3rd US Stimulus Check

My check came in the mail about three weeks after the mailing notification.

1 Like

Yeah, the wording is quite ambiguous.

”We scheduled your check to be mailed on…”

But that doesn’t mean they are actually sticking to the schedule.

So far, for me, all 3 checks took roughly 2 1/2 months to get to me here in Taiwan from the date they say they scheduled it to be mailed.

I deposited my 2nd and 3rd checks yesterday into my Taiwan bank account. Took 45 minutes and cost 1,000NT to do.

I cringed at the hit I took though due to the dollar being so weak right now. It is predicted to drop all the way down to 27NT per 1USD by the end of May. On this transaction, I ended up losing about 100USD because of that.

Still nice to have the relief money. Definitely will be put to good use.

For those who did not get the 600 check. You can file for it on your taxes next year. You can file for any missed relief payments or error in payment amounts on your taxes.

2 Likes

Wait…what? :open_mouth:

sorry, my bad.
27NT per 1USD

1 Like

headlines last 24 hours. such efficiency :roll_eyes:

I’m probably the 8th batch :disappointed:

Why did you need to pay to deposit a check?

The US is one of the few places that still uses checks regularly. It wouldn’t be uncommon to have some kind of fee to deposit a check like a transfer fee.

1 Like

I got Joe’s yer welcome letter and threw it out. Then his press lady says we should keep them for taxes. Why? I thought they were tax free?

It’s a special handling fee because banks send checks drawn on foreign institutions for collection.

At least they used to when I worked in banking; nowadays, more and more banks are scanning foreign drafts and remitting electronically. However, we all know how Taiwan seems to be stuck in the 60s regarding banking so I wouldn’t be surprised if most banks here still do things "the old fashioned way "

1 Like

I haven’t had to pay any fees cashing mine. I was just surprised. $1000nt is a lot too.

Are you cashing it or depositing?
A US bank or a Taiwanese bank?
Huge difference.

First Bank.

If I deposit a check in USD, convert it to NTD and withdraw the cash I only have to pay a little over 100nt for everything, even if the checks are for large amounts up to 10K USD. If I just deposit USD I pay nothing.

I do need to wait about two weeks for the checks to clear though. I’ve read that some people get them cleared immediately.

hmmm

mine was done at Cathay United. Perhaps it’s time to open an account at First Bank.

That’s very generous. I was thinking 1930s…

1 Like

That’s a really low fee compared to most others I’ve seen.

Anyone else still waiting on their 3rd check? Or am I the last one?

3 Likes

Me too

By the time this check gets to me GBP/USD will be 1.5 again :sweat_smile: