor when they need it, people would go where they are wanted and leave for greener pastures when the seasons change, as it was in the beginning of time.

Alas, migrants have become a commodity and a weapon, slavery has not let up. Sometimes it is tribal remnants as racism, sometimes political calculations, but mostly we haven’t learned to live with each other respectfully. And by that I mean not being manipulated in one way or another, whether it is price gauging, power plays or whatever causes people to leave in desperation and end up dead in horrible ways. Yes, because we are all human beings, we are not illegals, and ideally with better distribution of resources we wouldn’t have to resort to pateras and freezing trucks. But the world is wide and belongs to someone else. Someone who sells the water, the land, and leaves millions in hunger for their millions cash in Switzerland.

2 Likes