7-11 Beer Festival is back!

You could’ve tripled your money with a single PM, but who knew? Coincidentally I only recently discovered that Taiwan has the highest per capita temple to person ratio in the world - well in countries that can count anyway - was that bit of insight in LP your doing?[/quote]

Well, you’ll both be happy to know that today’s China Post ran a story detailing how Thailand is now home to more 7-Elevens than Taiwan. They probably take the temple title, as well! :laughing:[/quote]

Now let’s look at this: [quote]Taiwan has the highest per capita temple to person ratio in the world[/quote]

N=persons
T=number of temples
temple to person ratio r = T/N
per capita temple to person ratio = r / N = (T/N) / N = T / (N*N)

What sort of economical parameter is that ?

However TW may still have more convenience stores because 7/11 is not the only player on the TW market.

10 days and they are already starting to pull the new beer off the shelf. I just went to 4 7-11s trying to find Sam Adams and only managed to get the last 3 warm bottles. Why do they pull it so fast…

Chances are they only ordered so much pre-season. And they are running out. Not pulling them, just selling out. Best go grab what you can.

They dont like to build on explosive success, preferring to cruise on moderate success.

Because they want instantaneous gratification?

I’m currently taking advantage of the special. Got one cold one in front of me and two in the fridge. All for the low low price of NT$100. :discodance:
Just what the doctor ordered after an afternoon playing rugby in this heat. :beer:

I just ordered a case of Sam Adams from my local 7-11 for tomorrow.

Damn, and I’m stuck in Harbin sipping on Hapi. :frowning:

7-11 brings in product either on a “one-off” or a regular product basis. When the product is one-off, they generally bring in just enough to sell out in 3-4 weeks. This is because they require the manufacturer to take returns, which are often not resalable. They generally err on the side of conservatism when they bring in a one-off product.

That’s why the beer we all want to find is in short supply. They didn’t bring in enough, and it won’t become a regular product unless it outsells Taipi and Heineken.

Very true. And Heineken , although being a well received world beer isnt one I like nowadays. But it got a huge boost one summer some years ago when Taiwan Beer’s maker doing a revamp of an important beer plant brought in Heineken as a replacement for the same price as Taipi. And that sealed it for Heineken’s huge following in Taiwan. I remember that one summer all we had was Heineken (instead of Taipi) for the same price too. It was prettty awesome. Considering up to that point basically you only had Taipi if you wanted beer. That was IT in most places.
That was in the 80s or earlier, dont remember. And then they opened up the beer importation and then we got all sorts of stuff , which was/is great.

Probably Heineken wouldnt have enjoyed the success it does today without that one summer when it was KING.

Where the hell are all the Sam Adams? I’ve been to about a dozen stores so far, and I’ve only
found three bottles!

Where’s all the beer gone? The two 7-11s that I normally walk by sold out all their interesting beer a week or so ago. They didn’t exactly get in enough supplies for this month-long festival.

Note to self in 2011 July: buy everything I see in the 7-11, because that good beer won’t be available long, and beer keeps.

[quote=“beteljuice”]Where the hell are all the Sam Adams? I’ve been to about a dozen stores so far, and I’ve only
found three bottles![/quote]

Typical of 7-Eleven here. They import this great selection of beer for their summer beer festival and run out of it within a week or two. For some reason, their marketing dept doesn’t realize that sales of these imported beers goes through the roof every year. This should indicate to them that their usual selection sucks balls and that an update to their regular selection is due. If their marketing dept thinks that by stocking special beers for a couple weeks in order to lure customers in and sell them regular stock once the good stuff has run out, they are out of their minds. If as soon as the temporary new stuff arrives, they notice an influx of sales, that should be enough for them to see where their problem is.

Got nothing to do with the marketing department, they just advertise. This’ll be the buying and sales/accounting departments. Typical case of the left hand not talking to the right. We’ve all been here long enough to know that this is the Taiwanese way. :doh:

Because they want instantaneous gratification?[/quote]
:smiley: but your joke wasnt funny because its "how its done in some parts "

3 questions I would have

1. they have done this festival before and they know the beers sell out fast, why not take a chance and order more beer in the first place.

2. since its a hit, why doesnt 7/11 competitors do the same?

3. if those beers are sellers, why doesnt the distributor of said beer work a bit harder to place those beers at the seven and family mart, etc year round? And/or make them available at supermarkets and hypermarkets?

[quote=“tommy525”]3 questions I would have

1. they have done this festival before and they know the beers sell out fast, why not take a chance and order more beer in the first place.

3. if those beers are sellers, why doesnt the distributor of said beer work a bit harder to place those beers at the seven and family mart, etc year round? And/or make them available at supermarkets and hypermarkets?[/quote]

Because this is Taiwan, and, especially, it’s 7-11 in Taiwan. Their philosophy: If something sells well, stop selling it.

[quote=“tommy525”]3 questions I would have

3. if those beers are sellers, why doesnt the distributor of said beer work a bit harder to place those beers at the seven and family mart, etc year round? And/or make them available at supermarkets and hypermarkets?[/quote]

Tommy, you are using logic, mate. :no-no:

Not a popular concept. :laughing:

:sunglasses: Yes i forgot Taiwan is a parallel universe to logic

p.s. to Chris, yes I can see their point in a way because if they then kept the products on the shelves it would mean a lot of extra work for their already overworked workers. Because of all that moving and restocking required…so mah fan.

How do you know it sells well compared to other produce they could place there? Maybe the margin is higher on their usual crud. Anyway…seemingly they just figured out there is a big demand for fresh salad from xiaojies out there…they are not geniuses.