70 People from 70 Countries Imitate Americans (Taiwanese too)

Compared to what? Children?

They probably only like Star Wars and superhero movies.

1 Like

Compared to people younger than me.

That’s a surprisingly accurate guess.

2 Likes

Romania was the best. I must have met Senegal, but I was probably posing as a Canadian at the time.

Well Star Wars and superheroes are an unsurprisingly basic taste. :tipping_hand_man:

1 Like

Coming from someone who is recommending “Mean Girls” as a bastion of developed culture … Ok la.

3 Likes

That was totally ruflus!

Rufus + ruthless, ah who’m I kidding, Ruflus is never gonna happen…

Don’t be mean.

1 Like

Most of these sound like what I would think Americans sound like if my only exposure to them was from teen movies and reality TV shows. Probably the most extreme example is multiple people saying “That’s so fetch,” which is from the movie Mean Girls, and which I’ve never heard anyone say in real life in my travels to 40-ish US states.

2 Likes

Also good one too

2 Likes

I was standing on a street corner in Warsaw.

This tall burly dude walks by me. I say, “How are you doing?” He turns and looks at me like a deer in headlights, like it was some sort of emergency.

I asked again, “How are you doing?”

He said, “In Poland, not a normal situation.”

We both laughed.

1 Like

Is it a “normal situation” to ask random people who walk by on the street how they’re doing anywhere though?

In USA rural, small towns, and maybe even small cities it’s pretty common. Not in larger cities unless you’re drunk, flirting, or selling something.

1 Like

In rural America, pretty common. In big cities, such as where I live, not common, but people don’t get weirded out and they usually answer you.

Sometimes they’ll say, “You’re not from around here, are you?”

Which is the American way of saying “not a normal situation.”

1 Like

This is also funny. You can see if you know the answers to these questions (state capital, flower, bird, year of statehood and number in the union). Most people don’t know more beyond the state capital lol.

A state capitals are really hard to memorise. Idk why state capital is often not the largest city in the state. Not even second or fifth largest. I mean, Springfield? Olympia? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Why the hell should Americans know anything beyond the state capital? State number? Who gives a rat’s tail?

Americans are mobile; we move from state to state all the time.

The only reason I know my state’s flower is because it’s a poppy.

1 Like

Most were chosen for being either near the geographic center of the state or near the state’s population center (many of which have changed significantly since then) at a time when travel was done on foot or by horse.

1 Like