A Chinese economy thread

I don’t think that’s on the horizon anytime soon. More likely that they will close off the country.

1 Like

Even so, if things are that bad they may still find it convenient to have a little external conflict to distract their population from internal problems. :expressionless:

Its not a little conflict, its a war with the US and allies.

They could do it, but who knows? Honestly who knows what they are thinking

I don’t really get the point that they need to distract the population, it’s not a democracy, and they own all the guns and media anyway.

1 Like

If China rises to hegemon, Taiwan is doomed for sure nothing anyone can do about it. I’ll take my chances with a weak China thank you.

Yes, and unfortunately what checks and balances there were have been steadily eroded since 2012. I don’t think it would be a good move for them, but maybe Xi will thinknit isnthe best move at the time

Yes, and they have other conflict options. India, for example, would be easier to stir up as a distraction.

If the Chinese economy is strong and everything is fine there with no need for distraction, that is also a danger for us in Taiwan, maybe more so

If the economy is troubled and they feel the need for a distraction, there are easier options. I mentioned India, but non military actions also. They could go all in on BRICS and BRI, throwing money and people and attention that way. Or climate change could be a national emergency, especially after the recent flooding. Preparedness, mitigation, and management

If the economy totally tanks, which is highly unlikely, I think they’ll want to keep the army around to maintain power. But I think this is unlikely and will be a global problem

Anyways, it is all hypotheticals, because we can’t know what is really happening now, what will happen later, and especially what Xi will decide as the path unfolds

Honestly, who knows what they are thinking

2 Likes

it’s best to have decent China economy or even strong
they’ll only care about getting rich, nothing more

it’s when there is chaos or CCP about to lose power that brings risk to Taiwan

1 Like

There isn’t that much of a strong historical case for countries using war as a distraction for a failing economy. It often gets thrown around, but it’s not the likeliest scenario.

I don’t think the chance of war is that dependent on the economy, or even connected to it. Thats my take anyway. They dont need distractions

Yeah I think its good to focus on the situation now.

2 Likes

Yeah, i still tend to disagree. But who knows? The worst position here is one of certainly.

off topic, Jack Ma’s an idiot and just a figurehead, played by his masters, the CCP, which no longer need him. so, funny you’d use him as a meme

If the CCP were only interested in money, they wouldn’t have castrated their figurehead as a warning to others. They are interested in power, and everything Xi has done suggests an interest in legacy and hegemony.

2 Likes

Yes all of the evidence says that Xi’s biggest concern isn’t money or the economy, it’s the stability of the party, also personal legacy.

1 Like

This is fun, because it basically summarizes what we’ve already said :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Seems like a lot of money

1 Like

China’s GDP last year was something like $17T, and domestic market cap around $12T so, yeah, by any measure this is a pretty serious hit. However, it wasn’t hard to see coming, my only question is what’s behind the timing - why not sooner, or later, what changed to trigger the stampede? :thinking: (Maybe just a tipping point in algorithmic trading systems?)

1 Like

exactly. the survival of CCP dynasty is of upmost importance to him. how he succeeds, if so, is what no one knows

1 Like

A lot of people think it’s organized destruction.

As in they knew the real estate bubble was going to burst and they are trying now to deflate it themselves to make it less ugly, but it’s still now pretty

1 Like

'Orrible place

She Rose From Poverty as China Prospered. Then It Made Her Poor Again. https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/29/business/china-small-business.html?smid=nytcore-android-share

Weeks after her release, a court would seize her two-bedroom apartment in Xianyang in Shaanxi Province and her Toyota Camry because she was insolvent, and put her on a national blacklist. She can no longer book a hotel room or a plane ticket, or take out a loan.

Expect a massive flood of Chinese out of China this year to everywhere EXCEPT Taiwan…the debtors ain’t going anywhere though.

Actually Taiwan has 100,000s of failed business people especially from the 90s period but at least they can book a hotel room or plane ticket.

Rising tide lifts all boats, withdrawing tide exposes the mud cracks.

1 Like
4 Likes

Yep seems like a terrible way to create a distraction.

1 Like
1 Like