A month of Keto

Yeah I cut back on bread, rice, noodles, est more veg and soups and some protein here and do my cardio exercise. Sometimes go a little bit hungry but it’s a sign I’m not overeating to me. . Hey presto I am steadily losing weight, endurance has improved and gaining a bit of muscle definition too.
Now if I’m going for body building I may need to switch up the diet.
I may try extra protein, the eggs as suggested, maybe the protein powders . Eating all that extra fat for that keto diet It just sounds gross to me and not sustainable . Sorry if Im off topic.

Marasan makes a good point that high fat could stave off the hunger. High fat long term could be bad for you though. It also has a lot of calories.

2 Likes

It’s good to reduce your weight and if you can now switch up your diet, great.
However most ppl who crash diet put it back on within a year .
Doing a starvation diet is good for treating diabetes though !

When I travel for work I fill up with a lot of veg and noodle soup at breakfast and it really helps me stop putting on weight when I’m on the road. Never thought I’d eat veg for breakfast :grin:.

I guess healthy fats is the goal. To me, it’s confusing as hell because it’s so counter-intuitive. Cacao nibs! Who knew? Love those and got them at home.

1 Like

Definitely all fats are NOT created equally. Good list above.
Healthy fats all the way if possible. I am not anti fat and I’m firmly in the anti sugar camp. I’m just aware that some fats are bad for you (the trans fats especially , the LDLs) and all fats have a lot of calories.

PS we eat almost pure chocolate at home so I think we were onto it too :grin:

1 Like

I am watching you know :howyoudoin:

2 Likes

Yeah it sounds like a high amount of fat but it’s not the volume. If you put all that on a plate it would only be 1/4 of the plate and mixed with protein so you wouldn’t really notice or even an avocado or other good fat.

Can also consider intermittent fasting that raises HGH conserving body mass and muscle.

When on keto people have a tendency to also do intermittent fasting because you lose appetite in keto. But combining the two without adequate minerals nutrients and vitamins, that can be challenging to maintain if not diligent, can cause inclination towards keto flu.

Day 2:

62% fat, 34% protein, 3.5% carbs (14g net carbs)

1616 calories

Exercise: 5 km jog

3 Likes

Keep in mind carbs can go to low which is common because people think lower is better. I did that and it was not fun.

I kept my carbs below 20g for a couple weeks but then at one point after a long hot hike almost passed out which never happened to me before in my life. It could have been other factors like not enough fat but I think it was carb to low. I later adjusted to keeping them below 30g.

I am not a doctor. Food for later thought.

Yeah I once went almost three days with minimal carbs in order to force ketosis.

I went into ketosis no problem, but turns out my blood pressure drops as a side effect. On the third night I lifted and couldn’t understand why I was so dizzy that I had to drape myself all over nearby machines. Definitely possible to overdue it at first (forcing ketosis is one thing, but once you’re there it’s an entirely different set of circumstances). Now if I’m trying to enter ketosis, I make sure to eat a small banana or a small apple an hour before I lift, screw the carbs and screw the setback.

I appreciate the input. I am still trying to tweak my diet to get things right. So far so good though.

It takes time to tweak believe me I think everybody will say that. It took me a few weeks to mostly get it right and then maybe another month to really get focused in and managing it well.

All the time reading more and watching videos about it.

Good start
Be careful with the exercise and jogging if getting back into it. Weight effects are not linear it’s actually significantly tougher on the knees and ankles if you are heavier (another great reason to lose weight ) . I myself have been running on a treadmill which I found easier going, less injuries especially when getting into running. Although you might want to check that as it’s anecdotal. Think about some swimming as well?

Yes! Do intervals as it’s tempting to do tons of slow laps with little benefit. And definitely do take advantage of the dry and wet saunas at most pools.

1 Like

On day one I weighed 237. On day two I weighed 234.2. I expect that’s mostly water weight I’m losing.

On both days I ate a cobb salad for lunch, and a low carb dinner around six p.m. I don’t know if I’m in ketosis but I am going very low carb, with the result that I don’t feel hungry. And since I’m eating meals at noon and six p.m., I suppose I’m fasting for the other 18 hours each day.

No effort required so far, but I haven’t started to exercise yet. I will stick to my eating schedule and see how it goes.

1 Like

I sometimes notice a change of 3 lb in one day if I go to the gym twice and use the same scale in the same day. Sometimes I’m up over a kilo end of the day and sometimes I’m down over a kilo end of the day.

I now try to set the same preconditions every time I use a scale like not having a meal recently and not drinking a lot of water before and going to the restroom first.

Using a high quality digital scale so I know it’s not changing during the day.

Bought a durian last night. I guess that was the wrong thing to do!

I was hoping for some redeeming value but

Screenshot_20190831-132355_Carb%20Manager

1 Like

Yes, for one cup! They really need to make an energy gel for long distance sports with that.

With what…Durian ? I like durian myself . :grin:
A company I used to work for made flavoured glucose snacks for sports enthusiasts.
Are you saying a one cup keto meal?

1 Like