4,600 more foreign English teachers needed

Jesus. My company (Acer subsidiary) has this rule. When I look down the email chain on emails I’m cced on it’s apocalypse yesterday. Unintelligible. I write all my emails in Chinese of course. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Yeah. Base is 62k (and change) + 5/ 10k housing stipend + 2k ‘attendance bonus’ with BA + teacher certification from home country. IIRC correctly, 67k base for Master’s; 72k for PhD; grows for every year of experience you have in a public/ private school environment with the age group you’re contracted for. I think it caps somewhere around 90k, so it might be +2k for every year of experience up to 10 years (would come out to 92k/ year + 5/ 10k + 2k for a PhD holder if I’m somehow miraculously right about that).

A big bonus in normal times is that every contract offers airfare reimbursement between Taiwan and your home country (up to $40k NT each way).

At minimum level, the value of a public school contract is really $69k NT/ month for a single individual (11 month contract + 1 month completion bonus) + ≤$80k in annual travel bonus. Blows away 99% of hourly cram school jobs I’ve ever seen.

I believe those in elementary schools are income tax exempt on top of it.

You just need that teaching license, though.

1 Like

The teaching license is the big issue. I appreciate why the teaching unions have demanded it, but someone with a DELTA is probably better qualified to teach English language. I don’t have a DELTA by the way.

1 Like

Pay is pretty close. Starting is 62,720 for BA, 69,965 masters, and 73025 PhD. Caps at 78,045 BA, 86,820 masters, and 91,420 PhD. Though each city might have a different pay scale.

The school I’m at actually does a 12 month contract. Still have the completion bonus too.

I do agree though. With the bonuses it is better than a cram school. Though if you break it down to hourly it is still less than a cram school.

A qualified teacher (PGCE + NQT in the UK) teaching a few years in their home country then trying to land a job at TES or TAS would be so much better off. I really don’t get the attraction of the 70k or so public sector gig here.

1 Like

Why says the guy with a Masters and NYS certification…

1 Like

Not teachers per se. White skinned individuals from certain countries is all that the parents are looking for, for their darlings.

“ not accept applications from people not from predominantly English-speaking countries, or who are black or dark-skinned.”

Dark or black skin - yuck. What if they accidentally happen to graze my precious lil ones yellow skin - it’ll turn blaaack! :persevere:

it was so, but not now, iirc.

This is an interesting question. I too have a Master’s in Education, but I couldn’t teach in the public school system in Taiwan.

I would argue that if I had a DELTA I would be more likely to have had more training at second language acquisition than someone who is a certified teacher.

1 Like

Mine is MS in TESOL…viva la difference!

They’re much a muchness.

These are the top contacts on the island. KAS as well. They’re next to impossible to get. As I know from experience, TAS only hires Americans from brand name universities. They also favor their own graduates who go to America then get hired right out of University. I met a few who fit into this category.

The pay is so high, it’s unthinkable for most people on this island. One example I’ll share… The economics teacher at TAS has a PhD from Harvard in economics… Seriously.
A couple years back home isn’t going to help at all imo

This is a tough one, but they need to draw the line somewhere. Ex. I worked with a guy who had a PhD in his field but no teacher’s licence. He wasn’t really able to teach to their level. Being an expert in a subject doesn’t mean you can deal with and teach teenagers. I’m not saying a teacher’s certificate automatically gives you that… But it helps.

1 Like

We’ve all come across the guy with loads of letters after his name who can’t teach. They’re the exception not the rule IME.

I heard that in order to work at TAS or TES you have to be in your home country when you apply. People they hire that are already in Taiwan get a lower pay. If so then it doesnt really work out for people who already settled in here.

Filipinos with bachelor’s degrees can corner the market.

Administrative part is already in fixed with the 'OFWs and migrant workers and factory workers

Of course. They are looking to recruit people with experience in the curricula they are going to teach.

Is it curricula or curricular?

They pay less for on island hires… But the normal pay is double or triple most other schools. I don’t think they even bother with local hires unless they’re stuck. I’ve met people waiting for years to even get an interview. With all the bonuses, TAS pays over 250,000ntd/ per month.(all schools post salaries on some of the paid job sites)

2 Likes

Agreed. I guess the point is they set the requirements and everyone is free to work towards them. Most private high schools have the same requirements, especially if they have certification. I know some people who got hired with MA and told to get the license.
They just set the rule as the same requirement to teach in your home country. Are you able to teach in your home country with what you have?

Holy. With 250,000ntd one could live really well in Taiwan.