8-digit (not 9-digit) ID number in old ROC passport

In my deceased father’s 1960s-era ROC passport, there is a handwritten ID number on the first and last pages of the passport, of the form

A-12-345-678

According to Wikipedia, Taiwan’s national ID numbers (after 1965, anyway) consist of 9 digits, with the last digit being a checksum. National identification number - Wikipedia

In my father’s ROC passport, the first letter is A, which seems to indicate Taipei, which seems OK. The following first numeric digit is 1, indicating male, which also seems OK. But the total number of numeric digits is only 8, not 9.

Questions:

1. Have you ever seen an 8-digit ID number in an ROC passport? I’m guessing that some of the earlier 1960s-era ROC passports may not have yet included the 9th digit.

2. If the first letter of the ID number is “A”, then is it correct that for inquiries about my deceased father’s HHR, I should go to a Taipei City HHR office?

3. There seem to be multiple Taipei City HHR offices, listed at Household Registration Offices, Taipei City-Introduction -Contact Information . Do I need to go to a specific office, or can I go to any one of them?

You can use my tool for ID verification.
Just write down the ID and add any number to make it 9 digits.

It will tell you that the checksum is wrong and which correct number is expected at the end. (unless you guess the right one)

🆔 Verify Taiwan ID | Project | slawa.dev

Back then they probably did not have a check number, which today is used to make a basic sanity check to weed out random made up ID numbers.

2 Likes

Interesting! How did you get the specification for computing the checksum? Is that public information?

yes, your guess is right. it wasn’t 9 digit before.

it can be any office. if you want to see the original documents submitted on your fathers hhr, you maybe need to go to the hhr office where the address was registered.

1 Like

Yes, there was some implementation example online. But I improved it and extract any available information one can get from the ID number.

I wrote down an explanation how it is done, but it was not updated yet to include the new ID format for alien residents: https://slawa.dev/post/2019/checking-validity-taiwan-id.html

There are also other implementations available, e.g.

Inclusive Taiwan Identification Number Validation

GitHub - bhomnick/identitytw: Taiwan Identity Inclusiveness Index

1 Like

Awesome tool bro! :+1:

3 Likes

if you are interested in the history,

from 1965 to 1969, the numbers were 8 digit.

4 Likes

Correct me if I am wrong on the rules… But could you post a photo of it? (Ommitting some details of course) I am curious to see it! :slight_smile:

Is he waishenren?

Ig

I have my grand parents passport also in the 60’s same as your fathers but may i see where is your fathers national id.number located?

I believe you, but I couldn’t find that information in the page that you linked to. I was reading the Google translated version, so I might have missed it. Does that page specifically say that from 1965 to 1969, the numbers were 8 digit?

No, but would the ID number be a different format in this case?

My dad is waishenren and his ID number isn’t different…

1 Like

wikipedia seems better.

中華民國國民身分證

1965年4月至1966年5月,第二次全面換證,變成第三代身分證:男為淺綠色,女為淺紅色,改成單頁正面膠封。1965年4月17日,臺灣省陽明山管理局製發的編號第一號身分證,領有者就是當時的中華民國總統蔣中正,字號為「Y10000001」,包括英文字母共九碼,當時尚無檢查號碼。1969年(民國58年)電腦作業,加入第十碼,就是至今最右方的檢查號碼,以及出生登記就編身分證統一編號

臺南市永康戶政-開卷有藝

再現戶政風華

2 Likes

When you open the passport’s front cover, on the very first page (which means the inner side of the front cover), at the very top of the page, is a handwritten number of the form A-12-345-678. Similarly, when you open the passport’s back cover, on the very last page (which means the inner side of the back cover), at the very bottom of the page, is the same handwritten number of the form A-12-345-678. There is no printed text before or after the number to indicate what it is, so I assume that the use of ID numbers on passports was not yet standardized at that time, and that is why the number is handwritten without any printed text explaining what the number is.

Now, because there is no printed text explaining what this handwritten number is, I cannot be 100% sure that this is actually a national ID number – I can only be sure after some Taiwanese office like TECO or the HHR office confirms that this is a valid national ID number. However, because the format of the number (one letter plus 8 numeric digits) conforms to the national ID numbers in use at the time in Taiwan, I have a pretty strong feeling that this is in fact a valid national ID number.

Also, the handwriting used to write the handwritten number does not seem to be my father’s handwriting. That means that this number is not some memo that my father wrote himself into the passport; instead, it’s likely that someone else – maybe someone from the HHR office or some other Taiwanese government office – wrote that number into the passport. If some official person wrote the number into the passport, then that again supports the assumption that this is an official national ID number.

here is a passport issed in 1968 on ruten.

and 1962

you mean your father’s id number on his id card issued between 1965 to 1969 isn’t different?

if you mean his current id number, they did comprehensive replacement of national identity cards a few times, so i guess people whose id number’s format was a letter and 8 digit number were given new id numbers.

4 Likes

I have no idea what his ID card look like back then. He was likely in military academy by then.

Tando may i ask if you know only…where in this 2 photos that you have given that can locate that national id.number?coz i have read what hayashi said about his passport(When you open the passport’s front cover, on the very first page (which means the inner side of the front cover), at the very top of the page, is a handwritten number of the form A-12-345-678. Similarly, when you open the passport’s back cover, on the very last page (which means the inner side of the back cover), at the very bottom of the page, is the same handwritten number of the form A-12-345-678.)i was confused coz i cant find any handwritten about the letter and the number or maybe i cant read chinese characters and what i had encircle the printed number which is passport numbers and the printed chinese characters coz that time there are already printed aside from handwritting chinese characters

and this is the last page and i cant also find the handwritten of national id.number.

In my father’s passport, there is a handwritten number that is missing in the example photos that you posted.

Here is your example photo of the first page (which means the inside side of the front cover).

You have circled in orange color the first page, on the left side of the photo. In my father’s passport, at the top of this page is the hand-written number of the form A12-345-678 with no explanation of what the number is.

Here is your example photo of the last page (which means the inside side of the back cover).

You have circled in red color the last page, on the right side of the photo. In my father’s passport, at the bottom of this page is the hand-written number of the form A12-345-678 with no explanation of what the number is.

I guess that you are trying to find your relative’s national ID number, but you don’t know if it exists or not. Maybe you can try asking at an HHR office in Taiwan or at BOCA and showing the old passport to ask if the national ID number exists or not.

If you need help with the Chinese language to talk with the Taiwanese HHR office or BOCA office, maybe this company can help: MONTORU. I don’t have any experience with them, but I recently found this company online, and maybe I will use their services in the future. They seem to do translation work for people who need to communicate with Taiwanese government offices. So maybe you could write to them and ask them if they could help you ask at the Taiwan HHR office or BOCA office about your relative’s passport and national ID number (if it exists).