A friend of mine is being abused by her Taiwanese husband

I have a friend from Singapore that has been married to a Taiwanese man for a good couple years. They have 2 children but the man is a menace and very abusive. Cops have been involved many times and she has been sent to the hospital a couple times too. He physically, verbally and emotionally abuses her and he has been known to hurt his children too. She has videos that she took while hiding her phone of arguments and she even recorded him yesterday while they argued and he ended up kicking her. This man is dangerous to her and their kids. He couldn’t care less about her and makes life hard on her by not even supporting his wife. She doesn’t have a job either but does have an arc and wants to look for work. He has also been taken to prison multiple times for drug abuse. What can she do? She wants to take herself and her kids away from this man legally. I’ve heard of women’s rights in Taiwan and that she can report him as long as she has evidence but what is the best route for her?

@Marco 's lawyer’s number will be along shorty, I expect.

Sounds like a terrible situation. Hope your friend gets it sorted out.

2 Likes

This is what @Marco has posted previously:

1 Like

The OP has stated that “her friend” has no job and is virtually penniless. Does everyone really think she’s going to get a private lawyer to work pro bono on this case?

3 Likes

A - Stranger things have been known to happen.
B - That’s merely one of many paths, who knows, someone may come along and post something else that’s helpful, instead of snarky. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Report to police They will also refer her to women’s protection.
Department

If need I can ask my relatives in Taiwan police

8 Likes

Thats terrible they need to get out of there right away or get him barred.
There are government services for victims of domestic abuse. She should call 113.

7 Likes

You’re turning a head a few pages there, aren’t you? A phone call to the lawyer costs nothing and he may have some advice to possible actions that do not involve the law, ie, governmental intervention, or payment.

What’s yer beef? :idunno:

6 Likes

I am very sorry for your friend; sympathies for her.

If she has been with him for a number of years, and from the sound of it his abusive behavior is a pattern of behavior rather than a flare-up, then she also might need to do some introspection as to why she feels compelled to stay in an abusive relationship at the expense of her peace of mind and health (see linked article).

She is a free person; just go and don’t look back.

5 Likes

Yeah, I was kinda thinking along these lines - it’s actually much harder to leave these situations than it appears (to outsiders). But contacting the support groups will help. Doing it alone is next to impossible, for any number of reasons.

5 Likes

Important to do it the right way as a foreigner with kids, don’t want to be accused of kidnapping and lose custody and get kicked out of the country. I’m assuming she doesn’t want to just walk away and leave the kids with the abusive man

6 Likes
8 Likes

113 is the number to report domestic violence. If she doesn’t speak Mandarin, they have services in English and others. They are available day and night. It’s run by a charitable groups that works with the government. At minimum, they’ll help report the matter to social workers, but in a case like this, they will probably help get the woman and children to a shelter, possibly help with legal matters. Anyone can make a report, even a friend. The more evidence, the better. Pictures, etc. can be emailed to them, but one should call to open a case first.
Years ago, they could only be called from a landline, but it looks like they can be called from a cellphone now. It’s not required to give a name if the person being abused is not the one making the call.

6 Likes

Shelter, legal aid.

7 Likes

Since she’s in another country IDK if holding an arc is enough for getting help from the laf but just in case…

https://ww.laf.org.tw

Thy might have a SG branch.

Here you go! This is my lawyer and he speaks English fluently.

@Amanda

1 Like

Since she is in Taiwan, her representative office might want to step in on her behalf.

1 Like