A day of dignity

I rarely visit Forumosa, but I am so frustrated/livid, I couldn’t think of anything else to do but to post something here. This is a kind of rambling rant punctuated with a suggestion. First, the rant.

During the approach to Nancy Pelosi’s visit, a student said to me that if China were to attack Taiwan, he would throw his hands up in surrender. And, he raised his arms high to emphasize his point. Not the first time I have ever heard that from Taiwanese and not unreasonable, in my opinion. He doesn’t really know me, so I did not take it especially personally, but he said something to the effect that ‘you’re a foreigner, so you can just leave when they come’. This is also a reasonable point of view, and like everybody else in Taiwan, I imagine, I have thought about if, when, and how I would leave Taiwan if an invasion were imminent and what I would do if I chose not to leave or were unable to do so.

This student, I suspect, was mostly venting his frustration about Pelosi’s visit on me. Even after all my years here and my opinions about the Taiwanese right to self-determination, I still do not have the foggiest idea what I would do if I thought an invasion were imminent. And, that is what I told the student.

China’s blockade and harassment of Taiwan over the last week or so has brought some clarity, however. Taiwan and her allies have been caught flat-footed. If the Chinese are going to constantly be running ‘exercises’ in the Taiwan Strait, is the US Navy going to push them out? I am skeptical. If they don’t, however, then China has taken the Strait. When they decide to intensify the blockade ‘exercises’, is the US then going to come to the rescue? China seems to think they can boil this frog and nobody will ever find the temperature too hot to do anything about it. Taiwan is virtually powerless to decisively break a blockade alone. A “porcupine” on an island can be starved out.

This is not quite the point, however. In my debate with myself and those close to me about what we ought to do–stay or leave, hide or fight–I have proposed that first and foremost, we owe Taiwan something. It is just wrong to let a country like China to annihilate a country like Taiwan and do absolutely nothing to prevent it. I do not know that I am obliged to stay in Taiwan, but I am obliged to do something for Taiwan. To speak out, at the very least.

But, what ought I say? It would be wrong for me to encourage Taiwan to fight to death, if I am not willing to pay that price, as well. It would also be wrong for me to encourage my country to fight for Taiwan if I am not going to be the one doing the fighting. Why should some kid in my home town die for my warm feelings about Taiwan if I am not willing to fight for the country? It might be reasonable to argue that my country should defend Taiwan for their own good; this is something I go back and forth on. I tend to think that my country has intervened enough in this world and that it is time to let everybody sort out their own problems. Things at home seem to be deteriorating fairly rapidly anyway. But, if China takes Taiwan, then it will have a strangehold on everything from Japan to Australia. What a horrible world that would be.

Since China has begun its ‘exercises’ around Taiwan, I have seen a lot of Taiwanese public officials in the media and private individuals on social media declare that they are ‘not afraid’ and that they will ‘fight to the death’ if China attacks and even that Taiwan has shown its fearlessness and resolve over the last couple weeks.

I do not see it that way. I did not rush to the store to stock up on goods, not because of my bravery, but because I do not think it was necessary. I am pretty sure most Taiwanese feel the same. I think some of these declarations of bravery and resolve are sincere and, of those, some will really be acted upon when (God forbid) that day comes. But, I think most of it is hot air. It’s like me going to Keelung and shaking my fist in the direction of the PLAN. Feels good and costs absolutely nothing.

Maybe the hot air is better than nothing. Maybe it boosts morale. Maybe it encourages the international community to show some support for Taiwan, and maybe that gives Taiwan just a little bit of breathing space for a moment longer. But, it seems a cold comfort to me.

The breaking point for me came last night when I saw the report in the Guardian (reported earlier in the week by Nikkei, I think) about Taiwan asking suppliers to label Taiwanese products as made in China.
Apple asks suppliers in Taiwan to label products as made in China – report | Apple | The Guardian

I thought to myself, why don’t the Taiwanese boycott Apple? I knew the answer instantly, of course. Taiwan and Taiwanese companies are heavily dependent on Apple’s business. If the Taiwanese responded to every snub by refusing to participate, the economy would be wrecked. Taiwan needs Apple more than China does, and Apple needs China more than Taiwan does, and Apple can ask the Taiwanese to do this and they will do it, because they don’t have a choice. Everybody is complicit, and it is not unreasonable to comply, to surrender in this little way. There is a time to be a martyr, but you cannot martyr yourself over every slight.

But, I think it is unreasonable to be passive. And despite all the bluster about ‘bravery’ and ‘fighting to the last day’, I sense mostly passivity. This morning, for whatever reason, this quote popped into my head:

Le tocsin qu’on va sonner n’est point un signal d’alarme, c’est la charge sur les ennemis de la patrie. Pour les vaincre, messieurs, il nous faut de l’audace, encore de l’audace, toujours de l’audace, et la France est sauvée.

Not promises to be daring “when that day comes”. Nor a reckless bravery that does more harm to one’s country than to the enemy. A disciplined but spontaneous will to victory that is constantly practiced and strengthened.

I think about the bravery and (occasional) stupidity of the protests in Hong Kong. They faced near-impossible odds and failed. The best ended up in prison or escaped; everybody else went back to work. In Taiwan, for those who actually were to follow through on their promises of future bravery, I am afraid it would be similarly squandered. In my opinion, every reasonable effort should be expended to prevent China from landing on Taiwan instead of preparing (or posturing) to fight some futile resistance from the mountains. The resistance has to begin from the moment they start putting their hands around Taiwan’s throat looking for the best grip.

I also think about the Raid on the Dharasana Saltworks, dramatized here in Gandhi:
Gandhi salt works - YouTube

“They expect us to lose heart or fight back. We will do neither.” A strike at the will of the enemy (and their enablers) that builds one’s own morale and cohesion but that does not threaten to cause a war or blow up one’s own cause out of a sense of righteous indignation.

So, to make a long story short, I have decided, as a foreigner who is sympathetic to Taiwan, to boycott all Apple products for a week culminating in a “day of dignity”, October 10 (thus, October 4-10). It makes little difference, of course. I am one person. But, if everybody in Taiwan did this, I think it would achieve something. If Taiwan’s Apple stores were left empty for one week, I think it would send a message to Apple, to China, to the world but most importantly to the Taiwanese themselves.

No protests are necessary, no calls to ban Apple from Taiwan, no disruption to Apple’s operations, no export/import bans. People could buy all the Apple products they wanted on October 3 or October 11. Apple’s business won’t be harmed at all, and there will be no shame in buying or using Apple products. But, the Taiwanese people lodge a protest against these demands.

Perhaps people will think this is a pointless gesture. If it does not inflict damage, then it serves no purpose, I imagine the complaint would be. But, the alternative, as far as I can tell, is doing absolutely nothing. It is my opinion is that now is the time to begin mass consumer strikes (or “exercises”, as people have started to say).

If the objection is that you can’t get Taiwanese people to engage in these kinds of actions (whatever the value of my particular idea), then I think that is the point. If the Taiwanese cannot conduct these kinds of peaceful mass campaigns in the face of an existential threat, then they would probably doing themselves and the world a favor to negotiate the best possible surrender.

If the objection is “it’s too soon; wait for things to get worse”, I think that would prove that the nobody has any real intention of doing anything. As a foreigner, I would certainly feel less obliged to make anything but the most modest efforts to support Taiwan’s right to self-determination.

I am sure I have stepped on somebody’s toes in this post, since this is the internet. But, this is mostly the product of my own internal conflict about how to respond in the future to developments that are occurring right now. If everybody hates it, that’s fine, I guess. I can boycott Apple by myself, and it will hurt absolutely nobody.

Mostly, I am curious if someone can produce a case against this idea based on the notion that it is reasonable to expect that such an action would ultimately hurt Taiwan. Thanks for taking the time to read this carefully.

10 Likes

Why not make the ban permanent? I’ve never bought an Apple product in my life, and have no plans to do so.

25 Likes

Taiwanese love Apple more than anything else.

1 Like

If Taiwan were serious about fighting a PLA invasion it would have universal two-year conscription minimum and hardcore military training. It would also have a national guard which millions of civilian men and women belonged to and who actively received professional training in weapons and guerilla warfare tactics because it will take every last citizen to defeat the PLA.

It has none of that. If you ask the average former conscript if Taiwan is prepared to resist a PLA invasion they’ll laugh. Most Taiwanese will give you a blank look if you ask them what they’ll do if China invades. The real “plan” is to rely on the US to save them but that’s just a pipe dream.

6 Likes

Wow… a whole week. Are you sure you’ll be able to manage?

9 Likes

Very well written. If you want the rest of Taiwan to join, however, I’d suggest posting your idea in Chinese and posting to social media. Your appeal will likely grab little attention here.

4 Likes

Sorry, I did the almost two year conscription and the whole thing is a joke. Boot camp is a joke and they need to be at least twice as long as they need to be, with options for a few recycles for those who can’t make it (or at least sent to desk duty or civil service).

PT test for our boot camp consists of them picking the best performing squad and have them do the PT. They don’t test everyone I guess because they can’t afford to. PT requirements are also a joke.

Fact is most soldiers in Taiwan spend more time cutting grass than actual fighting. Reportedly PLA is the same, they spend more time cutting grass than fighting wars or learning to fight wars too.

Two year conscription is going to be political suicide for whoever get it through the lawmaking process.

Also I’ve heard from almost everyone through the chain of command that they’d kill the commanding officer and surrender if it ever comes to war.

2 Likes

Take away Taiwanese iPhones and it will be instant Anschluss. The invaders will get bouquets of flowers thrown at them.

1 Like

This is why I regularly contact my MP. My influence alone is small, but it’s basically voting with a voice.

4 Likes

What exactly does “boycotting apple for a week” even mean? that makes literally zero sense…after a week you start supporting them again? If so, your students’ frustration is justified.

I also boycott them. always, and forever. Not just a week. They are a disgraceful company that deserves no support! Taken further, just stop buying made in china altogether. it is actually quite easy to do so with very little effort.

5 Likes

I’m coming up on a 49 year boycott of all Apple products.

Seriously, if China invades Taiwan go somewhere else. Don’t die over somebody else’s issues.

4 Likes

Come on man, the guy has good intentions. Don’t shit on the guy because he doesn’t go “all the way.” At least he is showing that he cares. As a non-native, at least he’s doing something. Take your frustration or anger or whatever it maybe towards native Taiwanese that doesn’t want to do shit and expects someone else to fight their war for them.

As to the poster, you stumped my toe hard and I felt it, but it woke me. I plan to boycott Apple products and anything relating to Apple, including their stocks, going forward.

7 Likes

no anger or anything. None of what you said is what I am saying or asking. Just pointing out Apple is a shit company, nothing to do with Taiwan…though Foxconn isequally as shit a company and they are buddies.

Legitimate question. What is boycotting apple for a week lol? they arent exactly things you buy every day. I can see ones students being frustrated, or at least confused, hearing that.

I am boycotting Toyota for a week. etc. Logistically a no duh and meaningless.

1 Like

Which is why they should go for a one year service as a compromise. Vastly better than 4 months of nothing. But also, the content of the service needs to be massively upgraded.

I think this paragraph is the most important part of your entire (well-written, coherent) post.

FWIW I already took my family from Taiwan in part because I don’t think the Taiwanese can - or will - stand up to China.

4 Likes

:thinking:

A thoughtful essay. I’ve always thought that boycotts are an underutilized tool for social change. So much easier now with the Internet. Perhaps pick different companies for one day boycotts and keep repeating. them on a regular basis. Businesses look at only one thing - bottom line. Most companies that pulled out of Ukraine did so with an eye on profits, not from moral convictions.

1 Like

Burn down the Apple!

posted from my iPhone

4 Likes

It’s over. Righteously indignant defenders of Taiwan’s freedom can return to r/taiwan for admiration of 101 pictures again.

1 Like

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I appreciate everyone’s help in thinking this through.

Yes, what a message it would send if the Apple stores in Xinyi and 101 were empty for a week, especially October 10.

Good point. In my opinion, a limited, targeted ‘consumer strike’ (a temporary boycott) on a high-visibility target might get people into the habit of thinking about how/what it would take to actually coordinate a fight.

I think it has to be something that everybody or a majority of people could get behind. There are a few reasons attempting a permanent ban would probably not work. 1. It would damage Taiwan’s economy. 2. People are not going to give up their phones for these kinds of slights. 3. No clear targets or goals means it will just be some other cause.

You’ve almost got it!

Thank you. I agree that posting this on a Chinese-language site would get more attention. As a foreigner, I do not wish to harangue/push Taiwanese into any campaigns. This is an idea I have that I think would be effective. If I do it alone, it harms nobody. If other Taiwanese got wind of it and started to plan it out and take ownership of it, that would be ideal. I am still wrestling with what to do with this.

Sounds like morale is very low indeed. In my experience, morale can be built through small victories and demonstrations of solidarity.

I am definitely not advocating anybody permanently stop buying Apple products over this (that’s up to each individual). My guess is that Apple would rather not be doing Beijing’s bidding on this point, but what does anybody expect them to do? Taiwan continues to call itself the “Republic of China”. Because Taiwan is forced to. Taiwan, Apple, the companies in Taiwan that will comply with this demand, everybody, is stuck with this problem.

Yes, mine too. A one-week boycott only makes sense if a massive majority of Taiwanese follow through. If they don’t, and it’s just me, then I haven’t hurt a single soul. I see this ‘small influence’ as a feature, not a bug. If you get ‘great influence’, you’ll end up like Xi Jinping.

Maybe I overdid it! Thanks!

Thanks for your support!

Thank you for saying so. I agree. I think this is the crux of the matter. From my own selfish point of view, I would like to know if the Taiwanese are going to engage in even the slightest practical resistance before I decide how/when to leave and how much support I ought to give. If the Taiwanese can’t be bothered, then I respect their choice, but I don’t see the point in helping out or sticking around, and I would be against my country intervening.

Yes! I would not want to overdo it, but after China’s stunt this last week and these kinds of headlines about forcing Taiwanese companies to bend the knee, I think this is an opportunity to express a bit of defiance and show a grassroots will to organize a firm but gentle response. As a rule of thumb, I think every time China puts one of these humiliations in an international paper, that would call for a retaliatory boycott.

I’ll take your word that the question is legitimate. I think if, for one week, Taiwanese stopped buying Apple products and stopped going into Apple stores, it would get Apple’s attention and most importantly, the Taiwanese people could demonstrate to themselves that they have agency. The whole point of China’s ‘exercises’ last week is to make the Taiwanese feel powerless.

When people complain that a one week boycott is too small, that’s the beauty of it, in my opinion. For one week, empty these stores. See what happens.

In 2019, in a private capacity, I went to Hong Kong to report on the protests. I think there is a lot to learn from them. One is the power of mass spontaneous resistance. But, it is my opinion that they ultimately accelerated the process they were trying to resist. I think that was in part deliberate. They wanted the beast to show its true colors, and they succeeded in doing that, but I am not sure the price was worth it. Even if it was, I thought that it degenerated into blind fury at times. I saw pro-democracy protesters intimidate (smashing glass bottles in front of them, etc) single individuals who came out to voice their disagreement. Other freelancers who did not tow the line were also intimidated. Businesses that were deemed pro-Beijing were burnt down. I understand it, but I do not think it was right or effective. If there are any Hong Kongers in here, perhaps they can better speak to that. In any case, I do not think that would be at all appropriate for Taiwan.

If people want to boycott Apple permanently, that’s fine with me. That’s everybody’s right. But, that is not the point. I would want what is best for Taiwan to be the focus. I want something that is achievable but does no meaningful harm to the Taiwanese economy.

2 Likes