A month of Keto

Regular keto plus unlimited beer?

2 Likes

It’s literal…count your carb, protein, and fat grams. Make sure you are getting most of your calories from fat, most recommend 65% at minimum targeting 75-80%. You have to know what’s going into your body and track it carefully…there are trackers that make this pretty easy.

My guess is the carbs in fried chicken at Mos would put you close to or over your limit for the day.

So the app I am using says I should not exceed 26g of carbs. Wow, that is low. I definitely failed for day one - I was around 58g of carbs. Breakfast of blueberries and full fat yogurt were the culprit for sure (responsible for 24g of carbs). Slowly but surely tweaking it to get it right.

Today: 65% fat, 23% protein, 11% carbs. 2142 calories.

Exercise: walked 2.8 km

Today I had black coffee for breakfast, and a Cobb salad for lunch. If I was home I would use olive oil and some vinegar on a salad like this. In a restraunt I only used a little dab of dressing, then realized the dressing is full of sugar and who-knows-what. Ate my salad with salt and pepper.

20190829_111212

Did not feel any hunger.

Dinner was my wife’s bolognese sauce with pork and beef (yes the tomatos add some carbs), with butter added, and an egg fried with coconut oil (extra oil added), and a handful of spinach leaves

Feeling satisfied, not hungry. I will fast until lunch tomorrow.

If too low and especially if doing any aerobic exercise like walking, then might feel some dizziness, etc. Should be adjustable on the app.

Just throwing this out maybe already known. Cobb salad is good without the corn that usually comes in Cobb salad. Most tomato sauce from the store has sugar and carb.

Real butter is great and even recommended.

I’m fairly certain chicken nuggets are very high in carbs. Non-breaded, non-sweet chicken wings are the best you can do to come close. And be careful, almost all regular BBQ sauces throw in a ton of sugar.

None of this is intuitive to me. And when I talk to others, it isn’t for them either. For example, I never knew avocados had a high amount of fat. And shooting for 65% fat as a percentage of overall calories, well, I think I’ve got some research to do.

Thanks for that. I’m not interested in going on a true keto diet. But I would like to learn a bit about it and implement what others in this forum have called lazy keto. So the idea is to go for some high fat so that I feel satiated, then maybe shoot for 100g of carbs, maybe even 150g on the weekends when I exercise quite a bit more.

10KG in a month seems pretty extreme . I aimed for 6KG in about three months. It’s coming off with no great pain.

The trick (for me ) is maintaining healthy habits. Avoiding the carbs (mostly ) and the burgers and the soft drinks and the beer .

Regular cardio exercise has worked well for me. With high intensity cardio you feel fantastic (the circulation improves, heart function) after 30 minutes even (you can burn 300, 400 cals) and then add in gym sessions you will be in better (look and feel better) shape in no time. A great motivator to keep it up!

I agree that a keto-dieter needs to add in more carbs for extensive cardio workouts, such as serious endurance biking or running. I don’t think carbs are necessary for a walk!

Can’t mix the high fat and high carbs. You’ll just keep or gain weight plus not healthy.

“Lazy keto” people usually still keep the daily carb down very low maybe around 50.

1 Like

No nuggets as 6 pieces are 20g carb. Plain unbreaded chicken wings are good at 0 carbs plus needed fat. Here’s the data. Ketogenic "Keto" diet in Taiwan - #263 by tango42

This is a good example of things I didn’t know but thought I did know.

1 Like

If he’s training for endurance sports he may need to add those carbs back into his diet. I don’t think an athlete can do serious long workouts, with intensity, on super low carbs.

2 Likes

Guys, you needed to add more greens. Salad is Ok but here in Taiwan we have all those green leaves spinach cousins that are great by themselves or with meat. cruciferous vegetables are your friend. If not enough, buy those green juice packets, add water, have one a day and you´re OK.

Remember that mineral water helps with cramps. Coconut oil is great for cooking.

You have all the veggies at your disposal, except potatoes/sweet potatoes. There are a lot of choices. Imagine just going to the huo guo buffet, you can have anything but rice or noodles. This diet is not restrictive at all.

1 Like

What dat? Got pics?

Stuff like this:
https://tw.iherb.com/c/greens-superfoods-blends

But you have to be careful because some have fruits and sugar added.

This one I like:
20190830_104548

And since we better not have milk, this option is very tasty:
20190830_104829

1 Like

Eat liver to get your nutrients

1 Like

I’m not doing long workouts any more since I’ve almost completely stopped cycling. I do want to start up again. I think if I were going on long rides, I would want some carbs at least on those days. And I wouldn’t gain anything either, as long as I kept things in check between weekends. This is something I have experienced. Cycling up mountains keeps my weight in check, even with very high carbs on the days I cycle.

I’ve had very good results even at around 100g. Maybe then just calling it low carb would make more sense. But high fat to feel satiated and keeping that as part of my daily routine is something I find interesting. Right now, I’m doing a low calorie lunch and I watch the carb intake at dinner. Some days, that makes for a very hungry person for the few hours leading up to dinner. Maybe I don’t need to put myself through that torture.

1 Like

Removed.

I have fighter’s metabolism. just needed to turn it on. A lot of water weight there.